*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1709979-Running-to-the-self
by Mohit
Rated: · Other · Experience · #1709979
My experience of running a half marathon.
Running to the self.

This time no front row posing, thanks to RFLers, they have introduced timing chips. All were set to explore the country side trail along Cauvery. But nervousness was in air and butterflies in stomach. And luckily there were bushes around to release all.

With the flag off began, the toughest known, Kaveri Trail Marathon. Famous for its scenic trail, very few knew of the micro environment of extreme humidity they were entering into. Smitten by the scenic beauty and having decided to enjoy the trail, I started casually. Nobody would have thawed out of this beauty have they not felt sweat drops draping from head to toe, and I was no different. The more we ran, the faster our lungs pumped and the more we sweat. It became arduous, amidst heavy breathing, to make out what the flowing Cauvery was playing for me. But for sure, I knew, she was trying to soothe me and remind me that felicity is in finishing the run. I had no strategies in mind. Just one thing, keeping pace with my friend Rajesh.

And this is how began my first half-marathon.

All seemed favourable in the beginning, no sun, no sweat and invigorating air around. Up and down, with pebbles here and there and soft mud all over, we were feeling well-heeled.

Very soon and very comfortably I reached the 9km mark.

I could remember the Saturday, at Run Club, when I heard ‘Appy’ and became joyous, only to realize it was ‘Up-hill’. Up-hill training is one where we learn to pace up on a hill. And here I was facing it now. The technique worked well, move your hands front and back and you pace up the hill.

Pacing up the steep slope I reached the U-turn, and had the first gulp of water at 10.9kms.

This was high time, as I have paced well with the best of other runners. As soon as I took U-turn, I heard ‘Come on Mohit, keep going !!’. To my surprise, I realized my bib has my name written on it. No doubt, RFLers are becoming smart with each passing year. I was fairing well till now, and thought of avoiding to stop at water stations to save time. But in course I dehydrated myself to the extreme. At around 14kms, this dehydration took over me and I slipped over a stone only to fall down. Got a badly bleeding knee, but the fellow runners encouraged me to run even after that. Finally I stopped at a med-station at 16km to clean the blood and apply savlon so as to avoid any infections. Here on I stopped at all the water stations and slowly neared to the finish line.

And this is how slowly, without letting my body to break down I finished my first half marathon in 02:00:30:550 hrs.

Such a tedious and tiring run it was,
Some were torn and some fell down
With blistered feets and burning nipples,
But nonetheless, all could forget
The race is done and the pleasure is theirs.


© Copyright 2010 Mohit (mohitsen at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1709979-Running-to-the-self