*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1639433-Shadows-and-Saints
Rated: E · Sample · Teen · #1639433
Shadow and Saint are best friends but a twist of fate may just chnage that forever.
1

    SAINT LOOKED UP and grinned, his grey-blue eyes shinning with a mischievous glint. Shadow sighed and flipped her dark hair away from her face to reveal a slight scowl. The younger boy did not notice as he turned his attention back to the camp. Shadow quickly scampered over the remaining rocks to land silently beside Saint, who turned to look at her and whispered, “Told you they was here.”
    Shadow looked away with a slight shrug. Realising that the apology he wanted was not forthcoming Saint returned to observing the camp. Their task was to watch and learn and memorise and that was exactly what he planned to do.
    An hour later found the two youths crawling away from the encampment in the valley and onto higher ground where there was no chance of them being seen. They sat side by side for a while, again watching the now ant-like men complete their tasks. Shadow grew bored and studied Saint instead. A small smile played on her lips as she regarded his unwashed blonde hair and dirty face. The curly mass flopped into his eyes and nearly reached his shoulders. His big hands regularly reached up and brushed his hair away, giving him a constant wind-swept look.
    “We should go back now.” His gaze fell on Shadow and she nodded in agreement. He quickly stood up and offered her his hand but she rejected it and gracefully jumped up, walking away without a backward glance. Saint shook his head and followed her rapidly retreating back. It did not take long before they were once again side-by-side. They walked in silence, watchful eyes on constant alert.
    “Did you hear that?” Shadow whispered so quietly Saint thought he had almost imagined it. Her hand had immediately shot to the dagger tucked safely into her boot and now she stood poised for a fight. Saint quickly followed suit however his only weapons were his tightly curled fists. A faint scuffle echoed behind them. They turned as one to see a pair of manic red eyes stare at them malevolently. Their owner stepped forward casually, his eyes never leaving Saint’s who had positioned himself in front of Shadow. She rolled her eyes briefly and was about to step round him when a noise caused her to turn.
    A woman crouched cat-like behind her, her eyes seeming to glow in the moonlight as she hissed unintelligibly to her partner. Shadow leaned forward into a similar position before the female, raising her dagger threateningly. Humour replaced the hungry look in her more burgundy coloured eyes. It was lost in an instant. She snarled and lunged at Shadow who barely managed to roll out of the way.
    She was vaguely aware of grunts behind her as Saint fought with20the male but her attention was fully focused on her own opponent. Without hesitation, she threw her dagger. The woman only brushed it aside with an evil laugh, crossing the distance between them in two impossibly quick strides. Shadow waited for her moment. The female bared her teeth, unable to comprehend the confidence in her prey when she was so used to terror. She hesitated. That was all Shadow needed. She leapt forward and grabbed the woman around the throat using all her force to yank her neck the wrong way. Claws raked at her arms as the woman struggled to break free but to no avail. Shadow had faced these creatures before and knew that this was the only way she stood a chance of surviving, so the pain coursing through her arms was easily blocked out. The woman began to register the smell of blood and became even more frantic. A fist punched her squarely in the face but her grip did not loosen. If she did, she knew it would cost her life. A stinging sensation coursed through her hand and up her arm but she barley registered it.
    Shadow forced herself to stand, dragging the desperately struggling woman with her. She deftly placed one boot on the female’s back and pushed while keeping a firm grip on her neck. There was an audible snapping sound and she fell limp in Shadow’s bleeding arms. Shadow knew better then to let go. She searched wildly for her dagger, trying to ignore Saint’s small cries of pain. Something glittered near a tree. She pulled the body with her to retrieve it then quickly ducked to pick it up. She felt the body twitch slightly. In one swift movement, her left hand sliced across the woman’s throat. She repeated the action twice more before the head finally separated from the body. Next, she hacked at the arms and legs until they too were separated. She piled the body parts at the base of a tree and looked around. There was no sign of Saint or his attacker. There was no time to look for them so she set about making a fire. Once she had a small fire burning she cut the heart of out the chest and watched it burn. An acrid black smoke swirled around her. That should have been enough to ensure the woman stayed dead but Shadow never took any chances- these were strange and dangerous times. One by one the body parts were laid on the fire until the head was the only part left. She looked at it with disgust. The glazed eyes stared blankly back at her while the mouth curled into a half snarl. She picked it up by its blonde, blood covered hair and tossed it after the over parts.
