*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1655700-Dictionary-Blues-2nd-Place
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1655700
Keeping words happy is a full time job.
“Hey Mr. Author pick me, pick me!” I stared at the word ‘Happy’. *Smile* “I can make your piece full of joy and smiles.” *RainbowL**RainbowR*

*Angry* 'Anger': “You don’t want that! Put me in instead. I bring passion and flare.”

‘Bones’ just lay there. ‘Mystery’ *Question* peeked his head in although no one knew why. ‘Tower’ was aloof. ‘Confusion’ came in and well…*Confused*

“Stop it now,” I said
{'Stop': "Thank you." (giggles)} *Delight*

“I’ll choose the words,” It’s my story you know.

“We know!” They shouted in unison.

“Now, what should I write about?” *Pencil*

“Well as a representative of the CWUINES Society…”, ‘Represent’ stated.

“The what?”

“Why the ‘Common Words Used in Nearly Every Story’ Society, of course. I’ve been elected five years running.”

“Who was elected before?”
{‘Elected’: “He picked me!”}

“That would be ‘present’, but she was full of double meanings and the words had difficulty understanding when she wanted to be called ‘present’ or ‘pre-sent’. It was all very confusing.”

“I see. Well I have a story to write.”

‘Lamenting’: “You probably won’t choose me. I never get picked.” *Shock*

“I chose you just two stories ago. You know, the trumpet piece.”


‘Represent’: “We just want to say at CWUINES that whatever piece you decide is fine.”

“That’s very nice, but what about the other words? You know, like heresy, flippant, monger, kaleidoscope, and befuddle?”

‘Represent’: “I would be happy to represent them. I’m always seeking votes.”

“This is too much. I'm trying to be a ‘Rising Star*Star*, but it just seems like too much work.”
{‘Work’: “Now you’re talking.”}

I sighed. “I have to go. Try to arrange some sentences for me ‘Represent’”

“Same problems. ‘Brevity’ wants to keep it short. The conjunctions want to keep adding on…”

I slammed the dictionary closed.

“I’m going to work. It’s easier.”


300 Words
Flash Story Contest must contain the words: bones, tower, star
© Copyright 2010 BScholl (the0hawk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1655700-Dictionary-Blues-2nd-Place