*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1770206-April-Showers
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1770206
Amanda follows the creature, leaving her family behind.
Written for:

"The Writer's Cramp 13+: Write the best story or poem in 24 hours or less and win 10K GPs!

~~~

The April showers poured down, everyone was inside as they watched the thick liquid ooze down the windows, obscuring their view of anything past the slime. It was dark and gross and red in color. Amanda stood at one of the windows with an awning above it, the glass still relatively clear except for the splattered muck on the window. She could see something dark stalking across the ground outside. It was some sort of creature, its dark fur was matted down with the gunk that fell from the sky. She took a step back as it raised its head to the window where she stood. Glowing yellow eyes flashed through the darkness. Something pulled her back to the window, she couldn't break eye contact with the beast. Her body rested lightly on the window in front of her and her forehead touched the chilled glass.

The window gave way and she toppled outside onto the grass. Immediately she was drenched in the muck. She looked around for the creature and found it. Only a few feet away from her now. The yellow eyes held her in its stare, she was barely aware of the voices of her parents behind her as they yelled for her to come back. But why come back? Hadn't she just fallen from the window? Wasn't she right in front of it? She looked at the creature, it was moving backwards, but she was staying the same distance from it as she had been when she fell. She realized she was walking, following the creature. She opened her mouth to try and scream. Tears flowed down her face, she wanted her mommy and daddy.

The creature finally stopped and turned its back on her. Amanda looked around, she was in the middle of a clearing in front of the large cave. She turned back to look at the creature, it stood eye to eye with her as she looked at it. She began to shake, the slime chilling her to the bone. The large creature opened its jaws and gently clamped them around her shoulder. It pulled her towards the cave entrance. She shook her head, she didn't want to go in there, but it continued to pull her in.

It pushed her down onto a bed of old leaves and straw then pushed a dead squirrel towards her with its nose. She bent down and picked it up. It was freshly killed, the blood still warm against her skin as it soaked into her. The creature sat in front of her and waited. It wanted her to eat it. She looked to the cave entrance, she couldn't make that, not with the creature right there. She bit into it, blood running down her chin and onto her chest. She lay down and used her paws to hold it as she chewed on the dead carcass. She was chosen by the wolf to be his mate. Her owners would be saved this April and the ones to come as her new family would protect them from the others.
© Copyright 2011 JubeCube ~ official homeowner! (jubecube at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1770206-April-Showers