*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1662550-Farinza
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Script/Play · Satire · #1662550
Just a conversation amidst awkward circumstances at an awry birthday party.
Farinza – an evening extraordinaire!
______________________________


It was a lazy Sunday morning. Farhan was invited to Zaid’s birthday celebrations. It would be another crowded affair sans sanity at his place. Farhan had no apparent intention of going. He never wanted to be one among the swarm and always tried his bit to escape socializing. Instead he wanted to go fishing. Any place where he could give his life a serious thought now that he was done with his studies.

He was 24 …. No job and absolutely single. So yes, his life was chaos.

However on the day, as it turned out Zaid was the 1st visitor at his home to wreck his quiet morning. Ah! The agony of having best friends and the agony of having them come over unannounced.

“Why the hell are you here? I wished you last night, didn’t I?” Farhan enquired.

“Yeah, for once you remembered. I just came to fetch my gift” Zaid replied.

“What gift! Loser, I’m broke … If you still need a memoir, Kiss my ass and grace yourself” Farhan countered sardonically and both of them split into laughter.

“You’re my friend, C’mon, you owe me one” Zaid pursued his case further.

“Yes, I’m your friend but not your fraaaand. Why’d I get you a gift? She would get you one. I mean bhabz. Errr, I mean Mehnaaz Ji or perhaps you’d appreciate it if I call her Mehnaaz didi” Farhan chuckled.

Zaid, having already given up at the odds of a gift, couldn’t locate the humor in his statement but Farhan found it very entertaining. One of the virtues of being single is that relationships somehow are always a convenient subject of tease.
However this glory for Farhan lasted only until he was single which in principle, was about 11 PM the same night.
Love at first sight or was it!?!!






Scene 1 – The get-together.
___________________________

At the party Zaid was toast of the moment for everybody, quite obviously. So he was fairly unavailable for Farhan who was acting retard out of tedium and swinging from one corner of the hall to another.

Out of complete carelessness, he smashed into the most alluring girl in attendance – Kinza.

She stopped at once, as if frozen. With eons of disgust on her face she turned around with the words, "Look around while walking dimwit, there are better places to get wasted”

“Wasted? As if I’m drunk, duh!” he murmured to himself in a slapdash fashion escaping the situation but while he was working on his getaway, he couldn’t help but stare at her. It was utterly fulfilling. It was not often that he felt like this but for this once, he was bedazzled. The only thing crossing his mind was, “If there is one, it’s her, Period”

Farhan, elated made his way to Zaid and threw his arms around him, "I just love you! I knew it would be special. It is…Yesss!”

“And what is? The birthday cake?” Zaid sadistically asked.

“That girl in black with the Ayesha Omar hairstyle” Farhan replied with a sparkle in his eyes.

“Ayesha Omar, huh! Since when does she have a hairstyle! Anyways, you mean the girl in black with untied hair.” Zaid voiced a cynical evaluation.

They walked towards her and Zaid’s look changed from casual to cautious the moment he saw her more clearly,”Shit! Tragedy! You guys can't be together and if you want to know why? Well then, she is Kinza and that’s why. Again, She is KINZA and you are JUST Farhan. I’m so sorry for you” he further remarked.

“Dude. Get lost. I’m going to handle this on my own” Farhan proclaimed with great intent. So he left for his one chance at triumph – Mehnaaz.

Farhan: “Hey Naaz how’ve you been doing. Can’t tell you how much I’ve missed you. You rarely show up these days”

Mehnaaz: “Look who’s talking. Since when can you stand me? Last time I remember you found me bland”

Farhan: “That was just to pull Zaid’s leg ya’. You’ve always been such a sweetheart”

Mehnaaz: “Alright, what do you want?”

Farhan: “See, I always knew you were an angel or else Zaid wouldn’t be as spell bound”

Mehnaaz: “Point!”

Farhan: “*smirks*”

Mehnaaz: “I meant. Come to the point, loser”

Farhan: “That girl in black with UNTIED hair. Who is she? I mean whoever she is Naaz, I want to know everything about her…. You know what I mean, right… Please help me through this one!”

Mehnaaz: “Oh! Kinza… she is from my college and that is all you need to know about her”

Farhan: “Your college, that’s help. Tell me more – advice, inform, notify, update??”