    Shadow crawled through the smoke until she could smell fresher air. She stood warily listening for sounds of fighting. She could hear nothing. Panic rose inside her as she tore frantically through the woods searching for any sign of Saint.
    “Where are you Saint?” she called softly.
Saint narrowly dodged a punch aimed at his face and swung wildly at his opponent’s stomach area. His hand hit the man’s rock-like chest. He jumped quickly to the side and waited for the next hit. The man almost danced forward, so graceful was his movements and began another sequence of attack. Fists and teeth tried to pound and tear at Saint who blocked as best as he could but he was tiring. He unexpectedly leapt backwards only to run quickly forward to push his shoulder into the man’s stomach. They went down in a tangled heap. He felt a claw slice open his right cheek as he aimed a knee at the male’s groin and quickly changed tactics, instead opting for a head butt. It was like hitting a wall. He saw the man’s eyes flicker with hunger at the sight and smell of his blood. He quickly jumped away rolling onto his feet. Something silver spun towards his head and he smiled in surprise as he expertly caught Shadow’s dagger in his right hand. He only had a moment to take in her bloodied form before he was once again engaged in a battle to the death. He managed to cut a sizeable chunk off the man’s arm, a trickle of blood running down his pale skin. He did not seem to notice.
Then he smelt it. In a blur of movement, he crossed to Shadow and sniffed. Shadow’s blood ran freely down each arm and into her mouth from her broken nose. She was slumped against a tree breathing erratically. The vampire reached out to her, his crimson eyes burning with desire. She tried to take a step back but fell over an exposed root. Saint rushed to help her but the smell of her blood was driving the creature into deeper depths of insanity and wit h one swift movement Saint was knocked to the floor. Shadow was in to much pain to do anything but stare back at her death. The vampire’s claws stretched forward, ready to grab her but faltered. Saint removed the dagger from the man’s back and quicker then Shadow had thought possible severed his head. He began to take apart the body the same way Shadow had previously done. He burned the heart and the head, leaving the rest to rot and turned his attention to Shadow.
    She laid half-conscious in the grass, her breathing uneven; her face was pale and drawn. Saint almost cried when he saw the blood flowing freely done both of her arms as he watched her eyelids flicker and she looked at him smiling slightly, then her dark brown eyes were covered in a white layer of skin as she drifted off into unconsciousness. He hurriedly dressed her wounds with makeshift bandages from his shirt and then carefully picked Shadow up and entwined his arms protectively around her slight frame. With a sinking heart he began the long run home.



2   

    SHADOW AWOKE TO the sound of running water and bird song. Her eyes flickered open to view a sea of green and an eerie green light filtering down through the canopy. The smell of fire reached her senses next and with a roll that hurt more then it should she shifted onto her side to see better. A second later she was laying on her back again, whimpering with the pain coursing down her arms and a dull ache in her nose.
    “Shadow!”
    “Uh-huh, but I wish I wasn’t.” She turned her head towards Saint’s voice and was greeted by his boots.
    “What was that?” Saint knelt down until his blue eyes met her almost black ones.       
    His tender smile seemed almost forced to Shadow but before the thought could fully register, she felt another shooting pain and gasped.
    “Don’t move. You’ve got some pretty bad gashes down both arms and you lost a lotta blood. Old Maple gave you a sleeping drug that shoulda knocked you out for a week but…” he trailed off with a wave of his hand, but Shadow could see the concern in his eyes.
    “How long have I been asleep then?”
