*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1677101-A-Haunting-in-Grimly-Manor
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1677101
A boy goes into a haunted house for a school project and finds some pretty wierd stuff.
A Haunting In Grimly Manor
By The Narrator


“Joe Grimly was a very rich man who lived in a giant mansion on the outskirts of L.A. He was a very famous moviemaker who was rumored to have tortured his cast and crew. However when the cast and crew were asked this, they simply denied it very quickly, which has led to some controversy. Joe Grimly had lived from 1937, and died in 1984, said to have been murdered on the set of one of his films by his cast and crew. After he had died, multiple cast and crew had let loose and had told the press that Joe Grimly”-
The book was torn right down the middle, So much for the library. Jason had tried the Internet, attended seminars, and now he’s at the library, and he kept hearing the same thing about Joe Grimly, Where he lived, how long he lived, and the rumors. Other then that he had come up empty handed. He thought back to 2 weeks ago when he was told to research Joe Grimly.
It was on Monday at around noon and his class was about to go to lunch when the teacher, Mr. Render remembered to give the class an assignment.
“Class,” he said when he remembered “ I just remembered to give you an assignment”. The class groaned. They just got off of break and were not in the mood to have to do a big report.
“I want you to write a report about a very famous person. You can make it an oral, a written, or a Media
Presentation. I have some choices for you up here or you can make up your own choice. After you choose check with me to see if it’s okay.” He said holding up a stack of fliers. Jason, after looking through all the fliers and didn’t know whom any of the people were, had trouble paying attention in class. (He didn’t have ADD, he just had trouble paying attention). He decided to do Joe Grimly and that had turned to not be a very good choice as he couldn’t find any good info about him. He had decided to put it off for a while and now he had two days left.


*************************************************


He had decided to head home after another hour of looking at the library, had dinner, went to bed, and now he was at lunch the next day, talking to his friend James. He and James had been friends for about two years and had been called “The J Bros.” for the past year, even though they weren’t related.
“So, are you done with your report?” asked Jason, taking a bite of his ham sandwich.
“Just about. Who knew Albert Einstein was so easy?” James replied. Jason had remembered seeing that name in the choices Mr. Render had showed him. Jason only knew a little about Albert Einstein and didn’t want to try and research everything else about him.
“Who are you researching?”
“Joe Grimly” Jason replied.
“Isn’t that the guy who went insane at one point in his life?” James asked.
“That’s the one” Jason replied, “Unfortunately I’ve only been able to find that and the usual stuff”.
“Well isn’t his mansion about half a mile way?” James asked; as Jason nodded his head yes, mouth full of food. “Then you should head down there and look around, spend the night there. You’re bound to find something”.
“Isn’t that mansion haunted or something?” Jason asked.
“Oh please. You actually believe that stuff? That’s just all a myth to scare little kids.” James said,
“Look, just tell your parents that you’re going to sleep over at my house and ride your bike down there”.
“Okay, if you say so. But if I end up being chased by an ax wielding ghost you are going to owe me.” Jason said. What Jason didn’t know is that James would owe him, owe him a very large apology.


*********************************************

The plan had gone perfectly so far. Jason’s parents had believed him and now he was riding on his bike down to Grimly Manor. James didn’t want to come along and Jason was slightly mad at him, but he was sure it would blow over by the time he got back. Speaking of blowing the wind was really hurting his face. He wasn’t even pedaling that hard. The wind was blowing hard it was practically saying “Go back, Go back”. It was even making the trees point in the direction back to Jason’s house. As he saw the mansion rise over the hill he gasped. It was huge! He used to think that his house was big but now it seemed like a tinker toy to him compared to this. It was almost 50 ft. tall!
As he rested his bike along the side of his house he checked through his backpack to make sure he had everything. He had his sleeping bag, his pillow, his flashlight, and his book. That was everything. As he walked up to the door he saw a very odd looking doorknocker that looked like the face of a screaming man. When he went to open the door it opened by itself with an earsplitting creeeeeeak. As Jason stepped inside he was startled to hear the door slam behind him with an extremely loud SLAM! When he tried to open it, it wouldn’t budge. It was locked. More specifically, Jason was locked in for the whole night.



