*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1750791-Lesson-4---part-2
Rated: 13+ · Other · Other · #1750791
Additional Interview with Sage
Sage has an appointment with her counselor to go over her course work grades. She is a little late.

Sage: Hi Mrs. Keller. Am I late? (Sage sits down in a chair and begins pumping her right leg.)

Mrs. K: If you have to ask, then you must be. I was beginning to wonder if you were even here.

Sage: I’m sorry…I heard the bell ring and I had to go to my locker… (She dumps her book bag on the floor and a messy notebook spills out.) Oh, crap…sorry.

Mrs. K: Well, let’s just get started. We already lost ten minutes. I see from your records that you have a C average, although you do very well in English and Art. How do you think you might raise those other grades?

Sage: (Sage clasps her hands tightly in her lap.) Well, isn’t a C good? (She cocks her head to the right waiting for an answer.)

Mrs. K: Yes, but you are just passing algebra, and next semester there will be trigonometry. Do you feel prepared for that?

Sage: Do I have to take that? (Her eyebrows knit together.) Couldn’t I just take another science? (She begins patting her thighs with her hands and then looks at her watch.)

Mrs. K: You could do that, or you could go to summer school for additional math.

Sage: NO! I mean…isn’t there some other way?

Mrs. K: Would you agree to some tutoring during your study period, if we can work that out?

Sage: OK…I guess. How long would I have to do this? (She rubs her hands on her jeans to get rid of her sweaty palms.)

Mrs. K: At least until the next grading period, but depends on you.

Sage: Fine. Who would be the tutor?

Mrs. K: I’ll have to look into that. It could be another student, or a teacher's assistant, or Mr. Shultz.

Sage: I’d feel more comfortable with an teacher's assistant. (Her eyes plead with Mrs. Keller.)

Mrs. K: I’ll make a note of that, but I can’t promise…it depends on who is available. Why is this a concern of yours?

Sage: (She clasps her hands back together.) Because it would be embarrassing to have a student, and Mr. Shultz is just so scary.

The bell rings for the next class. Sage gathers her book bag.

Mrs. K: I’ll let you know in a few days what the schedule will be.

Sage: Thanks, I gotta go…so I won’t be late again. (Her eyes again plead with Mrs. Keller.) Make sure it's a teachers's assistant.

Mrs. K: (Exasperated) I'll do my best.





Sage interviews with a pet store manager.

Sage shoves through the door and hears the rattle of the overhanging bell. Someone squawks “Hello.” She looks around for the voice, but only hears the hum of a fish tank, a rustling of something scurrying, tweeting, and then again, “Hello.”


Sage – Hello (She turns her head from left to right)

Manager – Hi, can I help you?

Sage – Oh…there you are. I’ve come about the job…the sign in the window. (She thumbs toward the handwritten sign)

Manager – Yes, of course. Follow me and we can talk in my office.

“Hello…hello…hello”

Sage – (She frowns and then smiles) Ah…so you’re the one. Is that a parrot?

Manager – No, a macaw. That’s Ralphy Boy. Have a seat.

Sage - (She toes a box out of the way and brushes seed or crumbs off the seat) He’s beautiful. How much does he cost?

Manager – Oh…he’s not for sale. He’s my guard bird.

Sage – (Smile) That’s funny…a guard bird. (Laughs)

Manager – So…you want a job. What’s your name?

Sage – Sage Greene (She holds the cheerful smile, but knows it coming)

Manager – Like the color?

Sage – (She struggles not to eye roll and grits her teeth instead) Yeah, just like the color. (She sighs and looks up at the ceiling as she slumps back in the chair)

Manager – OK good. Well, I’m the manager and I’m looking for someone to come in and clean cages, feed the animals, replace stock, and handle some of the animals.

Sage – (Nods her head and starts chewing her gum really hard) Hmm…by handle the animals you mean like grab a bunny or kitty out and what? Put it on the floor?

Manager - Well there is that, but there are the snakes, mice, rats…


Sage – (She jumps up out of the chair) RATS! You sell rats? What the… (Sage starts shaking and looking around on the floor. She pulls at her hair and hops from one foot to the other.)

Manager – Relax…they’re only pet rats. Maybe this isn’t the right kind of job for you.

Sage – Dude! What sicko buys rats? There's free rats in the alley, you jackass. (Her eyes water up and she starts rubbing her arms) Get me out of here – NOW!

Manager - Butbutbut...you don't understand...

Macaw - “Hello…hello…hello”

Sage – Shut the hell up! (She almost trips over her own feet running to the exit)

Macaw - “Byebye…byebye…byebye”


© Copyright 2011 Endless Enigma (charmed1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1750791-Lesson-4---part-2