*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1690023-PARADOX---Chapter-87
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Action/Adventure · #1690023
An Action/Adventure story similar to Indiana Jones & National Treasure.
Chapter 87

May 23, 2012 – Kirtland Air Force base, New Mexico




“It’s working!” Megan’s shout was so loud the entire room fell into silence. “The world-wide media is now reporting almost word for word the information we sent to them. The public is aware of the danger and treachery on the part of their leaders and demanding that action be taken.”

Everyone in the room started clapping their hands. Megan stood and bowed, then put her finger to her lips for silence. “I do not accept credit for this, it was The Geek who set things up and Lt. Beartalker who suggested what data to feed them. All I did was twist a few arms and kick a few butts here and there.”

“What about a military response?” One of the logistics officers asked.

“No more attacks from the Nazis,” Megan grinned. “All the shields have been delivered to the Carrier Strike Forces and to several large air bases where all our land based fighters have been concentrated. Some have also been sent overseas to major air bases. That’s all we have so far.”

A female noncommissioned officer stood and asked, “Is there any word on the capital?”

“Not good news.” Megan sat down and wiped her forehead. “No good news anywhere on the political front. Ninety five percent of our representatives and senators were killed, a figure that carries over to most other major nations. In D.C. a large percentage of the cabinet support personnel are gone, those civilians behind the scenes who actually do the work. Our government is in complete chaos. Even the Supreme Court members, who were meeting in session, are dead.”

“Who’s running the country?” An officer asked.

“I am!” General Jones stated from the doorway. “The Joint Chiefs decided to declare nation-wide martial law. They put me in charge until credible civilian authorities can be found and sworn into office.”

Everyone stood and started clapping their hands again.

“None of that happy clappy crap,” General Jones growled as he entered the room. “We’ve got work to do.”

“That’s what we love about you General.” Megan stuck her tongue out at him. “You’re a big lovable teddy bear with a face like bigfoot.”

General Jones could not stifle a huge grin. “Well, bigfoot has a lot to get done, boys and girls, and he can’t do it all by himself. I came here to give everyone the word from the Joint Chiefs. A lot of our countrymen have been murdered by these Nazi bastards, but I want everyone to remember that it is, once again, a select group of criminals who ordered the destruction. I have talked with Marta, whom you all know, and she tells us that most of her people do not know what is going on. Our fight is with the guilty ones, not the innocent. Remember that!” He turned to Megan. “I need you and Lt. Beartalker in the conference room ASAP”

As they entered the large conference room, Megan noticed the entire Team was there, minus Monday and his people, and at least a dozen generals and admirals, many from foreign nations. Ariana stood and motioned her to an empty seat next to her. The past twenty-four hours had been grueling, with little sleep, too much coffee, and her throat was sore from constantly talking on the phone and on line.

General Jones took his position in the front of the room. Megan could tell that he had had little rest, probably no sleep at all, yet the man appeared energetic and full of spirit.

“Now that we have the world with us,” General Jones stated, pausing to search the faces at the table. “We are preparing a military response to the Nazi aggression. We know that we can take on the bastards in an aerial dogfight, and they know it too. That’s why they’re hitting our cities and political infrastructure. We have collected all potential political leaders and have taken them to safe bases with the help and speed of the Arianni air ships. We have also dispatched Airborne, Ranger, and Infantry regiments to each Arianni Base to assist in their defense. Colonel Schmidt will outline the response we have decided on.” General Jones took his seat, motioning for Chester to continue.

“During the last attack, several of our fighters shot down one of the Nazi aircraft,” Chester began. “Inside the aircraft they found one of the freeze bombs they used against us. Our scientists at Area 51 and Los Alamos, with assistance from the Arianni, have taken it apart and learned how to make our own freeze bomb. We will have at least five of them ready in the next forty-eight hours. We plan on using them against the Nazis.”

Ariana glanced across the table at Marta who sat next to Lars Udo Gabler, one of Dorbec’s two surviving men. They were becoming very close. Marta’s face was sad but her eyes radiated defiance.

“We will let it be known that we intend to use these bombs against the Nazi base on the far side of the moon,” Chester continued. “We all know that we do not have the technological precision to hit a target that far away in so short a time, but, the Nazis may fall for it and suspend their attacks until they are satisfied that we can’t do it.”

Marta’s face lit up a bit at this encouraging news.

“The bombs we make we will used for one purpose, and that is to strike at New Berlin Base.” Chester halted to survey the puzzled faces. “Before you say that we do not have the ability to reach New Berlin Base, let me say that we do. Our submarines are not capable, but by using Arianni airships, it can be done.”

“What about the base defenses?” Lt. Beartalker asked. “Can we possibly get around them?”

“According to the information Marta has given us, it will be difficult, but it can be done. The danger lies in using the shields around the airships for an extended period. Those inside the ships may be adversely affected.”

“Our paramount objective is to stop the Bell Project,” General Jones interrupted. “Each day that goes by the Earth is being effected. Weather patterns and ocean currents are already going crazy. If we do not stop this project, the Nazis win. If we do stop the Bell Project, we believe we can negotiate with the Nazis, because they know that the Arianni are assisting us and their technological edge is evaporating.”