Mehnaaz: “Is it the ultimate bachelor wooing a girl, Hahahaa. Sad though. Of the three billion in this world you had to single out her”

Farhan: “Why are you people so obsessed by her anarchy. Is she some kind of lady ninja?”

Mehnaaz: “I hate to break this to you but unlike you who THINKS he is an alpha male, she for one really is an alpha female. She is unapproachable Farhan, totally unfriendly. Let go”

Farhan: “righttt! Alpha female*grins*…that’s lame. Try using the word femme fatale instead. And just to make it clear Naaz, letting go is not an option”

Mehnaaz: “Whatever! Here is what all I know. She’s single, sharp, and hostile. She loves music, mostly country, blues and soul. She is doing her PG in Environmental sciences. She is passionate about environmental issues - global warming, crop genetics etcetera. She’s already working with an NGO and if that isn’t enough she is the daughter of Mr. Wajahatullah Malik. So just walk out of this infatuation. Life’s not your boy band thing anymore”

Farhan: “Boy band! *Mwwah* Great Idea! So much I regret you falling for Zaid at times”

Mehnaaz calls for Zaid and starts, “Zaid, he is doing it all over again”

Zaid: “Farhan, jab or punch. Pick one?”

Farhan: “Eww, Mehnaaz didi is lying. I didn’t say a word. Swear!”






Scene 2 – The Showman.
______________________

Suddenly, the music in background stopped playing. It put an infinitesimal cease in the activities and the buzz around the hall. From within this brief moment of lull, the self envisaged Bruce Springsteen of contemporary age came to centre-stage, constantly fiddling the strings of his guitar in sync with his steps. Once at the centre, his magnanimous stroke of high chords was well acknowledged and he was applauded by one and all in anticipation of a good act.

Farhan: “Hey friends, I’m here to dedicate these few stanzas for my friend. He has always been a pain in the ass and what’s worse he’s lived through one more year. To you Zaid - Down by the river – I guess, everything said and done, I do owe you one”


"Be on my side,baby
I'll be on your side,
There is no reason
for you to hide
It's so hard for me
stayin here all alone
When you could be
taking me for a ride.

Yeah, she could drag me
over the rainbow,
send me away
Down by the river
I shot my baby
Down by the river,
Dead, oh, shot her dead.

You take my hand,
I'll take your hand
Together we may get away
This much madness
is too much sorrow
It's impossible
to make it today."


He showcased mad vocals. Add to that some awesome guitar play. It was simply a trance inducing performance and everyone appeared amazingly overwhelmed. With the sheer amount of rousing appreciation he got, it seemed more like a concert and less of a birthday party.

So there he was, “the-ever-so-trying-hard-to-be-low-key” Farhan was again a standout person in the gathering. Countless eyes were rolling over him, checking him out. Each one of the girls sighing and the boys cursing him for the run down.
Yes, the good old guitar still does it for some.

Zaid surprised by this unforeseen gesture rushed to him: “Cool ya’. But over these years you’ve never played for me. Not even when I was down to pleading. What’s the deal today?”

Farhan: “Grrrrr. I’m sorry ya’. Don’t act naïve. It’s just that Naaz told me Kinza likes country music”

Zaid: “She likes football too. Do you want to score some goals in my courtyard as well?” Shame! Did you forget the pledge, Never ever, ever, ever let a girl make you who you are?”

Farhan: “Yeah….coming from a guy who does homework for his girl, huh! Why don’t you go and fetch Mehnaaz some orange juice?”

Mehnaaz came over to Farhan with a wicked smile and whispered, “Hey Farhan, come with me. Let me introduce you to some friends”

Farhan: “Naaz I love you for this……Err Naaz didi *smiles*”

Mehnaaz: “Yeah whatever makes you sing another song”

“Hey Zaid, follow us with that orange juice” Farhan screamed at him indiscreetly while walking with Mehnaaz to the other side of the hall.





Scene 3 – The Introduction.
___________________________

Hey there, I want to introduce you to someone. He is Farhan, he is Zaid’s good for nothing best friend, Mehnaaz voiced.

Farhan: “Thanks Mehnaaz Ji. What a nice way to say that you don’t regret choosing him over me.

