*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1678483-The-Pain-Maker
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Reap
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Horror/Scary · #1678483
This is another story i wrote a few years ago.
Chapter One



A bad storm was brewing on the horizon, the worst storm to hit the small coastal town for a long, dry six months. The small skinny man looked grotesquely framed against the dark shadows that the clouds cast on the earth. He limped toward the dump site, bag in hand, picking up old cans and anything of interest to him. A funny little man with ears that should have been hidden away and a nose that leant too far to the left of his discolored face. His head was a mass of lumps and dimples, barren of hair. This hideous mistake of nature had no eyelids to cover his black eyes and no skull to protect the immature brain that lay pulsing beneath his thin scalp. The face of the man was a new one in this town. He had arrived here only yesterday with only the ripped shirt on his back and the filthy trousers glued to his dirt laden body.
Over the horizon the storm surged and forced itself closer to the sparsely populated town of Dodgeton. People began preparing for the storm, eagerly awaiting the cool raindrops. The white sheet of rain and lightening slowly and surely began its abuse on the small town, sending in gales of wind, hitting everything with a vengeance. Flying debris was all over the place. People who were unprepared for the onslaught were caught unaware. Yelling and screaming and running. The sight was almost comical, especially to one certain person who was watching from a small distance. The man at the dump site stood grinning grotesquely at the scene, which he found pleasurable.
Fidel Jonas, this was the name so given to the unsuitable vessel of a person. Fidel was a loner of course searching and aching for human suffering. Thriving on other peoples pain, not needing anything else to grow and quench his hunger and thirst. This horrific mistake was sent directly from the bowels of hell to wreak havoc on all unsuspecting creatures on earth.
Today was the day that the Randolph family was coming home from their yearly holiday. They had been on holiday for three weeks and had, had a terrific time camping on the beach front at Summers Bay, which is situated twenty miles north of Dodgeton. Jan Randolph, mother of two children, Billy aged four years and Crystal aged eleven was dozing in the front seat after reading almost all the way home. The children were colouring in the books their mother had bought for them before they left the beachfront. Sam Randolph who was driving their blue Olds Mobile, that he treasured as part of their family, was making certain not to do anything over forty miles per hour so as not to burden the cars motor.
As they neared the town the storm that had been raging had just passed. The road glistened from the water and the yards looked full of life as if the grass were soaking up every last droplet. They were amazed to see all the debris that had been flung over the town. It looked as if God had, had a tantrum and taken it out on them.
Jan was wide awake as they pulled into their driveway. “ Looks like we just missed all the fun. I can’t believe the mess. Must have been a bad one.”
“I’ll say, look at the yard. I wonder where all the rubbish came from.”
Sam stopped the car and got out. He opened the boot and began to unload their baggage. “I’ll unload then start cleaning this mess up. I wonder where everyone is. Seems pretty quiet for this time of day.
Jan unbuckled the children and sent them in the house to wash and have a snack. She helped her husband clean the mess and they decided to go for a walk to see what else had been destroyed in the unexpected storm. Their neighbours, who usually didn’t let anything pass them by without being in the middle of it, where no where to be seen. Neither was anyone else for that fact.
“This is just too weird, where the hell is everyone? There wasn’t anything happening in town tonight was there? When was the fete supposed to be on?” Same looked very concerned.
Jan knew the fete wasn’t on until next week, because that was why they had come home a week earlier than they planned. The children always looked forward to going to the fete. That was the biggest highlight of the year here. Every one went all out for the occasion.
“I don’t know Sam, this is really creeping me out. Let’s just get something for dinner from the grocery store. I haven’t done the shopping for this week remember.”
They walked toward the shopping center, but something wasn’t right. There weren’t any cars or trolleys in the car park. As they got closer they could tell that the shop was closed tight. No lights were on and it didn’t look like the shop had been open at all that day.
“Gee, everyone must be scared of water or they’ve deserted the town.” He exclaimed, grinning.
