*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1619497-Grimms-song
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Death · #1619497
I base a few of my writing's off music, and well this is one of them. "Tool - Lateralus"
I remember the first time my eyes had come to rest upon him. The man who would change all of our lives, weather it was good or bad was still to be determined. He would become a leader, he would show all of us the way. The first time I seen him he had slipped into café Rajj’e silently. I was having a expresso with a few friends from college. We had been talking about our latest classes. It was our first year at college and we had been swamped with classes. Today marked the end of our first day of exams, and we had all survived in one piece.
         The way Café Rajje was setup gave it a cool, comforting feel. Their was more couch’s than chairs, the walls were lined with various “new age” art and at one end was a small stage, next to it was a  black piano. How I would come to love the sound of that piano in the weeks to come.
         I forget what we had been talking about, and for some odd reason I had all but forgotten the faces of the ones I had once called friends. All I remember was that first piercing note that had silenced the room. Turning the head of every patron of the café. That long echoing note that had sent chills down my spine. The empty hollowness of what sounded like a thousand sorrows.
         After what felt like forever, another not followed, and another, until they began to form a song. At the time I couldn’t have told you what it was. Now, I could never forget that song. The bitter song that stole your breathe away, that song that could make you cry, that made you feel exactly what he wanted you to feel.
         I would come to know it as Tool’s Lateralus. Though I had heard the cd recording a thousand times, it never scratched as deep as this piano cover did. That man, his features blanketed in curly black hair. The sleek black clothes he wore, the way he moved with such a fluid grace, it beckoned me. It beckoned the crowd, all became loss in that sound.
         My soul screamed as his voice rang out. That voice, velvet, lucid, tangible. I could feel it in my heart, in my head and in my soul. That voice would haunt my dreams. I would come to worship that voice, do as it asked, joyful when it praised me, God that voice. Though I had lost everything, I would never loose that voice.
         He seemed to play what felt like hours, his magic, his power, and his music captivating the crowd. Only in the final rumble of notes as it ended and silence filled the air that I realized I had been holding my breathe. When he finished he would stand and turn towards the crowd, brushing his hair from his face. His deep brown, almost orange eyes would lock onto mine. I gasped as my breathe caught in my chest.
         It seemed like forever as we stared at each other. Only as my friend shook me, “Hello! Katie, earth to Katie!” I broke contact and looked towards….For the life of me I can’t remember her name, nor could I remember her face. When I looked back he was gone.
         “Who was that guy?” She asked. I only shook my head. I could still see his haunting face, feel his eyes upon me
         I blinked, and looked to my friends. Their faces had become black shadows, masked from my memory. My voice caught in my throat as I tried to scream. A piercing pain in my neck before…..Before everything went black. That song, it was all I could hear in the darkness, that song. I knew it would drive me mad. I screamed but their was no sound, only that damn song. Everything started slipping away. The last thing I remember was that song.
© Copyright 2009 Kurt Killjoy (azzalo at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1619497-Grimms-song