*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1538887-Blood-Dawn-Part-2
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #1538887
Second Half of the Blood Dawn story
Blood Dawn
Part 2

“Oh, come on Kayna! Lighten up! It’s not going to kill you to sit through one sermon, and after all you suggested it.” Kayna scowled, but this did not seem to deter her friend. “You and Arien both said that you wanted to see what this new Priest was like. You haven’t seen those so-called Guardians of yours once since he took over, right? So maybe he’s not so bad.”
Guardians or no, her own suggestion or no, Kayna was thoroughly not enjoying the prospect and Mara’s bright cheer was getting downright annoying. Not to mention Arien’s smug smile at the mention of the Guardians…in fact, that was just too much. Kayna sighed, and replied acidly, “Earth below me, give me strength. If this sermon doesn’t kill me outright, I’m going to shoot myself.” Her tone suddenly changed to one dripping sarcastic sweetness. “And Arien, don’t think I don’t see that smirk.” Heedless of her tone, Arien’s smirk only widened, at least until something cold and wet smacked the side of his head with a solid slap. Mara appeared, somehow, to move several feet away from him instantly without actually moving, trying to avoid getting caught by the cold, wet spray of snow off of his head. Though Kayna was apparently looking straight ahead up the trail, the look of smug satisfaction slowly spreading across her face belied the attempt at innocence. It wasn’t lost to Arien.
“Kayna, that wasn’t necessary!” Mara protested.
“Neither was that smirk.” She grinned.
“Just you wait,” Arien told Kayna, who ignored him until a massive, white snowball shot past, missing her entirely but impacting quite solidly into Mara’s white mare, who danced a little then turned to give Arien as thoroughly a disgusted look as a horse could manage.
“Arien, I think she’s telling you she could aim better than you can!” Kayna taunted.
Arien sighed. “Well, it’s a shame they won’t get to try. Look ahead; we’re there.”

Sure enough, Arien’s offand quip was lent validity as the branches began to clear, putting an end to any further snowball making. As they cleared, the city of Ranelin slowly came into view. Spread out as it was a the foot of the high hill(Kayna refused to call it a mountain) they were just cresting, ir was an unnaturally breathtaking sight. The day had dawned with the promise of being a bright and sparklingly clear winter day, but the early morning sun was only just now able to dispel the twin shadows of the night’s lingering remnants and that of the surrounding hills. The intense colors of the sunrise this morning, still lingering in the air, turned the newfallen coat of snow into a wide field of a surprising shade of red and a multitude of purples and blues, an effect that added a slight touch of the ominous to Kayna. Kayna shrugged to herself, musing that it was a good thing she wasn’t prone to reading too much into omens. The city below had yet to fully awaken, consequently there lingered still a silence and stillness so profound, so deep, that even Arien hesitated to break it. Kayna yawned, reminded by the sleepy city and almost reverent air that it had been a very early morning, but she too was reluctant to break the almost reverent air of early morning peace. After an eternity, or perhaps only mere moments, Arien’s reluctant voice broke the spell. “I hate to do this, guys, but we’d better get moving…” As his voice trailed off, the sound of bells began to echo faintly up to the three on the hill. Arien cursed. “That gives all of a quarter-hour to reach the Church before Service! Move!” Arien and Mara both started, and immediately began down the hill at a near-breakneck pace; Kayna, however, lingered a moment longer, reluctant to let the scene go. Pulling her cloak about her, she sighed and fell in behind the other two.

A quarter hour was only just enough time to reach the Church and ensure that Mara’s white mare, Arien’s peppy Bay and Kayna’s sleek sorrel were properly seen to in the stables and join the crowd filing through the rows of wooden seats. Kayna had barely gotten herself seated properly when the soft, reverent music that had been playing in the background came suddenly to an unholy screech and stopped. The huge, gold-gilt double-doors at the back of the Church were flung open, impacting the walls with a resounding boom. The new Priest, accompanied by a sudden chill gust of wind and a small tribe of candle-bearing children stormed into the room. Kayna’d already judged by the size of the crowd that the Priest was popular; now she new why. Kayna was not impressed; she thought to herself that the dramatic entry just made the Priest appear rather egotistical. Mara leaned across and informed Kayna, in a whisper, that the new Priest’s name was Clairon, though without having previously attended, Kayna didn’t know how Mara could have found out. Not too many people from Valla Mountain attended church proceedings in the city. Their own church did just fine, and their Priest liked to keep it that way.

