*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1657178-Kid-Pix
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1657178
(Writers Cramp Winner!) - Thinking of sleeping tonight? Be AFRAID! Be VERY afraid!!
PROMPT:
Write a poem or story that uses the following title:

Kid Pix.

You can write whatever you think goes with such a title,
but don’t forget to title your piece correctly!

680 Words


KID PIX

With his shadow looming before him, and the cheery sun shining behind him, a bulbous creature lumbered loudly down the road. He plodded and kicked up dust and mumbled miserably to himself as he went along. "Kid Pix. Kid Pix! Kid. Pix."

He wobbled past a wonderfully shelled creature who stared at him with unblinking white eyes. The shelled creature thought the passing creature didn't exactly look like a potato - more like what a potato would look like if someone had scraped out its innards and replaced it with sand. One thing for certain, it was as ugly as it was repetitive. It was the infamous KID PIX and nobody, not even the dreaded Dog Snaxer, got in its way. The shelled creature blinked its white eyes once more, and curled up to turn into a rock.

The KID PIX with its unfortunate appearance continued to plod down the brown road until it reached what was not exactly a door. Most doors, you see, are surrounded by walls, which in turn hold up the door. This one appeared to be gifted enough to stand without any support. And much like an endless abyss, a void of terrible nothingness, it was entirely black. With a grunt, the Kid Pix creature rolled its form through the dark hole that wasn't exactly a door. And as one might expect, it came rumbling out the other side, but certainly not without a bit of effort. It was a rather tight squeeze, and everyone knows that the Kid Pix was very ungraceful (although nobody was brave enough to tell him so).

The other side looked like this:

It was dark but a sliver of light took away the most of the fright, or so it is said. The ceiling was very low. So low in fact that the Kid Pix was now much more shaped like a pancake than a potato. What may have been curtains fluttered down to the left and the right and appeared to be decorated with a rather unpleasant floral pattern. But what may have been curtains were actually bedsheets, and the Kid Pix was actually beneath the bed in poor Johnny's bedroom!

Sweet dreams filled Johnny's head as he basked in the comforting glow of his fright-reducing nightlight. He had no idea that he was about to be abducted by the most despicable Picker of Children, the Plucker of Beautiful Babies, the thing that doesn't REALLY go bump in the night, but does indeed grunt quite a lot... the dreaded, horrible...

"Kid Pix?" The vile thing seemed to ask as it slid out from beneath the bed's shelter. And here is where it gets strange. From a small slit in what could unreasonably be considered a head, thereby logic dictating the slit to be a mouth, snaked a fat tongue. It was so terrible, this tongue, that it dripped with claws painted red (which was actually considered to be quite fashionable at the time according to the trendiest magazines).

The Kid Pix grabbed onto sleeping Johnny's leg, and with a tug and a grunt tumbled the sleeping child onto the floor. With another grunt, and with a victorious "Kid Pix!" the Kid Pix gave Johnny a hug - a big, tight, fierce hug - and little Johnny SCREAMED as any child would at being woken up in such a bizarre and rude manner. And then Johnny was gone. And the room was silent. And the nightlight caused shadows to creep menacingly along the walls, and it no longer seemed comforting but creepy, because perspective must indeed change when a child is suddenly snatched and devoured in its sleep.

Sinking back into the dark, abysmal hole from which it came, Kid Pix retreated back to its own world, and its belch shook the birds from their branches, sending them off in a fright.

© Copyright 2010 Eva White (evawhite at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1657178-Kid-Pix