“I don’t think it’s funny Sam. What’s going on? Let’s go and have a look at the town hall, maybe they scheduled a meeting for cleanup allocation.”
As they headed toward the hall, they were unaware of the black eyes focused on them. Fidel, who had recently been having so much fun sucking in the fear of the towns’ people, was sated at the moment. He eyed the Randolph family with much interest. Knowing that they would be his also before too long. There was no hurry, he had time, and he could last for weeks on the feeding he had just had. First he’d play a little and then he would make them suffer one by one. The pleasure was too much for him to handle. He let out a loud howl and scurried back to the dumpsite where he had taken up residence for the time being. He wouldn’t need a permanent address, as he would be gone when there was nothing left for him.
“What the hell was that? There must be an injured animal somewhere. Perhaps a dog was hurt in the storm.” Said Sam.
“Look over there, I think I see someone. Quick, come on, let’s take a look.” Jan grabbed Sam by the elbow and tried to hurry him in the direction of Clancy Park, which was opposite the town hall. Sam could see someone walking in the park. They were walking very slowly, head down. As they neared the person Sam yelled out to them. “Hey there, boy, are we glad to see you. We thought everyone had run off.”
Sam grabbed the mans arm and turned him around. He gasped in shock at the sight of the mans face.
Sam recognized the man as George Benson, an electrician who lived three doors away from them. “My God George, what’s happened to your face? You look dreadful.”
George Benson looked like he hadn’t slept in a month. His eyes were ringed with purple blotches, his skin was gray and his clothing was tattered. George tried to open his mouth. It looked to Sam like he was grimacing in agony.
“Uhhh, wha…, I wa…..” George couldn’t seem to get the words out. It was almost as if he were mentally retarded. If they hadn’t known him for so long they would have thought just that.
Sam let go of Georges arm and stood looking after him as he continued on his slow way. “What the hell is wrong with him? I don’t know what happened to this town while we were away, but I’m glad we weren’t here for it.”
“Sam, can we just go and find someone please? It’s getting really late and the kids are tired from the drive.”
“Ok honey, we’ll have a look at the hall, and if there isn’t any one there we’ll go home. Maybe everyone else is home by now.” But he didn’t sound very convinced to Jan.
They didn’t find any one at the hall or on the way home. George was gone from the park now, so they thought he must have gone home also.
“Maybe he had too much to drink?” Said Jan
“Yeah, well we’ll see tomorrow, but right now it’s getting dark so let’s go home.” Sam sounded weary and his shoulders were slumped.
They couldn’t see any lights on in any of their neighbours’ homes on the way. The street lights were on, but then they were set on a timer. Their yard was shadowed, but you could still tell it was the only one that had been cleaned up after the storm.
“Hold it a minute, I think I saw someone looking out of that window. Why are they sitting in the dark? I’ll knock on the door and find out if anything is wrong.” Sam said eagerly.
The house he approached belonged to an elderly couple by the names of Edna and Bob Davis. They were close to retirement age but have never in the whole time the Randolph family had known them, ever gone to bed at sunset. No one opened the door, but Sam was sure he heard noises coming from inside.
“Bob are you there?” He yelled, but still there was no answer. He tried the door knob and it was unlocked. He motioned to Jan that he was going to go in and then was gone.
“Hello, Bob, Edna, are you here? It’s Sam Randolph, we’ve just come home from camping and I thought I’d say hi and make sure you were both o.k.” No answer. Just as he was about to enter the living room he saw movement out of the corner of his eye. Standing not sex feet away from him, hunched over, arms’ hanging limply at his sides was Bob Davis.
“Hey there Bob, you scared me. I called out, then noticed the door was open, hope you don’t mind.” Sam felt uncomfortable in the silence. Bob made a shuffling attempt to move forward, then stopped and raised his head slightly. Sam gasped in shock. Even in the gloom of the dark house he could see that Bobs’ face looked just like Georges’ had.