Some of Kayna’s skepticism must have conveyed itself, because Mara continued that she shouldn’t worry, because this new Priest couldn’t be any worse than the old one, from what she knew. Before Kayna could ask how she knew, the priest began, his voice carrying easily through the chapel. Kayna looked out the windows, wanting to tune him out. She figured that Mara was right so far at least; the old Priest had been a lot worse than merely egotistical. She couldn’t figure out why Clairon hadn’t just-well, conscripted-the former Guardians, or sent someone else. It was odd-Priests didn’t just disappear every day. Just then, a snippet of the Priest’s last statement snagged Kayna’s attention. …”Undo all the wrongs incurred upon the good people of this district, but I pledge that change will begin with me,” he was intoning. “Many have suffered at the false Church’s hands, but I am here to end the tyranny, a member of the rightful institution.”

Kayna snorted. Very clever of him, distancing himself from the old Priest. “I am authorized to do anything within the Church’s divine power to right the wrongs that have been done,” he continued, then paused as if expecting applause. When he was met with only skepticism, he seemed taken aback, but bravely continued. “To prove I mean what I say, taxes are to be halved from this point on, and I shall personally be reviewing the cases of all Church-held prisoners.” Kayna nearly fell off the bench, then realized she didn’t believe him, and yet-her father? Released? This whole nightmare could be over, that easily? It was too good to be true! She shook herself, taking herself and her emotions in hand. She’d believe it when she saw her father walk through the door alive and a free man, not before. She paid attention the remainder of the sermon, though he went back to the normal program of sins and forgiveness, and it didn’t mean any more now than it had before her father was arrested. She was silent the ride back to the village, too, and for once Mara and Arien seemed to catch her mood-or at least respect it.

Kayna went on with her daily routine, blessedly free from the Guardians at least. As the months dragged on with no word, she managed to forget about the Priest and his promises-at least until she came home to find a message from the Church on her door. Hands shaking, she pulled it off and read it, crumpled it up and threw it on the ground, slamming the door on the way in. When Arien came by later that afternoon, he saw the paper crumpled there, picked it up, read it and went to go get Mara. No doubt Kayna would deny it, but she needed them both right then. Howevermuch she tried to pretend that she didn’t need anyone, they were all she had right now. He figured everyone needed someone to look after them. He knew his guess had been right when they walked in, and Kayna didn’t even move-just sat there, staring at the wall, as if she’d been sitting there for hours. Likely, she had been. Gently, he handed her the paper, watched as her eyes focused on him, and then Mara, and change from disappointment to anger. “The fucking church is fucking pleased to tell you that Sheanas Firthen’s sentence for the charge of failure to pay taxes has been reduced from life to five years in prison? That’s the best they can fucking do?! He didn’t owe anything!” There was nothing any of them could say except let her go on, so they just listened while she hurled every invective at the church she could think of. When her anger had at last been vented somewhat, before she could slide back into disappointment, he spoke. “There’s something else you should know, too.”

Mara nodded. “That’s right. Someone matching my brother’s description has been seen ‘round here, and the City, recently. “ The puzzle had the desired effect-she went from angry and disappointed to puzzled. “What? That doesn’t make any sense; why would he be here? And if he was here, why would he be seen? He’s never seen unless he wants to be!” Kayna strode across the room to the chair by the fireplace, and collapsed into it. Arien braced himself-if he knew Kayna this wasn’t going to be pretty. Sure enough, Kayna’s tone turned acidic. “What brings him here? Don’t we have enough trouble on our hands, between the new Priest and my father, without him bringing more? I suppose he’ll absolutely just have to come by for a visit, too!”
Mara bristled at her tone. “Kayna! That’s uncalled for! He’s helped you out more than once!”
Arien winced. That surely wasn’t going to help matters.
Kayna went from acidic to furious. “I don’t need his help! I don’t need any of it; when will you figure out that I am just fine by myself!”
Arien cut in before it could get any worse. “Kayna, you know you’d be dead or in jail if he hadn’t. Want help or not, Kayna, you need it, so here we are helping you out again, want it or not! You’re not the only one who has had their life turned upside down; this involves all of us, like it or not, so deal with it!” Arien was starting to lose his temper with her inconsiderate and ungrateful attitude, too. He admired her strength, but she was carrying it too far.
Kayna turned away. “You certainly don’t have to, you can leave any time.” Her voice made snow seem warm.
“Kayna, we’re all involved in this now. In fact, it never affected just you, so quit making solving the problem with you hard on the rest of us.”
She turned back to him, anger flashing in her eyes. “Now that was unfair!”
He met her eyes levelly. “So is the way you’ve been behaving.”
She continued to glare angrily at him for a moment, then the challenge in her eyes vanished and the heat in them slowly dissipated. He almost hated to see that…

