*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1678324-PARADOX----Chapter-64
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Action/Adventure · #1678324
Action/Adventure on the lines of National Treasure/Indiana Jones/& The DaVinci Code.
Chapter 64

May 7, 27 CE – Caesarea Martima – Judaea Province




“The least they could have done was get us closer to the damn town.” Carney’s face was covered with road dust and his feisty temper was getting the best of him. They had been traveling for two full days and well into the third. The land was mostly sand and rocks with an occasional scraggly bush. Initially they met few travelers, but the closer they got to their destination, more and more people started filling the ruts that served as a road.

Ariana smiled at his remark. “We are now past the foothills of Mount Carmel and if you take time to notice, you can even smell the sea.”

“I thought we were going to Caesar’s place?’ Carney asked. He was happy to have Ariana’s company. Most of the trip he had been surrounded by Kahn’s mercenary goons. Her smiling face and natural grace brightened up his day.

“Caesarea. It’s a large city, the civilian and military capital of Judaea Province and the official residence of the Roman procurators. At this point in time it probably has the largest population in Judaea. It’s a very modern city compared to local standards.”

Carney chuckled. “Reckon them Romans like their luxuries, being top dog and all.”

“The city was actually started by King Herod, who built his palace on a promontory jutting out into the sea, with a decorative pool and many amenities. The Romans brought in bath houses, theatres, Roman culture and of course, Roman law.”

Oddball, walking just behind them, joined in the conversation. “Man, I once read these Caramel Mountains were full of criminals and cut throats?”

“Carmel,” Ariana corrected. “Due to an abundance of vegetation on the sloped hillside, and many caves on the steeper side, Carmel is known as the home to many criminals. A large number of religious sects also inhabit this long mountain range and there are several well-established holy sites. The Romans do a good job of patrolling the roads so, I don’t think we’ll be bothered by bandits.”

Oddball chuckled. “Would be the last thing they ever do. Khan’s goons are packing some heavy heat, man.”

Ariana looked at him with a frown. She did not understand what he was saying.

“He means they have modern weapons.” Carney stated. “He forgets you weren’t raised as a flower child like him.”

“Flower child?” Ariana was still puzzled. She thought she knew the English language but obviously there were parts beyond her knowledge.

“American slang can be very difficult to understand.” Dorbec entered the conversation. “Unless you are raised in America or force fed American movies all your life, it is difficult to comprehend all their myriad vernaculars. Even the English who invented the absurd language can barely understand them.”

At that moment, they reached the summit of the mountains and Khan signaled for them to take a break. Spread out beneath them was the sprawling City of Caesarea, running from the lower slopes down to the blue Mediterranean Sea several miles in the distance.

The most impressive part of Caesarea was its harbor, Sebastos. At the time it was built in the first century BC, Sebastos Harbor ranked as the largest artificial harbor built in the open sea. King Herod built two moles, or breakwaters, between 22 and 15 BC, and he dedicated the city and harbor to Caesar (Sebastos is Greek for Augustus).

They could see a double aqueduct that brought water from springs at the foot of Mount Carmel, and in the distance theatres, public baths and other Roman architecture. A massive wall surrounded the city proper, but there were many mud and straw dwellings scattered beyond the protection of the walls.

“Doesn’t look any different than what we see on TV half the time,” Carney stated. “Only thing missing is vehicles.”

“Attire has changed little over the ages in this part of the world.” Dorbec pulled at the dusty wool tunic he wore. “When you see the Roman Legionnaires and officials, then you will notice the difference.”

An hour before noon they were well into the outskirts of the city. Sumptuous villas behind solid brick walls lined the road, outdoor theaters and beautiful gardens were everywhere, circuses, hundreds of white columnar temples, scores of bath houses, toga clad residents carried on slave powered platforms, and professional soldiers watching the crowds with squinted eyes and dour looks.

The sharp smell of sausages and garlic reminded them of their recent diet of bread and cold mutton, and a buzz of fierce activity from merchants, shopkeepers, blacksmiths, tavern keepers, and a throng of excited people filled the streets, painting a vivid portrait of ancient splendor.

Although the bustle and beauty of the city of Caesaria was spread all around them, the unmistakable evidence of its cruelty and barbaric nature was also present. Dozens of beggars swamped them as soon as they entered through the main gate. Thin starving children were everywhere, slaves, an ever-present cheap commodity, and raw human sewage lay in the gutters and alleyways along with discarded trash, clouds of flies, and the occasional body of a dead animal.

The smell was overpowering. Combined with the odor of garlic and olive oil, a hundred other odors fought for dominance. Chief among them was the acrid smell of urine and unwashed bodies. Although the Romans took pride in their baths, the tepidariums, unctuariums, calidariums, and frigidariums, it was obvious that the indigenous locals and nomadic people had yet to adopt and appreciate the cleanliness.

