*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1614069-Footsteps
Rated: E · Short Story · Horror/Scary · #1614069
For the 200 words nightmare contest.
I felt like I was being watched the minute I left the bar.

I dismissed it as the Halloween atmosphere and started walking, taking my favourite shortcut through the woods.

It was dead silent; aside from my impossibly loud footsteps. The wind stirred, chilling me to the bone. I stopped to tighten my jacket and heard the footstep behind me.

I spun to find no one there. I started walking and listened carefully. There was another set of footsteps behind me, almost perfectly in sync with mine. Almost.

I shook my head. I was being silly.

But I could not help hearing the footsteps again. They seemed louder. Closer. I found my breathing had become short.

The footstep became faster, almost running.

I ran.

Useless. No matter how fast, they were gaining on me.

I risked a glance back. There was nothing there. But the footsteps were almost behind me.

I threw my coat at the nothing behind me and kept running. They stopped.

I didn’t dare pause until I was home. I opened the door to find a dark figure in my house, holding my coat.

Red eyes accompanied an evil grin. “You left your address in your coat.”



Word count - exactly 200.
© Copyright 2009 Nathan Darkense (cxiii at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1614069-Footsteps