*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1779936-Resurrection
by Jimbo
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1779936
300 word limit Flash-Fiction
Preacher was groggy but he could still feel the sharp stabbing pain coming from his ribs. They were broken, he knew. His eyes were swollen shut and he was having a hard time opening them. His body was sliding across the ground, he could feel the bumps of the earth rolling down his legs. That's an odd feeling he thought. It made him feel like a snake.

Slowly he gained enough consciousness to realize he was being dragged. His hands were tied with rope and his arms stretched over his head. He could feel the hemp digging into his wrists. As his eyes squinted open he could see the hind end of a mule he was tied too. His eyes burned and fluid kept running into them, making everything blurry.

"Whoa," called out a voice from somewhere, and the dragging abruptly stopped. He could hear laughter and people yelling at him but he couldn't tell what they were saying. His head was pounding now and there was a ringing in his left ear. Quite suddenly he was being dragged again but this time it was in short spurts.

After several yanks, he was again motionless. He felt rope being slipped over his head and tightening around his neck. He knew that it would all soon be over. With all the strength of life Preacher had left, he cried out into the night.

"And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent; and the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose. Amen."

With those words spoken, Preacher could feel himself being lifted towards heaven, and towards everlasting peace.

289 words

© Copyright 2011 Jimbo (sixgun at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1779936-Resurrection