*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1622311-Screams-of-the-Mad-mark-II
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Horror/Scary · #1622311
The screams of the mad echo down the hall.
Screams of the Mad


The screams of the mad echoed down the hall. I listened curiously, someone must be having a nightmare. I share a room in the mental ward with three others.

One shouted all the time, one never spoke, the last just smiled a lot, a smile that said he knew what was here in this world and didn’t mind. I took the knife to the smiling one first. All three were in bed, asleep, it was two o’clock and that meant nap time in the mad house.

His eyes were closed. The ghost of his smile still on his sleeping lips. My hand went over his smile. His eyes opened as I drove the knife into his neck. I pushed his lips back into their full usual smile when I was done. Next the knife sent the silent one into oblivion, he went silently. Last the shouter and I did nothing to muffle his final shout, it was his usual and no-one would know it was his last.

I picked up my bag and went out into the hall, closing the door after me. I looked back in through the small window in the door, the sheets were pulled up just over their necks, they slept so peacefully.

My nurse Dave was at the door, his usual black coffee in one hand, he smiled as I approached.

“I’m proud of you, you’ve come along way.” I shook his hand, smiling back. He swiped his pass and the door unlocked. I went out into the sunshine.

Once outside I saw her, running past her mother, screaming “daddy!” with glee. I bent to one knee so she could run into my arms.

“Daddy’s coming home baby girl.” I whispered in her ear. We were all going home. The knife would get them there.

WC 300
© Copyright 2009 Manixander (manixander at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1622311-Screams-of-the-Mad-mark-II