*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1642672-Busted
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1642672
Jim is busted.
Prompt for 2/4

Write a story that includes the words: flag, key, diamond

Word Count:  299



Busted

         

Jim’s heart pounded as he lifted the window to his friend’s bedroom.  He knew that Sammy never locked it because they had been friends forever.  Most people hid a key somewhere outside the house, just in case, but Sammy’s parents didn’t think that was safe.  They feared that someone would use it to break in.  Like a hundred times before, Jim slipped into Sammy’s familiar room, with the rebel flag hung over the bed, but this time was different.

Jim hadn’t slept all night.  All his friends had the latest iPod touch, and he wanted one too.

Like every Friday night, he spent the evening at his best friend’s house.  Sammy’s mother had always treated him like one of the family which meant that he was expected to help with the dinner dishes.  Last night, after supper, when he had helped clean the kitchen, he had seen it, laying near the sink.  Before he realized what he was doing, he’d slipped it in his pocket.  He planned to hock the diamond ring, but he just couldn’t.

Sammy’s mother always taxied her boys to soccer on Saturday afternoons, so Jim knew that no one would be home; nevertheless, he had to hurry because Sammy’s dad might be back any minute.  Looking right and left, he abandoned the safety of Jim’s room and ventured into the hall. 

Meow!  Jim jumped and almost screamed.  Just the cat.  Blood pumping, lungs pounding, he tiptoed to the living room.  Nobody.  He drew a deep breath and entered the kitchen.  Clear.  He walked over to the sink, pulled the ring out of his pocket and laid it down.  Sighing, he turned to leave.

“Jim Anderson!” 

Sammy’s mother stood in the doorway, blocking his escape, staring him in the eyes.  “Is that my missing ring?”

© Copyright 2010 Tadpole1 (tadpole1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1642672-Busted