Zaid: “*interrupts* Ahem. Jab or punch, Farhan?”

Everyone burst out into laughter.

Mehnaaz: “Hey, where’d Kinza go?”

Some girl: “She went to the balcony”

Together they proceeded to the balcony and as Mehnaaz took the lead and greeted Kinza he could look at her face from a distance, glistening with attitude, perfection and grace. Reluctant to even self admit, he was edgy to the toe, anxious how he was going to pull it off, if at all he would.

Mehnaaz pointing towards Farhan,” Come over here. I want you to meet someone.”

He was hesitant while walking towards her, very nervous, still holding the guitar in his hand.

“Hey, I’m Farhan and about that collision earlier, I’m really sorry”, he introduced himself, awkward! Yet he couldn’t stop staring at her.

Farhan was thinking, “Wow... I’ve got to be the luckiest guy in the world to have come across her, even to have seen her. Look at her attitude, the flagrant elegance, the aptness and the refinement. She’s totally aware of how blessed she is.

“Hi, I’m Kinza” She smiled a little out of courtesy while looking into his eyes but somehow totally unflustered by the overture.

Kinza was thinking, “I like his eyes, sharp, curious and deep. If only he wasn’t as cheesy. If we didn’t have such an awful start, maybe we could have had a conversation”

Mehnaaz: “Guys, I’ll take your leave and check out on Zaid before he eats the cake ahead of time. You two talk”






Scene 4 – The confrontation.
____________________________

Kinza: “Do you think she is trying to set us up?”

Farhan: “No, she wouldn’t do that. She’s just being gracious”

Kinza: “Good, cauz frankly, I’ve better taste anyway”

Farhan: “*shocked* excuse me!”

Kinza: “Nothing. Didn’t mean to offend and you shouldn’t be in any case”

Farhan: “Shouldn’t be? Enlighten me”

Kinza: “Well, for a guy who exploits his talents to impress girls at social gatherings, I don’t think you’d have enough class to even feel offended *scores*”

Farhan: “Zaid is my best friend. I just wanted to make him happy”

Kinza: “Whatever! And you can keep that guitar down. I’m not the kind *chortles*”

Farhan: “Hey, what’s with you? You’re really unfriendly”

Kinza: “Blah”

They go silent and uneasy quiet prevailed, both of them absorbing the picturesque surroundings from the balcony. The calm, the solace was too tempting to be disregarded.
And finally …..

Farhan: “Wonderful breeze. Moments like this give perfect expression to life?”

Kinza: “Yeah, now that makes you write a poem, isn’t it?”

Farhan: “*beat* Are you always this hard to talk to?”

Kinza: “Well, not when people make sense but forever when they are fake”

Farhan: “Fake?”

Kinza: “Yeah, fake. Thesaurus defines it as pretentious, phony, sham. Typically for me it would mean somebody who doesn’t act like himself and tries to be someone else.”

Farhan: “*feeling inferior* Good English”

Kinza: “Good judgment as well, right?”

Farhan: “*Sighs* you really are lady ninja”

Kinza: “What?”

Farhan: “Lady ninja – incredulous female combatant always eager to pick up a fight"

Kinza: “Grrrrr!”

Farhan: *moral victory*

Kinza: “and where did you get that from?”

Farhan: “I have this tendency to read people”

Kinza: “there again, cheesy! Would you stop trying?”

Farhan: “Alright, I own up. But I’m not always like this, you see”

Kinza: “ahaan! So, what’s special about today?”

Girls! They always have the right words for the right moment. It must be in their programming.

Farhan: “umm, emm aaaa, actually...”

Kinza: “So, it’s me. You played that song for me? Perhaps your way of apologizing”

Bold is good but sometimes bold hits below the belt and for this once Farhan was experiencing an unfamiliar echelon of vulnerability. He totally lost control over the conversation. Kinza represented audacious and now he exactly knew what the forewarning from Naaz and Zaid was all about.

Farhan: “umnh, Yes”

Kinza: “Is that all you’re going to say, yes!”

Farhan: “I don’t want to come out fake”

Kinza: “Well then, be sincere”

Farhan: “Can’t risk being cheesy either”

For the first time during the entire conversation, Kinza was in good spirits, smiling. And although it came as the cost of his stupidity, he had no regrets.

