*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1766459-The-Miracle-Worker
by shyguy
Rated: E · Essay · Contest Entry · #1766459
The story of Helen Keller and Annie Sullivan
"The Miracle Worker"

    Think of a woman in history named Helen Keller.



    If you've ever seen one or the other versions of "The Miracle Worker" you would understand how at the end of her life she was called a "humanitarian". 



    Born deaf and blind she struggled.  When I was young I watched "The Miracle Worker" as a TV movie.  Patty Duke portrayed the young Helen, and Anne Bancroft portrayed her teacher, Annie Sullivan.



    Decades later there was a remake of the same TV movie in which Patty Duke portrayed Miss Sullivan and Melissa Gilbert portrayed the young Helen Keller.



    Her teacher Annie Sullivan didn't give up on Helen.  The movie would show that the young Helen was a "wild child" while learning sign language and speech simultaneously.



    My viewpoint is that the central theme is hope.



    Helen Keller would finally pump a water well pump and water would flow as she said the word "water".



    We must not give up on ourselves.  Also, if others are in a worse situation than ourselves we must not give up on them.  For HOPE is the key ingredient!

© Copyright 2011 shyguy (casperghost at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1766459-The-Miracle-Worker