    Saint hesitated before answering, “Erm…well three days. Nearly.”
    Shadow bit her lip and stifled the tears that threatened to spill down her cheeks and in a voice that sounded braver then what she felt she replied, “Maple’s draughts are the best. I could’ve only beaten it if…if I was…” She could not continue but looked into Saint’s eyes and saw confirmation of what she had concluded. A rebel tear slid silently into her tangled hair.
    “The bitch,” she muttered as she raised her arms up for closer inspection. The pain was beginning to ease. She could not see anything through the bandages and with a sigh replaced them at her sides.
    “Help me up then. I’m feeling a bit stiff,” she murmured, her eyes fixed to the left of Saint’s face; she was unable to bear looking into his all too knowing eyes. His strong hands griped her underarms and carefully guided Shadow to her feet. She teetered slightly as the world spun in a sudden rush of blood but Saint’s firm grip around her waist kept her on two feet. He helped her towards a log that was used as a bench and was closer to the fire then where she had previously been laid.
    The pain in her arms was barely noticeable now and her head had cleared. She managed a wide smile at Saint, “Thanks.”
    He replied with a lopsided grin, rummaged around the fire area, and found a bowl and spoon. He began to ladle soup into it and handed it to Shadow.
    “You need to eat, I should think.” Shadow’s stomach rumbled an agreement but when she swallowed it she nearly retched as her stomach rejected it.
    “Blergh. What is in that Saint? It’s gross.” She pulled a face and set the bowl on the ground.
    “It’s just vegetable soup. The same as always Shadow.” The hurt he felt at having his food rejected was clearly audible in his voice and Shadow smiled apologetically as      Saint tentatively sipped his own portion and replied, “Tastes fine to me.” He confirmed this by quickly drinking the rest if his portion.
    “Smells gorgeous though.” Shadow lifted her bowl up to her nose and sniffed but quickly jerked it away as she realised it was not the soup that smelled so appetising. Cautiously she stood and walked around the small clearing, sniffing the air and trying to ignore the surprised look on her companion’s face. In gradually smaller circles she reached the log where Saint was perched, his soup completely forgotten. He suppressed d a flinch as Shadow’s nose brushed the top of his head and then down to his neck and shoulder. She was still breathing in his sent when she exclaimed, “Saint! It’s you!” The hunger in her voice was plain to hear, “You smell delicious,” she mumbled into his neck. The feel of her teeth caused him to jump quickly away and to step back into a half crouch; he prepared to fight for his life.
    “Shadow?” He whispered while retreating from the approaching figure.
    “Hmmm…Saint, just a little taste. Please? I won’t hurt you. Promise. Just one little bite and then I’ll leave you alone. I just have to taste your blood. Please!” she whined,         
    “You have no idea how delightful you smell,” She grinned and Saint watched her canines grow into dangerous points. She bared them threateningly without realising it.
    “Just one little bite,” she moaned whether to herself or to Saint he could not tell but he backed further away, determination filling his veins. He was going to leave this clearing alive.
    “Shadow, stop. You don’t want me. Not my blood. It’s disgusting; you know that. Come on, we can get through this. I don’t smell so good. Not really. And I have blood for you. Old Maple’s got it at home. We can do this yeah?” his hand slipped behind his back and gripped the knife handle that was sticking out of this waistband. His breathing became uncontrollably shallow. Shadow smiled greedily, like a child in a sweet shop when she sensed his fear. It was like heroin to an addict. Saint’s blood was a vampire’s heroin. Shadow’s new addiction.
    “Sweetie it won’t hurt that much. Not for you. I promise,” her voice oozed charm and rang in Saint’s head, the soft melodic sound oddly soothing and20reassuring. His fear began to melt away and his grip slackened on the concealed knife.
