*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1677668-Is-This-Thing-On-1st-Place
Rated: E · Short Story · Inspirational · #1677668
Bob stepped to the microphone and asked a simple question to the grads...
Bob surveyed the hat-oscillating high school graduates then stepped up to the microphone. The mere act caused the chatter to diminish. After shuffling a few papers, he tapped on the mic.

“Is this thing on?” Bob asked. “Is this thing on?” He repeated louder. The crowd fell silent, and a few stray “yes’s” were shouted among the gathering. Bob smiled.

“You’ll often ask yourself this question in life. Is this thing called life – “on.” Is it on track? Is it on what I dreamed it would be? Is it on, and directed to the path that I’ve wanted, to the goal I’ve chosen? ‘Is this thing on?’ will be a question that all of you will ask yourself throughout your lives.

The past is now written in stone. No longer can you go back and add to your high school experiences. The past is gone, but it is not useless. Rather, memories will remain with you until the day that you are freed from this Earth. Do not forget – for many lessons not readily apparent now, will be derived from these remembrances and beliefs.

The present is what we are defining now. The present is the only thing that you can control. Your thoughts. Your actions. Your words. These are what will define your every moment.

The future is full of aspirations. In your personal lives, most of you will strive to find a mate; One that will know you so well that ‘I knew you were going to say that’ will be loving words. In your careers, the opposite will be true. You will strive for uniqueness, and successes that no other can claim. You will avoid these same words because putting your mark upon your profession will be the ultimate goal.

Good luck graduates and thank you.”



299 Words

Flash Story Limited to 300 words, Must contain the line: "I knew you were going to say that"
© Copyright 2010 BScholl (the0hawk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1677668-Is-This-Thing-On-1st-Place