*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1762193-Dont-Let-Mold-Take-Root-in-Your-Home
Rated: E · Article · Home/Garden · #1762193
Take on the task of mold prevention with logic and moderation.
3 Ways to Prevent Mold From Taking Root in Your Home

There are thousands of species of mold. Some are helpful, some are a nuisance and some are deadly.  Most people know that penicillin is made from a component of mold, and even some cholesterol lowering drugs.  Cultured molds are used in the production of cheese, bread, beer and soy sauce.  However other molds contain mycotoxins that pose a serious health risk, especially to children and the elderly.  Molds that are harmful can start to grow in an environment that is the same temperature as the average refrigerator, and remain dormant before they die.  Although{varieties|kinds|species} of mold vary greatly in what levels of temperature and humidity they can survive in, certain ones can survive even acidic solvents and petroleum products.  The damage these molds can cause to your home could be catastrophic if not removed as soon as they are detected.  Here we will take a brief look at some ways to prevent mold from damaging your home and the health of those living there.

Humidity
Molds draw their moisture from the air alone, so try to control the humidity levels in your home.  If the levels reach anywhere close to 50% humidity, you have a great environment for mold to flourish.  Dust mites also thrive in humid atmospheres, and when they die their bodies feed the mold as well.  Dehumidification can be as easy as opening a window in each room for a few minutes each day, depending on the activity in the home.  If your family does a lot of cooking and there are more than two or three people living in the space, then your levels of humidity will be higher.  In this case you may need to purchase a dehumidifier.  Once you do your first treatment of dehumidifying, you may not need to have the machine set at such a high level all the time.  The build up has been removed, and now the dehumidifier can simply maintain moisture levels.  Having a good quality fan on a timer in the bathroom is very important.  The bathroom is a moist room, simply by nature.  Each time someone bathes, the humidity rises and the fan will help to get that moisture up and out of the home before it creates mold. 

Cold and damp basements are a prime place for mold to develop, especially if there have been floods in the past.  Before considering a dehumidifier for the basement, investigate the walls and floors for leaks – either current or evidence of past ones.  Clean and seal the concrete first to see if it makes a difference in humidity levels.  Make sure to address other areas where moisture, rain or snow can enter the space as well.

Ventilation
As mentioned under humidity, ventilation is important in preventing mold growth.  Keeping air pressure slightly higher forces moisture and contaminates out of the home.  However if there is no ventilation then the air pressure outside is higher and forces moisture into the home.  The best solution to either scenario is running the fan whenever you are cooking and for at least half an hour each time someone bathes.  Houses are never air tight, and nor should they be.  They need to breathe out the bad and bring in the good, just like we do.

Hygiene
There are more benefits to having a clean home than just mold prevention, but its a big one.  Simple things like taking garbage out of the house on a regular basis and cleaning out the fridge weekly are good steps towards preventing food-based molds.  Clean the bathroom once a week, launder towels and mats often, and toss old toiletries to avoid dust and mold build up.  Carpets can be a breeding ground for all sorts of bugs, especially if food or drinks get spilled.  Vacuuming often and cleaning the carpets annually are great ways to keep them bug free.  Although hardwood and laminate are less likely to spawn mold, any substances that accumulate on them will begin the process.  So wash the floors often.  Children's toys are often forgotten when thinking about mold prevention. Consider how common it is for your child to munch on a cracker or cheerios while playing.  The food gets on the toys, is left there and mold bacteria can develop.  Wiping down the toys regularly will prevent the growth. 

When we become aware of how simple it is for mold to grow in our homes, it is easy to become hypersensitive to dirt and dust.  Remember there is some bacteria that is healthy, and if we were not exposed to it on a regular basis every little bug that came our way would make us ill.  Take on the task of mold prevention with logic and moderation.  If you are not sure where the boundaries are, ask a professional to come in and help you assess the home.  Chances are things are not as bad as you think. 
© Copyright 2011 Liberty (ldrp at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1762193-Dont-Let-Mold-Take-Root-in-Your-Home