Kayna said not one word, only looked away, but with her that gesture said it all.
Sensing the mood, Mara spoke up. “I have to admit, my brother is a bit of a ghost. When he is seen, it usually does bode ill.”
Gratefully, Kayna asked, “So what would be enough to bring him here, now?”
Arien grinned, thankful the mood was lighter now. “That’s easy-rumors! The question is what rumors?”
“By my way of thinking, we need more to go on than rum-“
A knock on the door interrupted whatever Kayna was going to say. Kayna glanced at Arien, who stood and went for the door without any more prompting, than that, but before he could reach it, someone slipped inside. Hooded and cloaked, there was no identifying the figure, but only one person would be here, now. Sure enough, before the figure could even push his hood back, Mara jumped up and wrapped the figure in a warm hug, which was returned.
“Well, hello, Rieth-nice timing. We were just talking about you.” Kayna grinned. Despite her earlier words, she really did like him.
Rieth pushed back his hood, and smoothed his dark brown hair down. “Yeah, I know,” he replied simply, taking a seat by the fireplace.
“You were careless, bro-we’ve been hearing rumors,” Mara informed him.
Rieth looked puzzled. “No, I wasn’t.”
“What?” Kayna asked, mirroring the puzzlement everyone in the room felt. “Oh—so you mean you were deliberately being seen? Why?”
“Why do you think?” was Rieth’s only response.
“You wanted us to know?” Mara suggested.
“Maybe. Perhaps I wanted someone else to know, to draw them out,” he replied smoothly.
This statement only earned him a firm smack on the shoulder from Mara. “Out with it, Bro-what brings you here?”

Kayna shivered suddenly. Rieth caught it, and looked towards the fire. In an instant, it was leaping and roaring. “Someone put some more wood on that.” With the fire thus fortified, it grew quite warm in short order in the cabin. For a few more moments, no one spoke. Mara, looking at Rieth accusingly, finally said, “Brother dear, you really shouldn’t do that.”
Rieth just shrugged. “You could do that, if you wanted to. Both of you could. Not you, though, Arien.”
“Fine. Quit dodging the question, Rieth,” Kayna knew she was beginning to look peevish, and she didn’t think anyone in the room could blame her. She leaned toward the fire, which turned the garnet highlights in her black hair to ruby.
“More rumors,” Rieth said, finally. “Sis, I think you know which.”
“There are many I’ve heard of, lately. Which would be enough…Oh!” Mara looked startled, and Rieth nodded.

Kayna glanced at Arien, puzzled by this exchange, to find Arien had done the same. The same confusion and frustration she felt was mirrored in his eyes. Rieth had that effect. Kayna closed her eyes and leaned back, sighing. “Care to elaborate, Rieth, Mara?” She was met by silence. “Someone, anyone-going once, going twice?”
Finally Rieth spoke. “Uh, yeah, ok. See, I’ve been tracking something.”
Kayna nodded. “That is your job.”
Arien leaned forward. “And whatever it is, you’ve tracked it here, to state the obvious.”
“Um-maybe.” Rieth looked vaguely uncomfortable. “I don’t know for certain yet.”
Mara sighed. “Rieth, shut up. Let me do this, ok?” At his nod, she continued, “See, the thing is, he’s been following something for quite some time now. And yes, it may have come this way; may even be here.”

Arien rubbed his head as if it hurt. “ I think I’ve missed something here.”
Kayna shook her head. “No, you haven’t-you can’t miss what hasn’t been said. For starters, he hasn’t said what “it” is, exactly. That might help clear things up.”
Rieth shook his head. “I can’t really tell you what it is.”
Kayna looked distinctly annoyed, and Arien couldn’t blame her. “So what, you’ve been chasing nothing?” Her tone confirmed her annoyance.
Rieth spared her a glance that said clearly that if she was smart enough to figure it out she wouldn’t be annoyed. Mara answered for him. “Kayna, suffice it to say it takes over people and there’s really no evidence of it otherwise. People just-disappear-or act oddly, that kind of thing. “
“So yes, chasing just about nothing anyway, Kayna. Except rumors, that is.” He paused, gathering his thoughts. “ You just have to know this thing to know what to look for.” Before either Kayna or Arien could react, Rieth looked each of them in the eyes, by turn. “I’m going to teach you both to know it.”
Stunned silence filled the room.
© Copyright 2009 WinterFall (winterfall2881 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1538887-Blood-Dawn-Part-2