    “Shadow,” his voice rang firmly around the clearing, “Don’t do this. I’m telling you now Maple’s got all sorts of shit back home. It’ll help. Trust me.” He locked gazes with Shadow and she faltered as the full force of his puppy dog eyes reached her. Saint pouted slightly, “Please Shadow,” he resisted the erge to smile in triumph as he saw Shadow full deeper into his eyes and awareness begin to creep into her mind.
    “Saint?” her resolve seemed to weaken as the seconds slipped by. She fell to her knees, still unable to look anywhere else as she swam in the blue-grey of Saint’s eyes.
    “I smell good huh? Must be that new cologne I brought=2 0last week,” He closed the distance between them in a few long strides and gathered Shadow into his arms. He watched as humanity slowly seeped back into Shadow, each one of her tearless sobs breaking his heart a little more.
    Almost two hours passed before her breathing began to slow and become more regular. She sighed and looked up into Saint’s face, searching for any sign of emotion but what he was feeling was hidden deep inside him, an unreadable mask set into place over his graceful features.
    “Yeah, you smell pretty damn good. I think you should move now. It’s hard to suppress…” she shuddered and in a blur of movement reached the other side of the clearing. Saint blinked and lowered his arms. He did not actually see her move and the confusion on his face made Shadow laugh.
    “Well you seem recovered. Normal.” Saint observed sceptically.
    “Never normal, Saint. Never again normal. But I feel less outa control. More human. I need to go home.” She looked briefly around, “Which way is home exactly?”
    “North, only an hour away, give or take.” Saint nodded in the direction to Shadow’s left. “You leaving now?”
    “Uh-huh. It won’t take me that long, I don’t think. See you there?”
    Saint nodded in reply, “See you there then.”



3   

    SHADOW REACHED HER destination in under thirty minutes. She smiled exuberantly as she slowed from a run, the adrenalin pulsing through her body yet she could not feel her heart pumping after the exercise as she expected it to. A frown marred her otherwise attractive face, her bottom lip caught between her teeth as she contemplated the meaning of what was happening to her; she had ran faster then she had ever been able too, so fast she was barely a blur to the human eye and she wasn’t physically affected by the task that would have normally been beyond her abilities. She was not even out of breath.
    “I swear I saw something behind these trees,” a voice whispered from somewhere in front of her. Without thinking, she hauled herself into the closest tree and peered down through the canopy. She could have sworn her eyesight was improving as well as her physic.
    “I don’t think there’s anything here mate. Musta been an animal or something yeah?” another voice whispered nearby. Her ears must have improved as well, Shadow thought, as it was a while before the speakers became visible to her and even longer before they approached the tree where she was hiding.
    “Hello, boys.” Shadow jumped cat-like from the branch she was perched on and landed lightly on two feet behind their backs. A sword tip swept round to t ouch her throat. Behind it, hostile eyes glared back at her- the fear and surprise almost hidden behind the obstinate look but Shadow could see it clearly there.
    “Who are you?”
    “Well now, that’s a question and a half I have to admit.”
    “Just answer the question.” The sword dropped slightly as fear began to wear away at his resolve. The girl in front of him had wild, tangled raven hair, dirt smudged on her face and clothes, her jeans and jumper pulled in places and holey. She seemed focused and confident yet there was a madness glinting in her almost black eyes that had strange red flecks buried within her irises. She smiled.
    It took all his will power not a take a step back like his companion had done as two pointed fangs flashed menacingly. At least they did to Jeremy and Sam. Shadow had meant to smile in a way that conveyed “I’m unarmed and not dangerous and a friend”.
    “Jem, it’s me. Shadow. Saint is on his way. Put the sword away please before you hurt yourself.”
    “Is it really you, Shadow?” Sam stepped forward cautiously; peering intently at Shadow’s unnaturally still form.
    “Uh-huh. It’s me Sammy. Now, please, I just wanna get home and see everyone else. Can’t have you two hogging my company now can we?” She smiled, careful not to show any teeth. Jeremy sheathed his sword and stepped aside.
    “Come on then, Miss Bossy. I’d recommend a bath as well ‘cause you reek, no offence.”