Bob tried to speak in the same grotesque way that George had. “Sam….hel…..meeeeee…I don…..” and that was all he could seem to manage before slumping over again.
“Bob, I’ll turn on the light for you, hold on.” Sam found the switch and clicked it on. Bob looked even worse in the light. “Where is Edna, Bob? Is she here with you? Are you feeling ill?” Bob who was trying very hard to respond began to drool instead. Sam decided he had better call Jan in to help and then find Edna.
“Just hold on a minute Bob, I’ll get Jan.” He rushed to the front door to find Jan sitting on the stairs waiting for him. The children were sitting on the grass.
“Jan I think we really need to help old Bob, I think he may have had a stroke or something.” Sam was very concerned at this point.
“Oh my God. Kids you come and sit at the kitchen table while your father and I help Mr Davis. We’ll go home as soon as we can.”
They seated the children and then both entered the living room. Bob was no longer standing there. Instead he was shuffling around the room in small circles, moaning and gurgling to himself. Jan gasped loudly at the sight of the old man.
“Sam you had better call an ambulance, I think he has had a stroke, he looks like death. Where is Edna?” Jan was frantically looking around for the old lady. Jan walked into the master bedroom to see if maybe Edna was asleep, but no one was there. The room was a mess, Some one had thrown clothing all over the floor.
While Jan searched the house for Edna, Sam struggled to get Bob seated on the sofa. The old man was like a dead weight, and he certainly was not a small man. Finally after much grunting and straining Bob lie on the sofa, tongue lolling to the left, saliva dripping.
Sam dialled the ambulance and waited until the phone rang out, and then tried again. No one answered. He dialled the police and had the same outcome. Not knowing what else to do he went in search of Jan to see if she had any luck with Edna.
“Good god Sam, hurry, I’ve found her. She’s in the bathroom. I think she’s dead.” Jan was screeching at the top of her lungs. When Sam reached her she was sobbing uncontrollably.
“Oh no, she must have fallen and hit her head in the bath tub. Did you check her pulse?” Asked Sam gently.
“Yyyes, I couldn’t feel any, and she isn’t breathing. She feels so cold Sam. What the hell is happening? I don’t think I can take much more of this.” Jan was shaking in fear and shock.
“Is the ambulance on its way? Shouldn’t they be here by now? Their not that far away.” She said.
“I couldn’t get them on the phone. I even tried the police station, but they didn’t answer either. One of us will have to go and get the car. We’ll have to drive Bob to the hospital our selves. I’ll check on him and then I’ll go get the car. You go to the children. They will probably be scared from all the commotion.” Sam was the strong one of the two, and usually stood up to bad situations much better than Jan. That was one of the things she loved about him, his ability to keep his head at all times.
Sam seemed to be taking an awfully long time getting the car. Jan stood at the door waiting to see the cars headlights coming from their driveway. They didn’t appear. Sam appeared though, out of breath, panting heavily. “You won’t believe this but the darn car won’t start. I don’t know what’s up with it, but I don’t have time to fiddle around with it. It’s never let us down before, I don’t get it. Better get Bobs car keys and take his car.  I’m sure he won’t mind given the circumstances.”
Keys in hand Sam went to the garage and set about starting Bobs beat up Ute. It didn’t even turn over. Not so much as a wheeze came from the motor.
“Fuck it, now what?” Sam did swear at times like these, even if he remained calm.
He went in the house to pass on the bad news. Jan began to cry loudly again and had to leave the room as to not upset the children who were not happy either. They were tired and cranky and wanted dinner.
“Daddy, why are we here? Can’t we go home now? I’m hungry.” Complained Crystal.
“Yeah me too daddy.” Joined in Billy.
“Mummy will take you home very soon. I’ll just go and get her. Hang on another little minute for me ok?” He knew it wasn’t fair on the children to have to be amidst this nightmare. He found Jan sitting on the sofa opposite Bob, staring at him. She looked very frail, like a child.
“How’s he doing love?” Coaxed Sam.
