*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1796374-A-Road-Less-Traveled
Rated: E · Essay · Religious · #1796374
An autobiography of sorts
I came to a fork in the road and chose the one less traveled….The road at first was smooth and easy. Colorful flowers and scenery along road made travel joyous. The road grew steeper and rocky. I complained. I had imbibed too much of the fruits of the fields and orchards along the way. The way was steep and I sat down often to rest. Each time I rested the desire to get up and move on became more difficult.

There were others I met along this journey, two became my intermittent companions. They also had a difficult time and we would commiserate with each other. The times we spent together were fun but in the end we didn’t progress along the road, we sat under a tree and became more like the vegetation around us.

As the years progressed, the road went up mountains and down valleys and though forests so dark I didn’t think I would find my way out. There were bogs of despair that had me trembling and calling for help. Always, there was a hand to hold on to and help me out of the problems that I made, mostly because of my own choices.

One day I entered a town holding a festival. I stopped to hear a woman who told a story about how along our daily road, we stop at a cottage to rest. There we find a kind person who hears our tale. The proprietor of the cottage gives us commiserating words of kindness.

“You don’t deserve that kind of treatment."

"You have a wonderful personality."

"You are too good, to put up with that."

"I am always here to listen to you.”

"These words give you warmth and after a while you never want to leave their comfort. You want to hear the empathetic comments she gives you. You come to a point when you chose that cottage over traveling on down the road. You stagnate." Her words pierced my soul.

My eyes were opened; I had been to that cottage. I had heard those words, even spoke them to others. I had in my days escaped to the cottage and buried myself in the warmth of the fire and hot sustenance that fed my soul in despair.

I saw that the more I stayed in that environment the more I became like the cottage owner. I needed to move on. I needed to come to grips with what I had done and contributed to my friends cottage experiences. I moved out of the town with new determination. When I met my friends I told them of my experiences. They had a difficult time accepting the change but we began a new friendship.

Years of new determination have passed, my road has changed venue and I have met different traveling companions that have blessed and lifted my spirit. Over half my allotted life has passed and I am seeing that the signs are pointing to an end of the journey.

For a while I never looked beyond the top of the hill in front of me, or curve in the road. Then I came to a huge mountain. The pinnacle was covered with bright clouds. At first I thought it was just a passage of time and soon the valley would again be insight. But very quickly I saw the way was going to be very difficult. The things I became accustomed to obtaining at will were no longer available to me. The needs for every day were provided and looking into the future was just a fog.

I can see in the distance a wider road filled with those who wish instant gratification and similar company. I see their end and it is not what I desire. I feel pity for those deluded people. I often call out a warning and an entreaty to turn and chose a road like mine. They laugh and say “Why? I have plenty of friends and we will all be miserable together.” My heart weeps for their foolishness.

I take note of my surroundings, the road and the signs. While others cry in their despair of the uncertainty of their road, I lift my head. While I cannot see the end I have a map, a guide, that was given to me personally by the Master Map Maker. His plan is revealed to me each day, and while I can’t see what is in the near future, I can unfold the map to see the reward. It is there before me; all the treasures and peace have been promised, as long as I continue on my road.

I would rather stick to the narrower road, the road less traveled, but the one with the most rewarding gift at the end. To spend all of eternity with the Master Map Maker, the one who keeps me in his sight and at times, even carried me when the way was more than I could take.




© Copyright 2011 Quick-Quill (thekindred at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1796374-A-Road-Less-Traveled