    “You don’t exactly smell like a basket of roses either in all fairness,” she laughed, jogging Jeremy with an elbow playfully. He grinned back at her, not noticing how silent her footfalls were or how graceful and dance-like her movements had become. Sam stumbled slightly behind them, nervous for no reason he could think of; he just had a bad feeling about Shadow’s return.
    The sound of voices and commerce rang loudly in Shadow’s ears as she eagerly hurried her pace, causing Jeremy and Sam to have to jog to keep up with her. The smell of life and blood was almost unbearable to her sensitive senses but when the squat houses came into view she suppressed the violent erges as pure happiness filled her at the sight. She was home. It had been a long eight months away.
    As the three youths continued their hurried pace through the community people stopped what they were doing to stare at the ragged sight of Shadow, many of whom did not recognise the girl who strode purposely towards the far end of the settlement, where a mud-hut stood on its own. A smell of herbs surrounded it and added to the mystery that was Old Maple’s dwelling. A crowd began to gather around Shadow, Jeremy and Sam, a mixture of hostility, apprehension and curiosity on their watchful faces. Shadow ignored them and marched purposely to the huts door and knocked loudly then strode inside without waiting for an answer. There was a gasp from the gathered onlookers and a few outraged shouts. Old Maple was the most respected person in the community as he was the oldest and wisest among those who lived in the village. Shadow grinned as she closed the rudimentary wooden door and the sounds from outside were suddenly cut off.
    “Who is it that disturbs an old man’s rest?”
    “Shadow, old one. I have…ah…recovered as it were.”
    The hut was gloomy and humid, the little light there was provided by a dying fire in the far corner, the smoke slowly filling the room, unable to escape through the closed window flaps.
    “Ah.” He paused for a moment as the implications occurred to him, “Would you like to sit down?” he waved a hand towards the cushions piled on the floor around a low wooden table with ornately carved legs. Shadow sat dutifully on a large faded red cushion that had threadbare gold tassels adorning the edge. Once sat she fiddled with the tassels unconsciously, looking around the dim hut, surprised that she had little difficulty in seeing small details clearly.
    Maple shuffled around the hut and pulled on a rope that opened a flap above where the fire was situated then he moved towards the window at the back of the hut, opposite Shadow, and untied it. The room soon began to clear and a pleasant breeze twirled around the hut, dancing playfully in cushions tassels and Shadow’s and Maple’s long hair.
    “That’s better, yes?” Maple smiled at the seated figure, all sign of the inner turmoil that raged within him completely hidden behind his friendly façade.
    “Would you like some tea, Shadow?”
    “Erm…I don’t seem to do so well with…er….food and drink at the moment, for obvious reasons.”
    “Yes, yes, of course. How forgetful of me,” Maple murmured. He had not forgotten but had wanted a confirmation of his suspicions and Shadow’s implications.
    “Something else then? I have more, ah, appropriate substances for one such as you,”
    Shadow froze and stared incredulously at the lined face of her host, “Blood?” she whispered, glancing around self-consciously.
    “Animal, of course. I’ve heard it works just as well even if a little unsatisfying.” He turned his back to Shadow and began to poke the fire back into life. He then placed a metal kettle on a bracket suspended above the flames. He turned around slowly to glance at Shadow’s immobile form and sighed. He could not help but think of an earlier time, of another girl:

          SHE SITS SILENT and statue still, the only part of her moving is her white-blonde hair as the wind startles the tresses into swirls around her slim, pale face. Maple looks at her; his expression is one of curiosity not the anger the others have shown at the sight of her.
    “It’s okay,” he tries to reassure her. If she hears she shows no sign of it.
      He is frustrated.
    “I won’t hurt you, Alicia. I promise. There’s no need to be afraid of me.”
    This provokes a reaction within her and she flicks her eyes towards his innocent, tanned face. Maple is disturbed by the humour he can see angrily flashing in her crimson eyes.