“The same I think. He seems to be sleeping. His pulse is steady and his breathing is normal. I don’t know what else we can do.” She sounded so small at that moment that his heart ached for her.
“You take the kids home and I’ll try to find some help from one of the neighbours.  I’ll let you know before I go to the hospital.” He kissed her and then headed to find help.
Jan was glad to be in her home doing something normal. Since they had come home, things had been far from normal. She felt deflated and over spent. The children had been fed and bathed and were now snug in their beds. Jan decided to have a shower herself. The water was relaxing flowing down her back. She stayed in there for almost ten minutes, trying to forget the horrors of this afternoon. It wasn’t easy to forget, how often do u find a neighbour dead?
The children were sleeping soundly when she checked them after she had dressed. Sam had not returned yet so she opened the door to see if he was in sight. She saw him jogging along the footpath toward her, alone. His expression when he neared her was not good.
I…couldn’t…find…anyone.” He gasped between breaths.
Did you try every house in the street?” Asked Jan.
“Sure did, I even went in to a couple of homes, but no one was there. The funny thing is though that all of the houses that were unlocked and empty were totally messed up. Clothing and books everywhere, like someone was looking for something, or fighting someone off.” He had regained his breath now and was talking very fast.
“I’m going back to check on Bob. Be back soon, I promise.” He kissed her briefly and was gone yet again into the darkness of the shrubbery.
Jan went to the kitchen to make a pot of tea and snack for them both, and then settled on the sofa to wait for Sam to return.
She must have dozed off, for she was awakened by a sound. It was Sam opening the front door with his key. He entered the living room looking tired. “I think Bob is OK for the time being. I think it best if we just wait until the morning to do anything else. I’ve settled Bob in the bedroom. He doesn’t seem to be any worse and I’ve done what I can with Edna’s body. I even tried the ambulance and the police again, but there’s still no answer. The line out of town is down, so I couldn’t reach the hospital either.”
The hospital was in the next town, which was ten miles from Dodgeton. The town of Glasbury was twice the size of Dodgeton and had twice as many shops and people of course. Perhaps in the morning they could find a way to get there. The lines may even be fixed by then.


The storm was no accident, neither was the death of the woman. He had planned all of the events that had transpired over the last twelve hours. That was his job. He was made to do this work. He loved his work, more than anything else. It made him happy, and it was crucial for his survival. There had been other accidents around town too. But the man hadn’t found any of them yet. He had come close though. Tomorrow would be so much fun for Fidel. All of his master minded work of today would be out in the open daylight. Oh, what pleasure it will be to hear the woman screaming and sobbing when she stumbled on the fruits of his labour.
Fidel had never in his whole life had as much fun as he did today. He didn’t know that a family had escaped his game, but that made it all the more exciting for him. The real fun and games were yet to begin and begin they would. He was sure he was the luckiest of creatures on this earth. His master had told him so too. He had been promised so much when he accomplished what he was sent to do. But he still had time to enjoy himself of course.
Ah, the little ones. They would be an added treat for him. It wouldn’t take much thought; they were usually weaker and easier to defeat than the bigger ones. He would leave them until last, that way no one would disturb him. He would plan his strategy tonight while they slept. Unknowing that the day would be worse than the night.


                                                      Chapter two


The sun was brighter than Jan had ever remembered it being. Positive that everything would be back to its normal state with the dawn of the new day, Jan went about preparing breakfast for her family. Sam had gotten up earlier this morning to check on Bobs well being but hadn’t as yet returned. He’d been gone for almost an hour now. Jan thought that he must have come across one of their neighbours, or perhaps Bob was not as bad today. There was still the issue of poor Edna’s accident. They’d have to get the police out there this morning.
Before long the children were eating breakfast and chatting away like any other day.
“These muffins are yummy mummy.” Sang Crystal.
“Mmmmm yummy mummy.” Joined in Billy.
“Well thank you my little cherubs. Do you want another glass of juice?” Jan was glad last night had, had no ill effects on the children. Billy would not have understood anything that had happened, but Crystal might. Luckily so far she hadn’t brought the subject up.
