*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1646549-Clarity
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1646549
Sam and Audra, the perfect couple. Almost perfect. Sam was affectionate but -
Clarity

Audra languidly stretched, enjoying the warmth of the covers and the feel of the sheets sliding over her body. Now, if only Sam was here ... The thought was interrupted as her hand came into contact with some long and hard.

Turning, she spied the T.V. remote nestled among the covers. Audra let out a loud laugh. "Just my luck! Valentine's day and I'm reduced to fondling a clicker!"

Sam was scheduled to be back from his trip to Switzerland the next day. He had been gone a week but he had called her every day. "I promise," he said, "I'll make it up to you. We'll just celebrate one day later. Besides, you love it when I travel. I always bring you something special back, don't I?"

Audra thought back. A silk kimono from Japan, a beautiful ivory statue from South Africa ... Yes, Sam, you are thoughtful. "Well, this time all I want is you," she said.

"I'll be home before you know it. Of course, that assumes I finish up here," he said with a laugh in his voice. "I'd better get going so I can leave on time. I'll call you later, bye."

"And I love you too," she said to the now silent phone.

She remembered their first meeting ... was it only a year ago she asked herself? They had hit it off instantly and within a few months they had moved in together. Sam and Audra, the perfect couple. Almost perfect. Sam was affectionate and attentive but ... Audra shook herself. It irked her that he had never said "I love you." He loved being with her, he loved making love to her, he loved talking with her, he even claimed he loved arguing with her. "But, does he love me?" she whispered, half afraid to find out the answer.

The unmistakable fragrance of fresh brewed coffee insinuated itself into her consciousness. "Time to rise and shine, silly girl," she lectured herself.

Audra threw on her old flannel robe, her "security blanket" as Sam called it, and made her way to the kitchen.

"Good morning, sleepy head."

Audra let out a scream at the greeting, looking wildly around. There sat Sam, a big grin on his face, looking pleased with himself at her reaction.

"Sam ... what?"

"We wrapped up early and I was able to switch my flight. You didn't think I'd miss Valentine's Day, did you?" He walked over and took her in his arms, pressing her tightly against himself, his lips hungrily finding hers and cutting off any response.

Finally breaking, she murmured, "Oh Sam – you've no idea how much I missed you."

"Well, before we get into that," he said with a mischievous smile, "look what I brought you." With a flourish, he produced a heart shaped box. "Taa-daa. The finest Swiss chocolates – and not just any chocolates. Each of these is filled with love."

Audra smiled a "thank you."

"What's wrong," he asked?

"Nothing. That was very thoughtful of you ..."

"But what?" He smiled, adding, "I heard the 'but' in your voice."

"I've been thinking a lot lately – about us. I'm not sure ..."

He cut her off. "Look inside my heart and tell me what you see."

"That's just the problem. I'm not sure what's inside your heart," she said, blinking back tears.

"No. I said look inside my heart and tell me what you see." he said pushing the box of chocolates over to her.

Audra was confused. What is he saying? What have a box of chocolates to do ...

He lifted the lid of the box and there, in the center, stood a ring, the diamond flashing in the morning sun with a fiery brilliance. "Don't you think it's about time that we made official what I've known from the day I met you? Audra, I love you."

Without knowing how, she found herself in his arms, her lips against his and this time, it was her hunger that overwhelmed him.

Audra couldn't stop from smiling causing Sam to pull back. "What?" he asked, returning her grin.

"I may not always know what's in your heart," she said impishly, "but I sure know what's on your mind!"

Gathering her up in his arms, Sam made sure she had no doubt about what he was thinking.


Notes:
An entry for February Round -- "PDG Alumni Short Story Contest [13+]
Prompt: "Look inside my heart and tell me what you see." When using this quote in the story, please make it bold.

Word Limit: Less than 1,000 Words
Word Count: 722

Thank you for taking the time to read my story. Please, as long as you're here, leave a comment. Criticisms, thoughts, reactions, yes – even words of encouragement or praise – are all equally welcome *Smile*

Ken
© Copyright 2010 🌕 HuntersMoon (huntersmoon at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1646549-Clarity