    “I’m not afraid of  you,” she sneers. “I’m afraid of what I’m going to do to you.” A low snarl escapes her lips and Maple cannot help but flinch away.
      She laughs.
    “How old are you?” She asks, suddenly.
    “Thirteen.” Maple announces proudly. “How old are you?” he asks warily.
    “Older then you.”
    Maple looks at her confused before he replies incredulously, “You can’t be older then me! At least not by much.”
    There is a moment of silence.
    “I’m thirty-two Maple,” Before he can reply Alicia reaches forward and grabs his shoulders, forcing him to meet her shinning crimson eyes, “I. Am. Thirty-two. It’s why they hate me; it’s why they fear me.” There is no expression in her voice as she says this, for it was simply a statement of fact.
    Maple shakes his head, “No, they hate you because you killed Sarah,” he whispers.
    Alicia’s lips twitch into a ghost of a smile, “I wish it were that simple Maple but it’s not. I don’t- I DON’T WANT TO BE A MONSTER!” She yells, launching to her feet to fast for the human eye to fully comprehend- all Maple sees is a blur of movement.  For the first time he truly fears for his life. He runs for the door but before he can reach it there she is stood, blocking his escape.
    “Run, rabbit run.” Alicia laughs before she leans forward to whisper, “I am a monster but I don’t want to be- I have no choice. Please don’t hate me too much.” Her hand reaches slowly for his face and she strokes his cheek, almost lovingly.
    “Don’t hate me,” she repeats. There is a brief pause before she removes her hand from his face. “Leave me now. Don’t come back in here- you won’t leave alive next time,” she warns, her voice as dead as the expression she wares.
    Silently Maple slides out of her jail, confused and afraid. The words she had whispered followed him out I don’t want to be a monster….don’t hate me… It would be these words that haunted him for many years to come.
    An hour later Maple watches regretfully as Alicia is dragged from her cell. His father has explained to him how this would not have been possible if  it was dark, however for an unfathomable reason vampires have an aversion to sunlight. Maple now understands what that meant. Alicia is writhing in pain, throwing her hands above her in a futile attempt to block its rays. She is lashed to a stake while another is hammered through her chest- where her heart would be if she was still human.
    Alicia screeches. The men that surround her place a burning stick between her bound feet and her body is engulfed  in flame. The smell of her burning flesh is rancid and it burns the inside of Maple’s nose then his mouth and throat. Alicia has not made another sound. Maple watches her body burn as the seconds trickle by, taunting Maple and Alicia both in their slowness.
    Alicia screams once, high pitched and chilling. Maple promises himself that he would help any vampire he could from that point on; an unwilling monster is not a monster at all.
    He does not leave until Alicia’s body has burnt to almost nothing. He says a silent goodbye before packing his few useful belongings and leaving the small town to carve his own destiny in the new world.


    “MAPLE? MAPLE?” SHADOW’S concern cut through his reverie and he snapped back into the present. She was on her feet now, the metal kettle held in her hand. He was not shocked by this for he had seen vampires perform many seemingly miraculous acts and holding onto a boiling hot piece of metal was definitely far down his list of amazing sights.
    “Ah, my tea’s ready then. Good, good.” He murmured, reaching for a mug. “Pour it into to that then.” Shadow did as she was told. “And sit down, Shadow. I’ll get you your drink.” She sat.
    Maple disappeared for exactly one minute thirteen seconds, a fact Shadow knew without even counting. The surety with which she thought this scared her more then she’d care to admit.
    Shadow stared as he poured the contents of a container into a ceramic pot which he then proceeded to place in the fire. Not long after he used a pair of metal rods to remove it and place the pot in front of Shadow. She sniffed it cautiously and hunger filled her. Without thinking she grabbed the pot and gulped down its contents in no more then a few seconds. Maple watched as her eyes turned slightly redder with a sinking heart.
    She turned those eyes onto him and grinned. There was no sign of humanity in that look. “More.” She demanded.