Kinza: “So, are you making any attempt or not?”

Farhan: “I wish I could explain”

Kinza: “Never mind, it happens”

Her approach startled Farhan. He went quiet. His pursue had no bearing on her. She took it very casually as if such advents were routine. Like a modern day Cleopatra, unfazed by all the attention.

Kinza: “dreaming?*Snap*”

Farhan: “hey, why are you by yourself? Why not hang around with folks inside”

Kinza: “Socializing involves people. I don’t usually like people besides you’ve been good enough company, until now”

Farhan: “good enough? Hunh! I’m a star on my day”

Kinza: “too bad you don’t seem to have many of them” she comment stridently.

It’s time to slash the cake so everyone proceeds towards the centre board inside and gets ready with the B’day jingle. Farhan starts to face the hallway and in excitement extends his hand towards Kinza so they could perhaps walk in together.
Mistake! She gave him a cold, cold, cold stare. He was sensible enough to tiptoe slowly on his own but not before giving her that candid persecuted look.






Scene 5 – The Ensnare.
______________________

After obliging the birthday boy, once the flock dispersed, following moments of self enforced aloofness, Farhan gave up on his qualms and started looking around for her. He found her in the same balcony, evading the crowd yet somehow prevailing as the centre of attention.

Such bewildering beauty! Voluntarily shielded by unsociable spikes of hostility and discourteousness, like she was trying to guard herself by some kind of uncouth barbwire.

Endorsing these thoughts, Farhan came over to the balcony and mustering enough courage exclaimed “The breeze, it’s still blowing”

Kinza: “Again thinking about writing that poem, hunh?”

Farhan: “Got a pen?”

Kinza: “Are you serious? And if you are, here...”

Farhan takes about 4 minutes scripting something on a paper napkin, folds it haphazardly and confers it to her. It read:

"The burden of hostility that I’ve met
The persistent accumulation of regret

The darkness along the path of my life
Everyday struggles, never ending strife

The night time full of distressing fears
Dreams only a window of nightmares

But mirror of verve is not blaming thee
The cause of my misery is none but me"

Kinza: “*Awestruck* Omg! It’s … wow… it’s nice. You do have your days. It’s good…yeah... good”

Farhan: “thanks, I know…so I’ve decided to reimburse the effort by keeping your pen” he commends himself with a gazillion watt smile.






Scene 6: The Footing.
_____________________

The next two hours were spent in inclusive harmony, affability and camaraderie. There were no fences of sarcasm, no efforts of repulsion. They were truly enjoying each others company. And contrary to their recent affiliation, it seemed like they knew each other for quite sometime.

Kinza was every bit the person she was made out to be, genuinely superior but Farhan, like mentioned, did have his days and today was one of them. They spoke about their lives and opened up in a way deemed impossible considering they only knew each other for the briefest of time period.

Yes! Trusting someone is an issue with people but it is also a fact that you happen to know. You just know when to trust someone. You just know when to take your chances.
Ah! Human spirit *take a bow*

Kinza: “Farhan, you mentioned earlier that you read people, what else do you read in me?”

Farhan: “Are you sport enough? I don’t fabricate my observations”

Kinza: “Ah! Bring it on, fakster”

Farhan: “Honestly, I’m convinced into believing that you’re lonely. Don’t mistake me. I don’t mean alone, just lonely. I get this feeling that you think you don’t belong to the place wherever you stand in life. I think beyond your veil of anger and spite, you’re a very weak and vulnerable person. But then again, I maybe wrong”

Kinza: “So you are” and with these words she got wary that on occasion her face might’ve given away too much or perhaps it was just him. Him, who was able to decipher her in earnest.






Scene 7: The proposal.
______________________

“So you sing for every girl you like, hunh?” she sought to know after being beset by his true to life assessment of her.

Farhan: “So you know I like u?”

Kinza: “Duh’ha! Farhan, I’ve IQ probably 19 times as yours”

Farhan: “Modesty ehh, keep it coming”

And with a cynical smile, both of them somewhat befuddled about the revelation, tried to laugh it off except consciousness had already crept in and Farhan knew only one way to set it right.

