*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1678112-For-Them-1st-Place
Rated: E · Short Story · Family · #1678112
The Memorial Day parade held special significance to some...
The Memorial Day parade wound through the streets in my hometown. Two police cars lead with a four-person flag corps dressed in camouflage, five humvees, and the high school band followed providing the marching beat.

The parade snaked to the cemetery where one humvee unloaded honor guards -- seven brandishing rifles, two with bugles, and a commander. The ceremony began with a 21 gun salute, the playing of "Taps", and a stand at attention while the band played the national anthem.

That’s when I noticed them. A six year old girl, holding hands with her mother. The mother’s eyes bubbled with tears and fell upon the cut grass and their entwined hands. The child’s eyes fixed upon a bouquet of yellow flowers in her other hand.

After several handshakes for another year’s observance complete, everyone dispersed, except the mother and child. The girl pulled on her mother’s arm and they weaved between several headstones to stand before a shiny one with fresh dirt.

At first, they both stared at the etched name. Then the lady ran her fingers over its smooth granite top while the girl placed the bouquet at its base. The mother shook with grief and sobbed as she rested her forehead on the stone. She remained statue still for several minutes while the little girl played with one of the flower petals. Finally, the woman pulled a small box from her purse, and laid it next to the flowers. They hugged and walked away.

My eyes fixed upon the stone, I ambled through the graves and peered at the open box containing a baby spoon, hair barrette, puzzle piece, and locket.

“Amy and I would play puzzles for hours.” I said. I attempted to pick up the box, but my hands went right through it.



299 Words
Flash Story Must contain: Spoon, Puzzle, Yellow
© Copyright 2010 BScholl (the0hawk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1678112-For-Them-1st-Place