*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1638067-Forgotten
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1638067
A letter is unknowingly lost and forgotten.
Writers’ Cramp Prompt 1/20-21/10 - A letter reaches its destination twenty years too late.
Winner *Smile*

“Hey, Dad. What’s this stuck down here in the seat?” Jared held up an envelope to show his Dad.

“Let me see.” Taking the letter from his son, Joe smoothed out the wrinkles and tried to wipe off some of the dirt.

“It looks like a letter somebody forgot to mail, and, by the amount of the stamp, I’d say it's pretty old. It’s addressed to somebody over in Clinton. I’ll put it in another envelope and send it on.”

Joe had bought the old Chevy Luv pickup for Jared for his sixteenth birthday. It was older than Jared, but when Joe saw it, he knew it was exactly what Jared would want, and he was right. Jared’s face lit up like a Christmas tree when Joe pulled in the driveway in it and blew the horn. Joe hadn’t seen a convertible pickup since the 80’s, Ragtime it was called.

*****


“Dad, there’s a letter here for you. I’m going back to work. See you tonight.” Eileen left the letter on the kitchen table.

Jim made his way down the narrow hall with his walker, his slippers making scuffling noises with each step. In the soundless family room, he picked up the remote and turned on the TV for company. He started toward his easy chair, and then remembered Eileen saying something about a letter. Scuffling on to the kitchen, Jim saw the letter lying on the table. Squinting to see the handwriting on the envelope, lines formed between his eyebrows as a look of puzzlement crossed his face.

“I wonder who this is from. The writing doesn’t look familiar.” Jim spoke to himself.

Tearing open the envelope, he removed the smaller, wrinkled and dirty letter. His face drained of all color as he dropped onto the kitchen chair off legs that had lost all their strength.

“It can’t be. My boy died in the Gulf War. I’ve got the telegram and the flag and the medals. We had a memorial service.” Jim spoke in raspy breaths, not believing what he was seeing. Slowly he opened the envelope and pulled out the letter. Then he saw the date, July 29, 1990.

“Dear Dad,

I’m writing to tell you how sorry I am for the things I said when I left. I didn’t mean any of them. You’ve been a good father, and I respect how you feel. I just don’t agree with you. I’m old enough to make my own decisions, and I’ve decided to join the Air Force.

There’s nothing in Clinton for me. Annie is marrying someone else, and I don’t want to be around to witness her future without me. Please respect my decision and don’t be mad.

I’ll leave the truck at the recruiting office in Dansville with the keys under the seat. You can pick it up when you get a chance.

Tell Sis I love her. I’ll try to write again as soon as I can.

Your loving son,
Jimmy”

Jim sat staring at the letter. Tears rolled down his weathered cheeks.

*****


“Dad, I’m home.” Eileen let the storm door slam and pushed the front door closed as she hung her coat in the hall closet. “Dad, where are you?”

Walking out into the kitchen, she saw her dad resting his head on the kitchen table. An open letter lay beside his arm. Seeing the writing, Eileen gasped. Then she noticed how still her father was.


587 words
© Copyright 2010 Happy 2024! (biddle.connie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1638067-Forgotten