*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1675036-Tea-Party
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Other · Tragedy · #1675036
Baby's having a tea party with a special guest.
The Tea Party

Bradley Johnson

         The table was set. There were five places: one for Baby, one for Mrs. Pinkerton, one each for Ella and Harvey, and finally a spot for the day’s special guest. This was the first time Momma would be joining everyone for tea. Baby circled the table muttering to herself, arranging and then rearranging the place settings. Everything needed to be perfect; that’s why she wore the big flower hat Gram’ma had left to her. It was Momma’s at one time.
         Since the occasion was so rare, the guest list was most exclusive. Mrs. Pinkerton was Baby’s oldest friend, having been with her since even before Daddy was taken away. She had the brightest red hair which Baby recently styled by cutting the left side close to the scalp and letting the right side cover her eye. She wore a silver chain and some fishnet gloves, with bright pink and black striped stockings and knee-high boots. Mrs. P was on the market and so Baby gave her a makeover.
         Ella and Harvey were unofficially dating and were invited because they were the only two left. Baby simply couldn’t invite one and not the other, besides, they were all good friends. Harvey was a rabbit with one eye, which he lost in the war where he was a scout. He and Mrs. P had a brief affair but things fell apart when he met another woman. Today he wore his most expensive black coat, complete with tails, which was nice since his was missing.
          Ella’s hair was blue and also covered her right eye, which didn’t open. Baby was careful to place her silverware to the right, as Ella was missing her left arm. When Baby first introduced Ella to the group, Ella mentioned getting her injuries in the war, just like Harvey. Mrs. Pinkerton lost the bunny forever, as he shortly became infatuated with the new woman. Mrs. P called him a “damn fool”  for believing the story; clearly, Ella was too young to have served. Still Ella won his heart and now she strings the poor bunny along to serve however she desires.
         Mrs. Pinkerton was sad and missed Harvey at first, but she’s now content to sit and watch as he wears himself out trying to keep the younger Ella pleased. She and Baby would talk at length about the relationship and Mrs. P would often end up in a fit of giggles.
         Baby sometimes felt bad for Harvey, seeing the way Ella would treat him and knowing that Mrs. Pinkerton no longer wanted him. She almost understood when he’d go out drinking only to come home and take his frustrations out on Ella.
         Baby was the perfect hostess, sitting between Mrs. Pinkerton and Harvey and facing the door so when Momma finally came in the table would appear inviting to her, rather blocked off by a bunch of backsides. Her dress matched her hat, big yellow flowers were printed across an off-white base. It was a little tight and there were a few stains here and there but it was still the pick of the litter. She wore a bright green shirt underneath with long sleeves to cover her arms. A classy tea party is no place for unsightliness.
         Baby righted her chair and sat to join the other’s discussion of the events of the past week, which included a possible new eye for dear Harvey as Mrs. Pinkerton found a button under the couch. Ella was suspicious, thinking Mrs. Pinkerton was wanting to win Harvey back, but she said nothing. The biggest discussion, however, dealt with Jenny Keith’s new puppy. Baby wasn’t invited to Jenny’s birthday, but she’d heard the pup was a real cutie. It was a shame the thing never shut up. Ever. Even Harvey, who was half-deaf since the war could barely sleep because of the nose. Clearly something needed to be done. The four were discussing different methods of dealing with the beast when the door slowly opened.
         Momma wore her best blue jeans and a classy black shirt which was accentuated with silver beads that lined the collar and the midline; it was Baby’s favorite. She wore bangles and large hoop earrings that shown from under her black curls. Her exposed eye was a little puffy and red and Baby thought her sad, but Momma was still the most beautiful woman in the world, as far as she was concerned.
         “Oh! Here’s our special guest,” Baby said rising from her chair, which fell due to the missing leg. “Everyone, this is Momma.”
         “Very nice to meet you all again,” Momma said through a broad smile.
         Momma watched in amazed amusement as Baby walked around the stained table, keeping perfect posture, and pulled the dingy round plastic chair. It was yellow and stained with grey but it was the thickest and sturdiest in the room. Only two of the chairs matched and all of them were either bought from Goodwill or the Salvation army. The table was found discarded on the side of the road. It was snatched up as a Christmas present for Baby.
         Momma couldn’t believe the trouble Baby went through for this party. She even covered the table with a large bed sheet to hide the big brown spot on the carpet.
         Baby went round the table making introductions, even though everyone was acquainted already. Momma barely recognized Mrs. Pinkerton with her new make-over. And she remembered Harvey’s eye upon seeing him. When Baby returned to her seat, Momma noticed a hole in the back of her dress. She wished she could afford a new one, but there was just no work. It would have to be sewn or, at worst, taped.
         Momma sat and the folded paper in her back pocket called for her attention. Her right eye twitched, but she ignored it to play with her daughter. Nothing would get in the way today.
         “We were just discussing Jenny Keith’s new puppy, Momma,” Baby said, “Even poor Harvey here is having trouble sleeping.”
         “I know, Baby. And I’m sorry, Harvey. I talked to Jenny’s mother last week and I’ll do it again tomorrow. Okay?”
         She hated this. At least if James were there, he’d talk to the neighbor and get the dog quiet, whether they did anything or not. If James wanted quiet, James got quiet. He had a way of getting what he wanted. Most of the time.