Farhan: “You know Kinza, Some of the high tide rules don’t apply when you’re not afraid to admit being susceptible. I’m going to tell you straight out. I’m very attracted to you. Attracted? as in…..Well, whatever describes the words ‘I’ve no reasons but I like you very much’”

Kinza felt a little ill at ease. Whether it was the hesitancy or the anxiety, she hadn’t a clue. She knew he was keen but she didn’t see this coming. She had always been fixated about holding fort and her innate response at instances like this would be blatantly rogue but she didn’t want to spoil their rapport either. She had started to like him.

“That’s very flattering but I’ll pass” she retorted, hoping he gets the cue and rests his case.

Farhan: “It’s not flattery. Flattery is what you get from someone who’s thinking about making a move on you. I’m just a guy confessing my feelings in a secluded, starlit balcony”

Kinza: “I’m not sure how to react here. What am I supposed to say? Look, don’t spoil it, alright” she brought him back to sanity.

Farhan: “The moment we collided today, I was hit by lightning. As fake it may sound to you, I haven’t ever felt like that before and I’m willing to take my chances. And you know what, I’ve started to believe that cupid really exists”

Kinza, *stunned* took a step back, dropped the courtesy and went silent. It scared Farhan to guts knowing how radical she could be as a person. You don’t become popular for nothing. At this moment he was ruing being upfront with her. All he wanted now was to salvage their friendship out of this objectionable advance that he had made.

Farhan: “Hey, don’t go silent on me. I’m not going to act stupid anymore. I just meant to be honest, alright! Fine, let’s call it flattery but I imagine you’ve deflected plenty of it through your life, right. Throw away my attempt too. Please”

Kinza: “Farhan, We barely know each other. I mean….. How could you even come up with something as ridiculous? You know what, I’m entitled to abuse you and walk away right now but frankly, I don’t want us to turn sour. I just hope you realize that and respect it if you wish for us to be friends”

Farhan: “fair enough! Kinza, I really didn’t intend to bring this up. I know it feels absurd but it seemed the moment - A beautiful girl in black, a sprinkle of moonlight in the balcony, the breeze singing a song. Who would resist? Besides for once, you were more of you and less of your sarcasm. Perhaps my susceptibility towards my emotions conceded but I’m glad we surpassed this moment of madness. I promise to act rational from now on”






Scene 8 – The Dare.
___________________

Little by little they fought through the awkwardness and built up on a conversation, returning to the realm of being enamored. Two individuals who really seemed to take pleasure in each other’s company and although reluctant to admit perceptibly, both of them sensed that the intricacies of their relationship had now changed somehow. No one can really discount the fact that a proposal had happened whether desired or not.

Kinza: “So are you always this impulsive and spontaneous with your decisions” referring to him proposing her within hours them meeting.

Farhan: “Not impulsive. I just know things. Maybe that accredits to my flamboyance”

Kinza: “rrright, well then, let’s see some of that flamboyance and this time make sure I’m not the victim” she smirks while battling her eyelashes.

Farhan had always been the resource mobilizer of his squad. One who never shied away from any challenge? Living up to that reputation, he marched inwards to the hall where everyone was busy chatting subsequently asking for the attention of the audience. Ecstatic that he was going to sing another song, the crowd obliged him and assembled around him. It was then when he started:
I know you’re expecting some string work and it might be inopportune to bring this up right now but I urge your involvement.
“Guys, we are eating our planet. Polythne, deforestation, extinction. It’s all here. But worse than all of this is Global warming. We are over heating the planet. The amount of carbon footprint we release into the atmosphere is causing severe climate change, the weather patterns, ocean water levels, biotic factors, it’s all being affected. I’m here to request you to do your bit to help. Spread the awareness. Align with the cause. Thank you all for being so patient”.

Kinza: “What the hell was that? That was daring. You’re really something” she commented on his antic while trying not to appear charmed. She found his initiative very special considering she was an ardent advocate of global warming campaigns herself.

Farhan: “Well, it’s flamboyance you asked for *winks*”

Kinza: “And may I ask why the subject was global warming and not reservations, child marriage or poverty alleviation?”

