*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1640014-A-Gift-of-Freedom
Rated: E · Short Story · Supernatural · #1640014
Bob had been crippled - would he ever be free again? A Daily Flash Fiction Winner
A Gift of Freedom

Robert Wright, M.D. Mostly Disabled, he thought.

Bob didn't remember the explosion that had left him a quadriplegic. He'd been with Doctors Without Borders in Afghanistan one moment and a helpless cripple in a German hospital the next.

A large, dour-looking nurse entered the room. "Und how are ve today, Herr Doctor?"

"I think you're safe, Anna. I'm not up to chasing you around the bed just yet."

Anna chuckled. "You haf eine visitor," she said disapprovingly.

"No ..." Bob started but was cut off when the door opened and an old woman pushed into the room.

She looked vaguely familiar. "Excuse me," he began ... then it came to him. She was the leader of a group of Romany itinerants - Gypsies - which he had helped before his last assignment.

"Oh," he said. "Your granddaughter?"

"She's well. We're in your debt and we always pay our debts. Can we be alone for a moment?" she replied in a soft but commanding voice.
Surprisingly, Anna left without a word.

"How did you know I was here?"

"We are in your debt," she repeated.

She reached into her shawl and produced two crystal figurines – one of a polar bear, the other a penguin. "Transporters," she said cryptically.

Sparkling in the morning rays, they were mesmerizing. "They're beautiful." Bob said, staring at them – feeling himself drawn into their fiery light.

Suddenly, he was high above the countryside. He could sense the air currents as he soared among brilliant clouds. Time had no meaning but awareness slowly crept back into his mind. He felt a jolt of adrenaline, lost focus, and began to plummet to the ground.

Bob started, opening his eyes. "What a crazy dream," he muttered.

A flash caught his eye. Two crystal shapes gleamed on the window sill. Bob felt a surge of irrational hope - and smiled.

Notes:
An entry for the 1/27/10 round of "Daily Flash Fiction Challenge [13+] as part of The Talent Pond's "Winter Writing Warm Up [E]
Prompt: Write a story that includes the words or phrases: penguin, polar bear, crystal

Word Limit: 300
Word Count: 300

Thank you for taking the time to read my story. Please, if you're going to rate this, leave a comment. Come to think of it - as long as you're here, leave a comment *Laugh*. Criticisms, thoughts, reactions, yes – even a kind word of encouragement – are all equally welcome *Smile*

Ken
© Copyright 2010 🌕 HuntersMoon (huntersmoon at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1640014-A-Gift-of-Freedom