*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1550351-A-Storm--WIPnew-and-revised
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Fantasy · #1550351
A mysterious storm changes their lives forever.
As my sister and I jogged through the park across from our house, our breath is able to be seen as a white puff of smoke. The sun had not yet started to come up and there is a glistening coat of frost that made everything shimmer like diamonds on the crisp October morning. Our feet clapping on the ground broke through the deep silence as we approached the very brightly lit entrance of the park.

We stopped for a few moments to catch our breath as we both walked up the long stretch of driveway. We were both moving quite quickly, for our bodies were starting to feel the iced filled morning air. In the distance we saw our house; it was dark, with only the dim porch light shining.

Shaking in the cold I reached in my pocket for the key to get in. The door knob felt like I was holding a frozen snowball. Just as I opened the door a rush of warm heat pushed at our faces forcing us both to back away quickly and attempt to enter again. It didn’t take long for our bodies to warm up with that kind of heat. We went upstairs to shower.

As I stepped out of the shower, and entered my bedroom it was already daylight and the sun was trying to peak out of the yellow tinted clouds that filled the sky. Stepping out on the porch I knew by the feel of the air that this was as warm as it was going to get today.

I closed the door behind me as I entered back into my room. I grabbed my books for my class at college. I left my room and headed downstairs. The aroma of fresh baked corn bread, eggs and bacon filled around me as I stepped down off the last step into the main hallway. My stomach was rumbling and I couldn’t get my feet to move fast enough to the kitchen to see whose cooking I would indulge in. I turned to my left and headed to the back of the house towards the kitchen. I followed the heavy aroma of food, I entered. I saw a tall slim, long brown haired girl standing at the stove. Nesa (It is pronounced Neesa) turned with a smile,

"I knew this would get you in. Here, I made one for you too."

"Cool, thanks Nesa." My voice filled with enthusiasm.

"Did you see the weather forecast?"“My attention was fixed on scrapping a mark off the wall, "No."

"Miguel! Sit down before it gets cold." (She gave me a playful shove.)

Sighing with frustration that she always needs to tell and very seldom will she ask, I sat down and started eating. I picked up a piece of bacon and shoved it in my mouth allowing the juicy flavored gravy to trickle down my throat. It’s perfect to my taste. I continuing on into the rest of the meal, I turned to the TV and swallowing quickly I asked.

"So…, what’s up with the weather? I was out on the porch upstairs and it looks like it is going to stay cold."

I continued to eat as I watched the advertisements pass the time away and the news breaks in. Then I saw what Nesa wanted me to see. An emergency alert of a snow storm that would last the entire week!

Oh! That Nesa! It's just a storm! It's not som...,"Nesa nudges me with her elbow causing me to look at her.

Shut up and just listen, will ya! You’re missing the most important parts." She shouted as she pointed to the screen.

I turned back to the TV. Although I really didn't think it was such a big deal. We had many storms before and usually the weather men give it exactly the way it happens. I really didn't think there was much to worry about. On the other hand, Nesa, she worries about everything.

I listened on intensely as they announced it would be hitting us by noon time today. A mile long list came up on the screen of all closings; next to each one was the time of closing. They named 3 other cities that were going to be hit at the same time.

”Nesa, Wow! This storm sounds bigger than the one we had eight years ago. We don't usually get these kinds of storms till December.” Trying to clear my head from its stunned feeling that came over me rather quickly, I stood up and went to the window. “That explains the yellow tinted clouds in the sky. Hmmm! The clouds are gone and the sky is blue with no clouds at all. I wonder how cold it is out there.”

I walked over to pick my plate up., Grandma comes into the kitchen. She sits down at the breakfast counter.

“Good Morning, Grandma.” Nesa says with a smile. “”I’ll get you some coffee and breakfast. What would you like?”

”Good Morning! So are both of you still helping me at my class room this afternoon?”

“We would love to but the schools and everything is closing early because there is a bad storm hitting us by noon today!” My mind being more puzzled than shocked by the appearance of the sky. Something is definitely wrong Grandma, There’s not a cloud in the sky. The thermometer is reading 75 degrees.

Nesa comes over to the table a places a cup of coffee down in front of grandma, she looks at her with the same puzzled face that I had. “Look! The sun is even shining! I don’t understand it!”She stops short in her words and asks again “So… What did you want to eat?”

Grandma seemed to be in great thought but still managed to answer me. If you don’t mind, a cream cheese bagel would be just fine. Thank you sweetie! She turned towards the window; she looked in thought, then she looked at me smiling and said, “Are you sure that they were meaning for our town? Maybe you heard them wrong.”

“Ah, Grandma!” Nesa interrupted, pausing with hesitation before continuing, “It wasn’t misheard. They said it was for Cottekill and three other cities surrounding us; Slinkyville, honibeez, and Hagerty were the ones. I’m serious; I heard it first and got Miguel to take a look.”

Eagerly I intruded their conversation “Sh-h-h-h! Here it is again, listen.” and all of us sat in silence as the emergency alert came on again.

Grandma sat in silence, her face was full of confusion as she turned her head and looked out the window. “Ah! This is very weird but maybe this is the calm before the storm. We had best make a stop at the store for supplies that we need. “She gets up and starts looking in the cabinets.

Pleased with myself, I announced; “I have a list started already, Grandma, Just tell me and I’ll write it down. “

It didn’t take long and the list was made. Nesa finished cleaning the kitchen and we all step outside to take a look at the sky.

          “Whoa! This is hot!” I said, wiping my face with my hand to collect the sweat that had started dripping off my face immediately. Something is definitely not right, see Grandma? My eyes no sooner took hold of her thin body and she toppled over almost hitting the ground as Nesa and I grabbed hold of her. She didn’t answer to us. She was passed out from the heat. I hoped it was the heat. As I lifted her limp body into my arms and carried her quickly to the door. Nesa ran and open it, tears filled Nesa’s eyes, as she followed her brother into the living room.

“What happened to her, Miguel?” She sniffled as more tears just rolled down her face.

I was stunned and was breathing heavy. “I don’t know sis I think it was how hot it was out there, but I honestly don’t know. I’m scared sis.”

“Here, I got the cool compress from the freezer. I will see if we have smelling salt. I will get the others up and call her doctor.” Nesa said snapping back from her panic and leaving for the bathroom.

Not even five minutes went by and Nesa was back with the smelling salt and everyone else followed behind her. Grandma had already come out of it and was sitting up slightly on the couch. Grandma, are you all right? Nesa asked as she sighed with relief. “I called your doctor and he is on his way.”

“Yes dear! I am ok! I don’t know what happened. It was hot and I looked up at the sky. I went to look back down and I felt woozy and dizzy. The next thing I know I am on the couch with a cool compress on my head.” She lays her head back against the couch, sighs, “We really need to start preparing for the storm even if it doesn’t look like we will have one or not. It’s better to be ready.”

The doorbell rings and my Aunt Serenna runs to it. “I got it, it’s the doctor!” as she wipes away her tears of concern with her Mom. Hi, Dr. Mosh, she is in the living room.

The doctor didn’t stay long, it was just like I expected. She passed out from the heat. He did however want her to relax and rest for a bit more. He gave her something that would make her rest only for maybe an hour or two, and as he left he instructed us to turn the heat off and turn the ceiling fan on to circulate the air in the room.

This has not yet been finished. The ending is yet to come. Sorry! Work in progress!

Thank You!







© Copyright 2009 Brenda L. Long (dizzywizzyme at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1550351-A-Storm--WIPnew-and-revised