Farhan: “Oh! I’m totally into Gw…Like totally…you know. I’m a luminary in the Gw community on facebook” he stuttered.

Kinza: “ahaan,” and she raised her brow.

Farhan: “alright alright, Mehnaaz told me that you’re into…ehh…ummh… Global Warming, NGO’s and stuff.”

Kinza: “Omg Omg, loser. And you’ve been trying to set me up, moron”

Farhan: “A man needs all the help he can accrue when you’ve lady ninja to impress. Forget impress I think people may very soon need a doctorate just to have a word with you”

Kinza: “Yeah whatever. You’re a fakster, nothing is going to change that” was all she said finding him terribly cute.






Scene 9 – The Exodus.
_____________________

It was time. The last few moments before the party would conclude. It was akin to a Cinderella story for both of them. For Farhan the gong was about to strike 12 and he would lose her to the territory of unknown again. As for Kinza, she felt a tad like the bona fide Cinderella herself? Unsure if it was real. Unsure if things could occur this way.

By this time one could clearly hear the retreat of cars from the parking lot down below and the exit was imminent. Until now all the pieces fit together perfectly but now it felt more like a dream. One that was too fancy to hold on yet too surreal to give up.

“Hey, it’s late. I’ve got to go” she said, shaping those reluctant steps away from Farhan.

Farhan: “How do we get in touch?”

Kinza: “Well, I’m in that Gw community on facebook that you’ve so clearly not joined until now”

Again, one of those moments followed that is hard to illustrate. Life is so awkwardly pleasant at times, isn’t it?

Farhan: “Let me escort you downstairs and maybe you’ll feel like sharing your phone number”

Kinza: “and won’t you feel the need to accompany me if I give you the number right away”

Farhan: “How can you be so good? Damn it”

Kinza: *Battling eyelashes*

Farhan: “No really, I hate losing but I’ve to admit, I love losing to you”

Kinza: “Making a move again”

Farhan: “No. I’d rather wait for the time when I don’t have to” as he said these words some sort of ineptness returned to kinza’s face but for this one time it was probably due to shyness and not reservations.

Kinza: “I’ll go now” were the only words she could say beyond that.

Farhan: “I’d come along to the parking”

Kinza: “No, It‘d look odd. Stay with your friends. You don’t want to be seen around with an arrogant spoilt girl. Won’t suit your image, fakster”

Farhan: “Precisely why I’m insisting, to be able to stay with friends”

Kinza: “Let me make this trouble free for you, 77546 & don’t follow me. My driver’s downstairs” with these words she left the balcony.

After thanking Mehnaaz and Zaid which seemed to be a reticent thank you anyway, she took the stairs and left.






Scene 10 – The Rescue.
______________________

Once at the lot she realized that her driver was yet to show up. It gave handy time to some filthy louts in proximity to pass lewd comments. And just as the situation was getting slightly out of hand Farhan dropped in out of nowhere.

She was shaky. He held her hand sternly, took her away and led her to his car, ruffians jeering at the two. He asked her to stay and returned eager to set them straight. And so he did, a little. It was 3 on one so they beat him 3 times compared to his lone attempt but it was worth the attempt.

As the scuffle dispersed, a few bruises and some punishment later, he returned to his car. He opened the window and there was a shocker to be had. Kinza was silently weeping but not noticing that Farhan couldn’t remain in command of his instincts and started to admonish her further.

Farhan: “How can you be so careless? If your car didn’t arrive, why the fuck didn’t you come back upstairs or at least you could’ve called for me”

“And said what, some guys are stalking me. I could’ve managed. There was no need for you to put in an appearance” she lifted her tearful face, her eyeliner smeared all over.

Farhan was distressed to see her like that. He slid into the car, patted her head and assured her further. Strangely enough she felt safe with him. She didn’t experience the need to walk away or act firm. She had known him for just one evening and yet he was turning out to be her guardian angel. One who every woman craves for, who’s supposed to be there for her, by her side taking care of her whenever need be. So yes, with this behavior Farhan actually swept her off her feet.






Scene 11 – The Walk.
____________________

After she eased up a little, Farhan offered to drive her home. Her response was one out of the blue, somewhat unexpected.