    “Warm or cold? It’ll take me longer to heat it but it will taste bett…”
    “I DON’T CARE JUST GIVE ME MORE!” She screeched, throwing herself across the small table that separated them, her enlarged incisors aimed to kill. Maple reached inside his pocket and thrust an ornate gold ring with a large gem stone set within it.
    Shadow screamed.
    “Shadow stop! Sit back down- I said sit.” He commanded, his voice- sure and firm- twirled around her before gripping her in an unbreakable bond forcing her to return to her former position.
    An uncomfortable silence followed.
    “Maple wh…what was that…that thing?”
    Maple smiled slightly and replied, “I don’t entirely know. A witch I once knew gave it to me, but we parted ways before I had the chance to ask her what enchantment she had done on the ring. All I know is that it allows he to command anyone- or anything- to do as I want.”
    “That’s a great responsibility to have.” Shadow almost whispered, feeling ashamed of her earlier behaviour. 
    “Yes, but very useful. I use it only when I feel  I must.”
    “I’m sorry, Maple. I don’t know what came over me. It was like there was this…thing…a creature inside of me, like I had no control. I mean I could smell your blood, hear it coursing through your veins. So much life, so much fresh blood…” she was muttering by the end of this speech and Maple was sure she was no longer talking to him.
    “Shadow, look at me. This feeling you have is called blood-lust. I wish I could say it gets easier to deal with but to do so would be a lie. You can however learn to control it; stop it from taking over all your thoughts and feelings, from over-riding your better judgement.”
    Shadow nodded slowly, unable to meet Maple’s all-to-knowing eyes.
    “There is a place that you can go to and be with others of your kind. They will help you; I will help you, Shadow. It’s a safe haven for vampires, quite isolated but with your newly developed speed and strength this will not be a problem.”
    “Will I ever see Saint again?” Shadow whispered, her voice cracking in despair. She tore her gaze from her feet to lock eyes with Maple, “I can’t lose him. I just can’t.”
    Maple’s expression softened and he said cautiously, “Once you’ve learnt how to control your instinctual urges then it should be fine for you and him to spend some time together.”
    “I guess that’s all I can hope for- I won’t put Saint in danger.” She said determinately.
          “Good. Right. Well we’ll need to leave just after nightfall if we’re to make it there on time to be able to have a guide. How are you feeling?”
    Shadow laughed humourlessly, “I’ve been better- but I think I’m ok, if you know what I mean; no bloodlust.” She twirled the words around her head wishing the meaning of it was lost to her.
    Maple stood up motioning for Shadow to do the same while saying, “Good, good. Now, the question is whether or not you’ll be able to face other humans without my supervision. You’ll need to pack some clothes and other personal items you may possess. Do you think you can manage?” 
    Shadow gulped and took a deep breath to steady herself, “Yeah, I’m sure I’ll be fine.” She turned to leave but before she stepped outside her head whipped around and she said, “Thank you Maple.”
    Once she had left Maple allowed himself to sag slightly. He had known the mission was to dangerous to send Shadow and Saint but they would not listen to him and now look at what has happened! He had had great plans for Shadow, with her quick mind and pretty face she would have gone far. That path was now forever closed to her. He sighed, looking around his small but cosy hut. He needed to pack a few belongings to for he could not see himself returning for a while yet.



4


    SAINT STARED AT the setting sun. It the most beautiful sunset he had ever seen before; the sky was a canvas of colours: yellow, orange, red, white and various shades of pink and blue. Seeing it made him think of Shadow and how she would have made him sit for a while just so she could marvel at its beauty. He sighed heavily before trudging on.
    The journey home would not take him more then an hour but that had proved to have been plenty of time for him to think and what he was thinking about was mainly Shadow.
    Shadow and Saint had both been orphans and so had been largely put together when they were infants which had suited them both just fine.
© Copyright 2010 Pebbles Langley (sweecakes at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1639433-Shadows-and-Saints