*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1747343-Uh-Oh-Its-Groundhogs-Day
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Writing.Com · #1747343
A writer finds himself in a serious case of Deja Vu.
Uh Oh! It’s Groundhog’s Day

"Rise and Shine Campers, it’s Groundhog’s Day!” I pushed the snooze button. I rolled out of bed, not being much of a morning person, looking at the clock. Six o’clock to be exact, great - still had the whole day to finish the story. My agent had insisted on meeting me in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania; thinking it was ironic that I had the same name as the groundhog from that movie.

I picked up my cell-phone and dialed his number. His answering machine came on, “This is Ned Ryerson leave your message and I’ll get back to you.”

“Ya, Ned it’s Phil just letting you know I’ll have that story finished by tomorrow  as promised, see ya soon.” I sat back down on the bed, turning on my laptop and began to write. The ending was near I could feel it in the tips of my fingers. But thoughts of the last conversation I had with Ned the day before kept roaming in my head. He spoke of a surprise which was why he had insisted on meeting in the first place. Ned wanted me to write a few short stories before publishing my first book.

The news had to be something about the novel, but he wouldn't budge and refused to give any details, and now he was avoiding me altogether. Oh well. I'll find out tomorrow, and this story was as good as finished anyways. Room service was a blessing as I remained in my room for the rest of the day. Finally, I finished rereading for the one thousandth time confident that it would be acceptable. It was just before midnight, with a yawn I tossed the laptop next to me on the bed and turned out the light.

“Rise and Shine Campers, it’s Groundhog’s Day!” As I slammed the snooze button.

“Morons are playing the same tape,” I told myself as I rolled out of bed. Picking up the phone, I pressed the redial button and got another answer machine.

“This is Ned Ryerson leave your message and I'll get back to you.” 

“Ned, it's Phil just letting you know the stories finished, I'll wait till you get here, bye.” I flipped open my laptop and went to my documents and clicked onto the story file. I reread the story until at the end, and realized it was gone. All the work from yesterday had disappeared, starting to panic, I tried to remain calm. Luckily the ending was still embedded in my brain. It took about half the day to finish. Ned hadn't arrived yet. Perhaps the weather had delayed his arrival, feeling tired I decided to take a short nap. I woke up to.

“Rise and Shine Campers, it's Groundhog's Day!” As I smashed the snooze button. Looking at the clock radio, it was six o'clock. Impossible! Had I really slept the rest of the day? Quickly getting out of bed. I called Ned. The machine came on once again, hanging up the phone. I opened my laptop revealing once again my work from the day before was gone.

White faced I put my robe on and rushed out of my room. I grabbed the cleaning lady by the shoulders as she was walking down the hall. “Quick what day is it?” She paused for a moment in confusion.

“Well it's Groundhog's Day of course."

I went back in my room an closed the door and slumped down, leaning my back on the door. This was no mere coincidence, three times I had awoken to the same radio broadcast and each time my story was still unfinished. This was more than mere déjà vu. I spent the rest of the day in silent contemplation.

One thousand years later.

I woke up and smashed the clock radio and threw it against the wall. I picked up the phone and chucked it into the corner of the tv that was against the wall across from the bed. I flung the laptop off the bed, and began to stomp it into a thousand microchips. The tv had turned on, The Punxsutawney news was on the channel.

“Good morning everyone, better bundle up out there, because it's gonna be a cold one today. Don't forget to come out an see if the groundhog sees his shadow at seven in the morning at Hobbler's Nob.”

Then it hit me like a ton of bricks, picking up the phone from the floor and pressing the speed dial. “Ned it's Phil, there's no way this winter is ever going to end as long as this groundhog keeps seeing his shadow. I don't see any other way out. He's got to be stopped, and I have to stop him.”

The next day at the Punxsutawney Police Department. Ned kept his head down, as the sheriff continued to explain the events that happened the day before. “I know, I know officer but it just doesn't make any sense. Suicide and kidnapping a groundhog, while driving off a cliff. I even told him I had a surprise, some really good news.” 

Ned pulled out the piece of paper he had been fondling in his pocket and unfolded it on the table. It was news that Phil was getting his first novel published. They had issued him a one hundred thousand dollar check as a sign on bonus.

"Here's the check to prove it!”

853 Word Count


GROUNDHOG DAY TRAILER
[Embed For Use By Upgraded+]

[Embed For Use By Upgraded+]

[Embed For Use By Upgraded+]
Anonymous Review

Cute story (in a dark way. lol). I like how you put your twist on it. I thought I was going to be reading a Bill Murray comedy for a minute. I was flash backed to the movie! It was good though. I felt the frustration and anticipation throughout as it grew, and then you had me ROFL with the ending. You're grammar is good too. I'm not going to pick it all apart, but it was an easy read and flowed nicely. Not bad at all for a "newbie"! Thank you for sharing it.


Happy Writing
© Copyright 2011 A.J.Caesar - Julius Caesar (a.j.caesar at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1747343-Uh-Oh-Its-Groundhogs-Day