Kinza: “What do you think, can we walk? It’s just 2 Kms”

Farhan: “Sure! But just to add to your awareness. My car is euro 3. It doesn’t contribute much to global warming…but then yeah…Let’s walk”

It was apparent that Farhan had picked up his share of satire from Kinza, and this statement amused both of them to their gut, their laughter echoing back strongly from the banks of the desolate road.

The stroll was fulfilling with not a soul around to instill any feelings of self consciousness. They were on their own, the sense of rationality and logic somewhat diminished by the sheer awe of the entire evening.

Farhan: “hey, there is one thing I forgot to tell you. I plan to be kind of unemployed for sometime”

Kinza: “and why is that important for me to know”

Farhan: “JLT, Maybe … uh umm...uhmm, maybe you could take care of my finances after my already-unemployment-ridden wallet gets stolen from the car. I forgot to lock it up”

Kinza: “So, earlier you were fake, now you’re broke. Good. But don’t worry fakster, I can take care of some responsibility. Why unemployed though? You play the guitar well.”

Farhan: “Play the guitar. rrright. So I should play at coffee shops and freeways, huh! Just so you might know I’ve an MBA too. And guess the specialization?”

Kinza: “Marketing- Major”

Farhan: “Neh, They call it NGO Management. Ahem!”

Kinza: “No way. You’re making that up too. You’ve got to be”

Farhan: “I’d rather say, we are destined to be who we are, how we are. And I guess my inclination towards NGO’s wasn’t awry anyway”

Kinza: “Yeah right. I can fetch the point” but really, what do you intend to do”

Farhan: “I want to be a writer….write a blog for starters, freelance. Then maybe a paperback and if that doesn’t work out then I’ll consider marrying”

They chuckled about the naivety of life and that how uncomplicated it can be at times. How the splendor of life lies in its unpredictability.

Kinza: “"Hey, why did you come back to the lot?"

Farhan: "For you"

Kinza: "Cut the theatrics. Tell me seriously"

Farhan: "Honestly, I came for you. The number you gave me. I tried it. It isn't a landline and if it's a mobile number then it’s 5 digits short”

Kinza: "That is there…Yeah…but I guess you've earned the prefix now – 94999”

“What a small price to pay” he exclaimed, touching one of his contusions as he let out a cry of anguish.

Kinza: "Hey, these bruises?”

Farhan: “God! It took you ages to ask….I had started to think you didn’t want to give me any credit” he replied with a sense of irony yet still reinforcing his commitment towards her, in whatever capacity she was willing to accept it.

Kinza: “Eww fakster, I do appreciate, alright. Although I would’ve done just fine…but….whatever”

Farhan: “You do realize that I wouldn’t hassle much if it was anybody else?”

Kinza: “ahaan”

Farhan: “alright, maybe I’d help but not the way I’d want to help you. Now stop giving me that look, please” he resigned.






Scene 12 – The Finale.
______________________

Kinza turned silent, not for the lack of words but for not having the right ones. And although she was apparently cherishing this turn of destiny, deep down being the girl she was, she simultaneously questioned the prudence behind it.

It’s was a personality conflict – but whatever it was, she was so not going to relinquish this feeling. Farhan has taken his chances. It was time she took hers.

Farhan: “Where did all the sarcasm go? What are you thinking about? Something you want to share?” he questioned hoping it was time the moves weren’t required.

Kinza: “The door”

Farhan: “What”

Kinza: “We’re here. My place”

Kinza walked away steadily towards the entrance of her place, mystified as if jinxed. Smearing the biggest smile she had known for a long time. Slowly with passing steps her silhouette retreating palpably. It was then when she heard from Farhan for the last time that night. He spoke in low pitched voice, just enough audible for her to heed “Kinza, I guess, I don’t want this to end” and she whispered back hoping he’d hear. “Maybe I don’t want it to either”


So he walked her home that night with the breeze bearing testimony and twinkling stars witness to the fact, everyone has a destiny and that when it arrives, just an evening is enough to give meaning to facets of your life that have been forever inane.
In this case, by the end of the night he had a girlfriend, sort of and she had a friend, undeniably.

--

Ps: I can’t really believe I actually finished it. 19th Feb 2010.

© Copyright 2010 Lubaid Khan (lubaid at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1662550-Farinza