“This may very well be a suicide mission.” Dorbec stood and looked around the table. “But I believe it’s our best chance, maybe our only chance, of stopping the Nazis and their Brotherhood traitors. That is why I and my men have volunteered to pilot one of the airships in the assault.”

“Not without me you don’t.” Ariana stood and looked into his face. “And before you come out with that macho male thingy, don’t forget I’m a better pilot than you are.”

“You’ve been taking lessons from Megan, haven’t you?” Dorbec grinned.

“I can’t think of a better role model,” Ariana smugly replied.

Chester was grinning along with the rest of them. The big bad Dorbec being put in his place was well worth seeing.

“I have a seat on one of the airships too!” Megan glanced around in defiance. “If the frosty bombs don’t work, you’ll need someone who may be able to defuse the Bell Project. That’s my final word and I’m locking it in!” She pounded the table with her palm.

“The ships will also be carrying conventional nuclear weapons,” Chester continued. “Regardless of objections or demands, a full Navy SEAL Team will be on each airship, and, I’m locking that in.” He slapped his palm with his hand.

“Monday will be upset that he and his Team are not part of this offensive,” Dorbec stated. “He has a score to settle with Hans.”

“If Doctor Stiehl and his Team make it back in time, he will be included in the assault,” General Jones replied. He did not say ‘if’ they got back. That was a word none of them wanted to even think about.



***

Meanwhile, at New Berlin Base, Hans was discussing plans for the invasion of the Arianni bases.

“We must take over these bases to prevent them from further assisting the surface governments,” Hans said, addressing scores of men and women sitting in a small arena type room. Among those in attendance were the prominent leaders of the world governments who were secret members of The Brotherhood. They had been evacuated to New Berlin Base before the Nazis attacked their capitals.

“It is my understanding that the Americans and their allies have dispatched combat forces to help protect the Arianni,” The Cardinal stated.

“They sent a regiment to each base,” Hans smirked. “We will send a division to each base to overpower them.”

“Why can’t we simply let the Bell Project do it’s work?” asked the American President. “Within three months time, the surface governments will no longer have the capability to stage a military response.”

“As a pacifist you do not understand the need for military action.” Hans looked sharply at the President. “How did you feel when you shot the Vice President point blank in the forehead?”

The President glanced around to gauge the atmosphere of the crowd. “It felt satisfying,” he finally replied. “The flag waving bastard deserved it. He knew I was slowly destroying the government and tearing down the constitution, but stayed by me because he enjoyed the power and limelight. He was a political dinosaur whose time was up. The surprised look on his face was incredible. The feeling of power was a mind rush.”

“Our military forces need to experience that feeling of power,” Hans returned. “They need it so that when we rule the earth, they will know how to act as conquerors, to know that they hold the power of life and death in their hands.”

“There’s a rumor that they intend to attack our moon base,” Admiral Samuel Hightower stated. “They have allegedly reverse engineered the weapon we used on their cities.”

“We have two thousand fighters protecting the moon base,” Hans smiled. “With the small number of Arianni airships at their disposal, it would be impossible for them to break through our triple security cordon.”

“We will launch our assault on the Arianni bases in forty-eight hours,” Hans continued. “If any of you brave politicians would like to accompany our heroic military personnel, you are welcome to do so. Unfortunately, I will be occupied here at New Berlin Base but will monitor their glorious activity.”

Hans scanned the large crowd of ex world leaders. Just as he thought, they were all cowards at heart. They had served their purpose. He needed to place patriotic Nazis in positions of power, not this pathetic self-serving scum. He had hoped for at least one or two brave volunteers.

The Cardinal, for instance, had a sharp mind and would be useful, but the man had betrayed him when he fell in with the Arianni against Hans’ orders. It was an obvious grab for power by the Cardinal. Too bad the Cardinal was not among those faithful present. Hans would find him some day and reap the benefits of his cunning mind.

“General Ludwig Keitel will be in shortly to brief you on evacuation plans to the moon base,” Hans stated. “He was recently promoted for the exceptional work he did on our first assault. Please remain seated.”

Hans quickly left the chambers. He noticed the smiles of relief and satisfaction on the faces of the world leaders as he nodded at the guards to secure the doors. The doors were powerful blast doors and could withstand tremendous pressure.

For several minutes, the leaders in the conference chamber continued to talk and make plans for their glorious futures. They bickered over which part of the world they would prefer to rule. The bickering died down when a cylindrical object rose up from the floor in the center of the chamber. On top of the cylinder, a glowing object was emitting an uncomfortable bright light. As they observed, the light folded open like the petals of a flower and tremendous cold started filling the room.

For a few moments, agonizing pain shot through their bodies. A few even noticed their fingers dropping off when they tried to move their hands. Several watched as arms and legs were frozen and others toppled over and shattered into thousands of pieces on the hard floor. Blindness overtook them when their eyeballs froze solid. The last thought they had was… betrayal!

Watching a monitor on the wall in his office, Hans chuckled. After several minutes he punched a button on the intercom. “As soon as the conference room returns to normal, please have someone empty the trash.”

He couldn’t help but laugh at his own humor.



© Copyright 2010 Oldwarrior (oldwarrior at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1690023-PARADOX---Chapter-87