“I want more mummy.” Replied Billy.
“You have to say please to mummy, Billy.” Urged Crystal. She was always correcting Billy on his manners.
“Please mummy.” Said Billy.
“Absolutely.” Jan poured some juice into his glass then went to have another look out the kitchen window.
She didn’t see any one out there. Well, it was only seven am. Perhaps, she thought, everyone may have been at a shelter the night before. That would explain the absence of their neighbours.  Of course, that must be it. She was so relieved to have finally figured the situation out. Edna must have fallen rushing in preparation to leave. Bob must have found her in the bathroom and gone into shock.
Jan told Crystal to watch over Billy for a few minutes while she went over to Bobs. Surely he was better today, how long did shock last anyway? On the way along the footpath Jan noticed that something was not right. Although the day was bright and sunny the houses seemed to be masked in a dreadful gloom. They looked almost haunting to her, beckoning to her, taunting her to enter. She walked faster, head down so as not to notice their teasing existence. When she entered Bob’s yard she was aware of the stillness. There were no birds singing in the trees surrounding his home. She then realized she hadn’t heard any animals at all. No dogs barking as she walked along the footpath. Well perhaps they had been put into shelters also. She wondered when everyone would return. It was nearly eight am now, surely. Wouldn’t they be eager to check if their homes were damaged?
The door was open so she walked in calling to Sam and Bob. No sound greeted her. She walked through to the bedroom where Sam had said he left Bob the night before. The room was empty except for the mess of strewn clothing that greeted them the last evening. Sam must have taken him to the hospital after all. He must not had gotten a chance to let her know first.
Bobs Ute was still in the garage so they must have gone with one of the other neighbours. Well at least that meant that people were coming back to their homes, right? She decided to go back home and do the washing they had brought back from holidays with them. Sam would surely not be too much longer.
She avoided looking at the houses on her way back home. Perhaps it was all in her mind but she didn’t want to make sure.
The children were dressed and playing in Billy’s room. Crystal was helping him put together one of his wooden puzzles he had gotten for his birthday. Jan had a quick cup of tea and set about doing the laundry. The laundry was hung out and it was going on to ten am, but Sam hadn’t returned or phoned. She went to the phone to call the hospital and ask if they had arrived there. The phone line out of town was still down. Maybe she should see if the car would run this morning and drive there. Sitting here wasn’t helping calm her.
She loaded the children into the Olds Mobile and turned it over. The car started first go. It must have been over heated from the drive last night, although that had never happened before even if it was an old car. She wondered why Sam hadn’t tried the car this morning instead of asking a neighbour. She reversed out of the drive way and slowly made her way down the road. She turned on to the next block heading for the main street, which would take them towards Glasbury and the hospital. But, before they got much further, Crystal yelled out.
“Mummy, there’s daddy, I just saw him go into that house.” She sounded so positive that Jan could not dismiss it as a mistake.
“Are you sure honey? We’d better stop then and see what he’s doing” Jan replied.
Jan pulled the car into the driveway of the house Crystal had pointed to. She told the kids to wait there while she went in to check. She knocked on the door and waited for someone to answer.
“Hello, any one here? The door was open. Sam, are you there? Sam, its Jan, are you there?”  She was starting to feel a panic rising from deep within here. Inside the house felt cold and uninviting. The weather outside was dry and hot, but in here it was like being inside a clammy, damp cave. She half expected to be greeted by bats.
Jan walked from room to room calling for anyone to answer. The house appeared to be empty; it was also a mess, just like the others they had seen. She continued to the back door. The door was open wide and she thought she saw a shadow pass by the bottom step.
“Hi, I didn’t think any one was here for a minute.” She said, relief flooding her. She walked on to where she had seen the shadow and saw someone standing there. They didn’t answer thought and she was beginning to think this person was particularly rude. It wasn’t until she was closer that she realised it was a man, or at least that’s what she thought. She didn’t know him though; he was a stranger to her. He was skinny and short and now that she could get a better look, he seemed deformed.
