*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1691432-Family-Circus-1st-Place
Rated: E · Short Story · Family · #1691432
Seth pleaded with his grandma to go to the circus.
“Tickets! Get your tickets here! Step right up and see the many wonders of the modern world. How about you son?”

“Sure. I’d love to go…” Seth started.

“No! We would not.” His grandmother Katherine asserted.

“But Grandma, I want to go to the circus.”

“Absolutely not, and that is final.” She threw a sharp, stern glance his way.

“But look Gramdma, all the boys in town are going. Can’t I go too? Pleeeease?” Seth’s eyes pleaded with his Grandma.

“I don’t think it’s a good idea. Your father just started another new job and he can’t afford to…”

“Grandma, I want you to take me.”

She looked down at those big brown eyes. Katherine sighed, and nodded.

“Goodie!”

“Two tickets please.” Katherine handed over the money.

They shuffled in the big tent and found a good spot in the bleachers four rows up. Boys climbed, hollered, and ran to and fro. The excitement built until the music stopped and the lights went dark. The audience fell silent. After thirty seconds a shadowy silhouette of a man strolled to the center ring. Suddenly, the ringmaster belted out the opening lines.

“Ladies and gentlemen. May I direct your attention to the two end rings where our circus clowns will perform.”

Clowns streamed from the makeshift tunnels at each end as they rode little cars, odd bicycles, and fanned out to make faces at the crowd. The audience burst into brief fits of laughter. One clown stood right before Katherine and Seth, an enormous plastic flower pinned to his tiny lapel. He sprayed the first couple of rows with water. Several boys cackled.

“That clown is so funny! He even looks like my Daddy.”

Katherine scrutinized the entertainer.

“You’re right. Well, at least it’s a job.”



300 Words
Flash Story Must contain: Sharp, Silent, Ticket
© Copyright 2010 BScholl (the0hawk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1691432-Family-Circus-1st-Place