***********************************************

As Jason walked through the house he heard some strange noises, but put them off as sounds of the house. Some of them were, but not all of them. The creaking noise, for example, was coming from loose floorboards, as it does in most old houses. The tap tap tap noise, however, was not coming from a tree against a window, but from a few floors up, caused by a few specters beginning to materialize and form knocking against the walls and the doors wanting to come out of the rooms. As Jason went up to the next floor, not finding anything interesting on the first floor, the ghosts started to get excited.
All of a sudden, Jason heard a ding-dong, ding-dong, like the one from a grandfather clock that he had at his own house. He didn’t realize that until he turned a corner and saw a clock, with an unusual design filled with bats and bugs. This didn’t alarm him at first, until he realized something,
“This house had been abandoned for 10 years,” he said to himself “How is that clock working?!” Then, he saw the bats on the design on the clock start to move, and then fly away, getting caught in Jason’s hair. There were hundreds of bats flying around clawing at Jason’s face and body. Through the pain he felt and the screaming of himself he felt something at his legs. He looked down and saw scorpions crawling down at his feet. He screamed even louder, trying to fight his way through all the bugs, that were up to his legs and were crawling even faster, and the bats, all of them wanting to claw his face off. He spotted an old, rotting door a few feet away and leaped towards it, slamming into it and pushing it wide open. When he got into the room he slammed the door shut, trying to get away from the bats and the bugs. He collapsed into a corner, breathing hard, only being able to see from the moonlight. There had been some dim light out in the hallway, but now he could barely see his own hand in front of his face. He started to fall asleep, but then heard a strange sound, like a mix between playful laughter and gnawing. I didn’t take him long to figure out where the gnawing was coming from. He looked over at the door and saw a hole starting to form, as the bugs were chewing through the door! Not to long after that the bugs had chewed through the door and were swarming in, along with the bats. Jason huddled in the corner, hoping not to be seen, when he found himself in a different room. He looked out into the hallway, hopeful, only to realize that he was still in the mansion. What he didn’t realize was that he was on the same floor as all the ghosts, now fully materialized, and making a lot of noise.


*************************************************

Jason heard the noise and got scared but curious. He walked up and down the hallway, trying to find where the sound was coming from; finally figuring out it was coming mostly from the rooms. He was nervous at first to look into the rooms, but soon decided that it was silly and went to open one of the doors. The doorknob didn’t turn at first on account of the rust but soon begin to turn very slowly until Jason had turned it all the way. He then opened the door and was met with a blast of cold air and what looked like people and shadows not connected to anything flying past him, heading to open the other doors. Soon, all of the doors were open and all of the ghosts were flying around the mansion, making more noise than ever, and pushing Jason around. Jason ran into all the rooms, always being met by two or three ghosts in every room. He soon found an empty bedroom and dove under the bed in there, only to find a ghost right beside him, whom said to him,
“Evening”.
“AHHHHHHHH!” Jason screamed, running out of the bedroom and running down the hall, being chased by four different ghosts, each one carrying a different weapon, all of them lethal. All of a sudden, Jason stepped onto a weak spot on the floor and fell one floor down onto a very soft bed in the basement, which cushioned his fall. As he sat up he asked
“Why didn’t the ghost follow me down here?”
“Because it’s already too crowded” said a voice coming from all directions. Jason saw ten ghosts step out of the shadows, also carrying lethal weapons. Jason looked around frantically for steps, a flashlight a door, anything. He soon saw a tunnel and ran down it, not knowing where he was going, being chased by ghosts the whole way. He felt water filling his shoes, realizing he had ran into a body of water. He kept running though, and got to the middle of the water, the water up to his neck, his feet barely touching the bottom. He felt his feet touch a piece of rope and looked down to see what it was, his eyes now adjusted to the dark. He dove down deeper to get a better look, and saw that the rope was connected to a rubbery cork. He pulled on the rope, his curiosity getting the best of him, and succeeded in pulling the cork out. He felt a pulling sensation and was sucked down into what felt liked a bottomless pit, with the water being drained from the body of water. The water engulfed him and filled all of his air holes, causing him to hold his breath. When he felt as if his chest might explode he landed face first onto the floor, this landing being much more painful than his previous one into the basement. When he looked up he saw that he was in a dimly lit room, with a few cardboard boxes, and one couch. There was a man lying on the couch, looking at Jason, who was staring back at him.
“Hello Jason,” The man said, not taking his eyes off of Jason “Glad to finally meet you”.
“How-, How do you know my name?” Jason asked.
“How I know what I know and how I don’t know what I don’t know is not important. What is important is that now you’re here, and now you are my prisoner.”
“What?” Jason asked.
“You trespassed into my mansion and now you are my prisoner.” The man said.
“Well, who are you?” Jason asked.
“Joe Grimly, of course.” He replied with a slight chuckle in his voice.



************************************


Jason was breathing heavily as he ran down the hall, trying to escape. Every door he tried was either locked, or led to an untimely death. He heard Joe Grimly behind him and could tell that there were ghosts joining him. How is he still here? He thought to himself, throwing himself into an empty room after spotting it. He closed the door, then turned around to find Joe Grimly, standing in the corner.
“I’m still here, because I was killed in this house.” He said.
“Well, why were you killed?” Jason asked. “The rumors were true.” He replied. That’s all he said right before things started to tilt and turn and get a little blurry for Jason. He saw darkness closing in on him, right before everything went black.




Epilogue



Jason was back in bed.
“It was all a dream.” He said to his self, “It was all a dream!” He said happily to himself, as he danced around the room. And it was his room; it was his curtains, his bedpost, and his pillows, even his green covers! Except, his covers weren’t green, they were red, he slept with his little brother in the same room, but he wasn’t there, also Jason still had a head.
© Copyright 2010 thenarrarator (wertyou2 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1677101-A-Haunting-in-Grimly-Manor