         “See, Harvey?” Baby said, “I told you Momma would take care of it.”
         Momma knew Baby idolized her, she just didn’t know why. It’s because she doesn’t know no better. She doesn’t know what Momma used to do. Doesn’t understand why Momma can’t move her legs in certain positions without pain. All Baby knows (and all she needs to know) is that Momma loves her and will do anything to protect her.
         Baby yawned.
         “You feeling ok after taking your vitamin?” Momma asked.
         “Yes, ma’am. I’m tired, though.”
         “It’s alright, Baby. We’ll lay down for a nap in a little bit.”
         Momma shifted in her chair and again the letter in her pocket called to her. She could no longer ignore the letter nor its contents and her eye became watery. It was from the state, the Department of Corrections.
“It is our duty to inform you of
the early release of your husband
James….”
         She didn’t bother to continue. She couldn’t. He was out. The son of a bitch got his way again and she knew what that meant; he’d told her as much. “A damned piece of paper never stopped nobody,” he said. His words echoed in her ear even after six years, “I’ll kill you and that little bitch, both.”
         “Let’s drink some Kool-Aide,” Momma said rising from the table.
         Baby wrinkled her brow and said, “But it’s a tea party, Momma! You’re supposed to drink tea.”
         Momma chuckled, which nearly burst into crying. “I’m sorry, Baby,” she said, “It is tea; it just tastes like Kool-Aide.”
         “Mrs. Pinkerton wants to know what flavor.”
         “I think it’s grape, Mrs. Pinkerton.”
         “Is that okay with everyone?” Baby asked around the table. “Now, Harvey, try not to be so hard to get along with. Fine. Everyone would love some, except for Harvey. Apparently he’s been allergic to grapes since the war,” she said while rolling her eyes and shaking her head.
         “Okay,” Momma returned, “Four cups, then.” She turned and pulled the door almost shut to return to the kitchen. Baby didn’t need to see Momma crying. She pulled the letter out and left it on the counter while she crushed the little green pellets. All the while she remembered what James had done. She remembered the big brown spot on the floor and how her right eye used to look straight and how her right ear didn’t used to ring all the time. She remembered how she used to be beautiful.
         As she crushed some more of the sleeping pills she remembered the first time James touched Baby. He was gentle, as a father should be. He held the baby and moved in close and kissed her on her sweaty forehead. They were so happy. But that was the dream. Real fatherhood kept James awake at night and ruined his fix, sometimes even demanding he go without. Hitting her was acceptable, but when she woke to find him putting a pillow over Baby’s face…
         “What are you doing Momma?” Baby asked.
         “Baby!” she cried, dropping to hug the child. “I’m just adding some special sugar. It’s almost done. Go tell everyone I’m on my way. Okay.”
         “Are you crying? What’s the matter?”
         “It’s okay, sweetie. Momma just hurt her finger,” she lied, “Go on, get ready.”
         She wiped her eye and took several deep breaths to try an calm herself. She didn’t care what people thought. He wouldn’t get the chance to hurt her Baby ever again.
         The “tea” was poured and Momma and Baby and everyone except Harvey the bunny enjoyed a glass or two while continuing the discussions of the day. They planned on operating on poor Harvey later in the week to give him his new eye, probably on Thursday or Friday. Jenny Keith’s parents would be spoken to again. Ella was so impressed with Mrs. Pinkerton’s make-over that she asked Baby to arrange one for herself. Baby happily agreed and suggested Mrs. P be involved as well; they’d make a girl’s night of it. Baby quietly said to Momma, “I’m hoping they can patch things up.”
         Baby’s eyelids were starting to sag and she began to yawn with increasing frequency.
         “I am just so tired all of a sudden,” she said. “I don’t really feel too good, Momma.”
         “Do you want to lay down, sweetheart?”
         “Uh-huh,” Baby replied with a nod.
         “Let’s go lay on Momma’s bed.”
         Baby rose from her chair and followed it to the floor. Momma rushed to her side and lifted her to cradle her as she walked to the bedroom.
         “I must have tripped,” Baby said.
         “It’s alright, Momma’s got you.”
         The hallway became a tunnel of blur as the bed at the other end became the focal point of the journey. If Momma turned her head too quickly, she lost balance and stumbled against the wall. A photo of her and Baby and James was knocked off and crashed to the floor, shattering the glass from the frame.
         As they tumbled to the bed, Momma became aware of a repeating beep that rang throughout the apartment. She slowly realized it was the phone calling out from the other room. It would have to go unanswered, though. With a drowsy eye she looked at her baby, already asleep. She barely had the energy to cry, but still managed to maneuver herself to kiss Baby’s forehead before passing out beside her.
         The phone rang again and startled her from her slumber for just long enough that she recognized the sound. It was impossible for her to get up, however; not that she would. And so she fell asleep for the final time as the telephone rang and rang.
         There was a detective on the other line, the lead investigator for her case against James. He was trying to call from the scene of a liquor store robbery turned bad. It seemed James needed some quick cash and decided to hold up the wrong place. The owner answered his cash demand with a shotgun. Baby and Momma could sleep knowing James would never bother them again.
© Copyright 2010 brad johnson (theeonion at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1675036-Tea-Party