“Umm, I thought my husband was here….I guess I was mistaken. I better go.” She turned to leave just as the little man let out a shriek that almost deafened her. He lunged at her and missed, she was already half way up the stairway. Screaming, she ran back through the house at full speed dodging upended furniture and scattered clothing as she went. Close behind her the deformed body of the ugly being was changing.
“Jan, what are you doing here?” He asked quietly.
Jan stopped instantly as she recognized the voice of her husband.
“Oh Sam, I’m so glad to see you.” She ran to him and flung her arms tightly around his neck. She began to weep softly. “We have to get out of here, now! There’s something out there, it chased me.” She sobbed.
“It’s ok, I’m here now. Let’s go home.” He said calmly.
When they were seated in the car and on their way home Jan spoke.  “What were you doing in that house? Why didn’t you answer when I called for you? I looked everywhere in that place but I couldn’t find you. How come Sam?” She had begun to sound hysterical by this time. She knew some thing was very wrong, he would never do that to her intentionally. So why had he? Where had he been the whole time? Why hadn’t he heard her and she would have seen him wouldn’t she? Why hadn’t he asked her why she screamed?
“Uh, Sam? Did you take Bob to the hospital?” She asked softly.
“Of course I did, honey. He’s going to be fine now, don’t worry about it. Everything is going to be just fine now.” He crooned.
“What do you mean Sam?” Jan didn’t know why, but she knew something was wrong with Sam. He was not acting normal.
“I’ll explain it all to you when we get home.” He seemed to be grinning much too widely at that moment. Considering everything that had been happening, why was he so happy?
“I think w need to go to the supermarket first, we really need to get some food and fuel. We could just go into Glasbury anyway and get some. She began to slow down and turn the car the other way when Sam grabbed the steering wheel. She fought with him, fishtailing the car across the road and back. The grin on his face now looked ridiculous, how was his face able to stretch so much.
“Sam, what are you doing?” Let go of the wheel. You’re scaring the kids and me.” She begged him, but he didn’t stop. In the back seat the children screamed and sobbed loudly.
“Come on now Jan; let’s just go home shall we? I have so much planned for us.” He sounded so pathetic, and was looking even worse every second. She noticed he was not wearing his seat belt so she slammed on the brakes flinging him into the windshield. He looked like he was knocked out, this gave her enough time to get the kids out of the car and run for the nearest house.
She led the children, who were still sobbing, into a new style home on the roadside. The door as she suspected was unlocked. She pulled the children inside and shut the door locking it. She hid the children behind a sofa bed, and then looked out the window at the car. Sam was gone. She tried to calm Crystal down who was crying loudly still.
“Mummy, what happened to daddy? What if he’s hurt out there? Shouldn’t we go and help him?” She tried to wriggle out of her mothers’ firm hold.
“Please stay still Crystal. I don’t think daddy is feeling right. I think he may be sick. He tried to hurt me, and daddy would never do that if he wasn’t sick.” She hoped that sounded convincing enough, but she doubted it. She didn’t know what was happening to her family. She didn’t know what had happened to Sam. She only knew that, that was not her Sam.
How long could they stay in this house? She was sure that who ever that was in Sams’ body, he would be waiting for them out there. She told the kids to stay there and not make any sound while she had a look around the house. Just like the others this one was also a mess. It was as if someone had ransacked the whole town and stolen all of the people. She walked from room to room checking the windows and looking for anything she could use to defend them if need be.
One of the bedroom doors were shut so she opened it slowly expecting to find someone in there. She did find some one, but that someone was way beyond being of any help to her. She stifled a scream so as not to alarm the children or draw unwanted attention to her where abouts. The woman was face down on the bed, nightgown ripped almost off her body. By the state of her hair and bed sheets, she probably never made it out of bed before she was attacked. Trying not to gag, Jan turned the body over slightly to check for fatal injuries. It woman appeared to be in her early thirties and Jan did not know her but had seen her in the supermarket before. The woman and her husband had only been in town for a month.
