*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1615143-Harriet-and-The-monsters
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #1615143
A little girl discovers that monsters live in her house with her
"Goodnight Harriet". Harriet's mummy kissed her goodnight and turned off the bedside lamp. Harriet was so tired she fell asleep almost immediately. Whilst in the middle of a dream, Harriet began to feel something kicking her bed from underneath. It woke her up. The room was dark.

"Grrrrrrr." was the sound she heard from underneath the bed. She pulled the blankets up to her chin. Then she felt more kicking. Then something tugged at her hair. Harriet lifted the blankets over her head and she began to tremble. Then she felt something moving under her bed. It was making growling noises.

Then all of a sudden the growling stopped, and so did the kicking and the moving. Bravely, Harriet lifted her head out from underneath the blankets. She could see two beady yellow eyes in the darkness. She screamed and swung her arms toward them.
"Owwww!" came a shout. Then something hit the floor with a thud. Harriet quickly switched the bedside lamp on to see what had happened. On the floor, rubbing it’s nose was a monster.
"Who are you?" asked Harriet.
"Ouch, that hurt!" said the monster.
"Well?" Harriet was a little annoyed now.
"I'm the monster who lives under your bed." said the monster.
"Why do you live under my bed? It's all dusty and fluffy under there."
"I live there to frighten you at night." replied the monster.
"Well, you don't frighten me." said Harriet.
"Why did you hit me?" asked the monster.
"Because you frightened me!"
"Aha, so I do frighten you."
"Well, a little I suppose. But you don't frighten me as much as the big monster who comes into my room every morning to wake me up. That monster is horrible."
"Really? What does it look like?" asked the monster.
"Well, it has straggly hair and little beady red eyes."
"That doesn't sound very scary to me, and certainly not as scary as my friend, the Monster in the Wardrobe." Said the monster.

Suddenly a creepy laughing noise came from Harriet's wardrobe. The door began to rattle.
"Go on. Open the door. I dare you." said the monster.
"Erm. No thank you." said Harriet nervously.
"Told you. You're too scared."
"No I'm not!"
"Oh yes you are."
"Right! I will open it."
Harriet went to the wardrobe and flung open the door. Out jumped the Monster in the Wardrobe. He smelled very musty indeed.
"Aaargh," the monster cried as he jumped out. He was waving his arms wildly trying his best to scare Harriet. Harriet just giggled.
"You're not scary." she said.
"Yes I am!" said the Monster in the Wardrobe.
"Not as scary as the monster that wakes me up every morning. That monster is horrible. It has white froth coming out of it’s mouth and it has a stripy body." Harriet said.
"Well it doesn't sound that scary. Our friend the Monster in the Attic is scarier.
"Hmmmm. We'll see." said Harriet.
All three headed onto the landing underneath the loft hatch.

They could hear growling and thumping and shouting and coughing all coming from above their heads. The two monsters smiled. They were sure that this monster would frighten Harriet. Suddenly the loft hatch was lifted open. It was pitch black in the attic. Then, in a flash, a skinny pale monster jumped down and did a silly dance around Harriet whilst pulling even sillier faces. Harriet just laughed.
"Hmmm." said the Monster in the Attic. He was very disappointed.
"You aren't scary either." said Harriet.
"But I'm the scariest of all of us." said the Monster in the Attic.
"Not as scary as the monster who comes into my room each morning and wakes me up. It has big hairy feet and toes and horrid gnarly claws at the end of them."
"He doesn't sound that scary." said the monster.
"Well, lets see shall we." said Harriet.
All four went back to Harriet's bedroom and all of them settled down to sleep.

The sun began to rise and the birds began to sing outside the bedroom window. There was a shuffling on the landing and the sound of doors opening and closing. The monsters woke up. They looked very nervous. Then, all of a sudden, Harriet's bedroom door began to slowly open. In came the Monster who woke Harriet up every morning. The other monsters screamed and quickly hid under the blankets trembling in fear.
"Good morning Daddy." said Harriet, and she giggled to herself.
"I told you it was scary didn't I."
© Copyright 2009 bickerstaffe (bickerstaffe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1615143-Harriet-and-The-monsters