The further they progressed into the city the cleaner the streets became. Sewers took the place of open cesspools, mosaic walkways covered with marble colonnades became dominant, they noted that the majority of the population now wore Roman dress, shaved their faces, and cut and styled their hair in Roman fashion. Bath houses became more common as did temples dedicated to Roman gods and goddesses. Slaves, dressed in clean tunics of various colors, denoting they belonged to wealthy houses, clogged the streets on errands for their masters.

As they neared the praetorium of the financial procurator, a great hippodrome and amphitheater spread out to their left. There was also a gigantic complex of warehouses bordering the huge harbor. They finally halted in front of a marble columnar building with white stucco facing. Several alert guards stood sentry duty near a massive entranceway.

Doctor Dubenchiek signaled for them to halt and strode over to a well-dressed and important looking man. He talked with the man for a few moments then returned.

“This is the Prefect’s headquarters.” He pointed back over his shoulder at the huge building. “Brother Contadino will enter with me. The rest of you will remain outside. Once I have gained an audience with one of the Prefect’s administrators and received permission to conduct business in Judaea, we will leave immediately for Jerusalem. General Khan you will keep close tabs on our unwilling allies.”

Khan glared at Chester then opened his mouth to speak.

“No talking.” Dubenchiek reminded him. “And that goes for them too.” He pointed at Chester and his men.

They waited in the hot sun for what seemed like hours. Their hunger started to become apparent. Every time a food vendor passed with delicious smelling sausages or roasted chicken or some other edible delight, their stomachs growled in fierce complaint. However, not knowing the exchange value of the money they carried with them they were reluctant to approach the vendors.

Corpsman John Carney was the first to break the monotony. He kept a sharp eye on Khan and his five Brotherhood goons and as soon as none were watching closely, he cornered a vendor and held up a pair of small forceps from his medical bag. The merchant looked closely at the forceps then a wide grin spread across his greasy bearded face.

Carney pointed at the forceps; down at the sausages the man was hawking, then back at the forceps. The vendor finally grasped that he wanted to barter. He grabbed a large handful of sausages and held them up and cocked his head sideways. Carney smiled as if considering the bargain. The vendor held up another string of sausages and several small roasted chickens. Carney smiled and handed the forceps to the man who strode away gawking at the strange utensil.

Khan strode up and was about to grab Carney by the shoulder when Dorbec and Chester quickly forced their way between them. Dorbec offered Khan a sausage then smiled as he handed one to Ariana.

Upset, Khan threw the sausage to one of his men and grabbed one of the roasted chickens and strode several paces away. He started devouring the small bird, bones and all.

The food was delicious, although the sausages were on the spicy side and they were soon digging into their water skins and bottles.

Oddball had a distant look on his face and finally approached Chester. He leaned close to whisper something into Chester’s ear. As soon as he opened his mouth to speak, Khan bellowed ‘no’ without actually saying no.

“He’s got to relieve himself!” Chester spat back at Khan. Khan shook his head, denying him the opportunity.

“Those are relief stations over there.” Dorbec pointed at a circular building without a roof. Several men were obviously urinating inside because a number of urine streams could be seen splashing through grates in the floor. A partition covered the men from the knees to the chest so that only their lower calves and heads were visible. “We had them in France up until a few years ago. Some places still have them.”

Khan waved at two of his men to accompany Oddball to the pisseur. Lars and Claude started to join them but Khan waved them off with a finger. “One at a time,” he stated.

Half an hour later, a serious problem presented itself.

The vendor, who sold them the sausages and chickens, was talking with two men in togas. One of the men had a small purple stripe on the hem of his toga, which signified he was of senatorial rank. The vendor pointed to where they were standing and the two wealthy looking men approached them.

“I need to know where this came from?” One of the men said, holding up the forceps, which had been traded for their food. His Latin was very rapid and when no one replied, he switched to very poor Aramaic.

“He wants to know where the forceps came from.” Ariana spoke to Chester instead of Kahn. “I think we made a serious mistake. The forceps are made of stainless steel, a product that does not exist at this time in history. It wasn’t in general use until the twentieth century. If he gets a look into that bag and discovers the contents, we are in serious trouble.”

To compound the situation, a column of Roman soldiers marched quickly into view. By the look of the ornate and expensive litter being carried by four healthy, well-dressed slaves, they were escorting another person of considerable importance.

The two Roman toga clad men stood aside as the litter halted, then waved at the man climbing down.

Chester heard the name Pontius Pilate mentioned along with a laundry list of titles and accolades. His Latin was good, but the pronunciation was difficult to follow.

He rolled his eyes at Dorbec who had also heard the name mentioned. The man they called Pontius Pilate slowly approached them, followed closely by the two wealthy men. The Decurion of the twelve-man guard regarded them with cold suspicion.

“You were told to leave your medical bag behind.” Chester swore at Carney.

“A Corpsman never goes anywhere without his bag,” Carney angrily replied. “Besides, I did leave it behind, I just poured its contents into this goat skin bag I’m carrying.”

“Merde!” Dorbec spat.



© Copyright 2010 Oldwarrior (oldwarrior at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1678324-PARADOX----Chapter-64