There were marks on the woman’s’ throat, which implied she had been strangled. Did her husband do this to her? Where was he anyway? Jan was numb with fear and dread for her children and herself. In a sudden panic she rushed out of the room to her children. They were gone.
“Crystal, Billy where are you?” She yelled, frantic and shaking.
“We’re in the kitchen mummy. Billy wanted a drink of water.” Said Crystal.
Jan ran to them crying. She thought they had been taken from her. She vowed to never let them out of her sight again.
“Oh, my babies, I thought you had gone outside. You have to promise me you’ll do exactly what I say from now on, ok? I don’t want anything to happen to you, I love you both so much.” She was squeezing them relieved they were ok. The big problem now was getting out of here, but how? Where was her Sam?
She took the children by the hand with her to check out the windows. She didn’t see anyone. But that didn’t mean anything. Hadn’t that strange little man she thought was her Sam appear out of no where? How was she going to get her children to safety? Before even trying to move, she needed to get some food for the children to keep them going. She was getting out of this town even if it meant they had to walk to Glasbury.
She found a backpack and stocked it with fruit, bread rolls and bottled water. She also grabbed a flashlight from the pantry. It was in working order although not as bright as it could have been. She also grabbed a box of matched and anything else she thought useful, making sure to not over load the pack. She wanted to be able to move quickly and quietly if possible. She didn’t know who the ugly little man was, but she was sure this all had something to do with him. She had never seen anyone so grotesque before. Surely he was not human, especially when he could screech like a wild beast.
“Ok, now we are going to go out the back door and run as fast as we can up the road toward the highway. I’ll carry Billy, so Crystal you must promise to run with me as fast as you can no matter what or who you see. Do you understand sweetie?” She spoke calmly and softly to them.
“Yes mummy, I promise. Where are we going?” Asked Crystal.
“We have to leave the town because some very bad things have been happening here, ok?” She explained. “Does anyone have to use the bathroom first?” She thought it best for them all to try anyway, just in case. “Hold my hand Crystal, we’re going now.” Crystal held on tightly to her hand while Billy clung to her hip. Then they left the house at a quick pace.
They had run about fifty meters when Jan saw him. The ugly little creature was waiting on the footpath just ahead of them. She kept up their pace determined to just ignore him and hope they could make it passed. But that of course did not happen. He began to laugh at her, taunting her.
“What do you want from us?” She screamed.
“I want your soul of course. I think it’s time I took it from you.” He scorned at her, greed in his black eyes.
“You stay away from us. Where is my husband? What have you done to him?” She spat the questions at him, shaking the whole time.
“Your husband had joined the others that were lucky enough to have been chosen. I can take you to him if you wish.” He stood in front of them, his body hanging, arms almost touching the ground, his head pulsating rapidly. Jan was nauseated by the sheer horror of him. The children clung to her crying loudly.
“What do you mean my husband is with the chosen ones? He was just with me. I don’t believe you.” She was trying to be strong for her children, but she had never been known to be a strong person her whole life.
No sooner had she said those words that she noticed the mans face begin to change shape. His body grew taller and straighter and he became someone familiar to her.
“Dear God, it was you. I knew my Sam would never try to hurt me. What the hell are you?” She stepped backwards almost falling with the weakness of shock.
“God no, Hell yes. I am Fidel, sucker of souls and feeder of fear. I have chosen you to be my next guest.” He was simply glowing with excitement. The horrid grimace stretching his mouth again. Sams face looked as deformed as the creature wearing it.
No he couldn’t be a demon from hell. Is that what he meant? Demons didn’t exist anyway. Jan almost fainted and had to compose herself quickly. She had to be strong, other wise they were finished.
“Did you harm Sam? Is that what you are saying? Tell me where he is right now!” She screeched at him.
“I can take you to him, right now. Come with me.” He was grinning greedily at her. Looking from one child to the other, satisfaction on his tormented face. Sams face, but not Sams face.  He turned sideways and waved for them to follow him.  Jan was reluctant at first, but could not resist the strong bond to her husband. What if he was alive and waiting for her to help him and she didn’t. He would be doomed and she would blame herself for not being brave enough. Wouldn’t he do all he could for her and the children. She followed him, at a distance though. She didn’t trust the ghoul and didn’t want to be in arms reach of him. After all he might be leading her to a trap, but she had to know.
Billy clung tightly to her neck while Crystal squeezed her mothers’ hand as hard as she could, scared of being separated from her. The ugly man led them to the Council Hall, opened the big doors and went in first urging them to follow him in. Jan peered into the large room. It was shrouded in darkness, although it was light out. She could here muffled voices and shuffling sounds. That was what convinced her to enter all the way into the room. She regretted it immediately. As her eyes became adjusted to the darkness she could see heaps of crouched figures she knew were the towns’ people. They shuffled about the room not going anywhere but around and around. The she saw one person she recognised above all of the others. This person was her husband Sam. He stood to the left of her, slowly but surely making his way toward her. Saliva dripping from his crusted mouth, arms outstretched toward her. She knew this was her Sam, the Sam she loved so much. The scream that escaped her lips was like that of a wounded beast. This of course pleased the ugly little man, who had taken his own form again. He limped toward her as she slumped to the ground in shock. The children screamed and begged for her to get up. All she could see were the dead faces of the people before her and the face of Sam, black and hollow.
Jan knew she was letting her children and herself down. She should have known this pathetic would not and could not tell the truth. She felt herself drifting from sanity. She fought hard to stay focused for her childrens sake. She realized now as she clung to hang on to reality that this was how he had claimed possession of the towns people. He had put them in a position of personal trauma. Bobs trauma was the death of his wife. That would explain some of the bodies she had come across. He must thrive on the pain of others and expel their very essence when he had weakened them. How had he gotten Sam? He was the strongest person she knew. What personal torment could he have used on him? Well he was not getting her or her children. She would stop him if it took all she had.  He could not do this to anyone else anywhere else.
Jan heard the gleeful laughter of Fidel as she snapped her self back from his grasp. Suddenly he gasped as he realized she had not given in to him.  He stumbled back wards as she rose from the ground, a scowl of anger and hate on her face. She collected the children and backed toward the door. Fidel stared at her in amazement. He had lost her, only because she had found the secret to his power. He would not be able to get her now.
“How did you trick my husband? He would never give up like that so easily.” She spat at him.
“Oh, I knew his weakness for his family and I used it. I can do anything, until now of course. How did you escape me?” He asked.
“You underestimated the love a mother has for her children. I would never let them down if it were in my power. Your mistake was not knowing the meaning and power of love, and how it can be used against any evil. Especially a mother’s love. Did you even have a mother? Who could give birth to something as hideous and fowl as you? I’m going to send you straight back to the bowels of hell which you came from.”
Jan reached into the backpack and took out the box of matches. Because of the rubbish strewn across the floor it came to life quickly with flames. She stayed long enough to see the flames engulf Fidel. He howled like an animal caught in a trap. Before she could see Sam and the others be covered in flames she leapt out of the door and closed it tight. She watched as every last bit of the building burnt until there was nothing but writhing flames and smoke. Only then was she satisfied that the ordeal was finally over.
“Come on kids, let’s go and find some real people.” She said in a strong voice. Having survived this ordeal she knew she would be able to take on anything life had to throw at her from now on. She turned from the burning building with her two children in her arms and walked in the direction of the highway.


Some where not so far away in the next town a little shriveled man was sulking at the outcome of his failed mission. He would have to try a different approach in this time if he was to truly succeed. Smiling slightly he limped in the direction of the local dump.









© Copyright 2010 Reap (the_reap at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1678483-The-Pain-Maker