*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1801694-Lucky-in-Vagas
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1801694
A newly-wed couple head to Las Vagas and feel like the luckiest people in the world
Entry for the Writer's Cramp contest
Exactly 1000 words. using the following prompt:
Write a story or poem about being in a casino and having some good luck - but not in the sense of winning money.


Andrew and Jen sat in their First Class seats busting with excitement; in approximately four hours time they would be landing at McCarran International Airport and heading towards the bright lights of Las Vagas. The pair had recently got married after ten years together. It wasn’t a huge wedding since they had sped up the process somewhat. Jen had had a serious cancer scare, that came into being about eighteen months previous. After months of treatment and heartache, she had entered complete remission and both decided they wanted to marry and turn a corner. At their wedding reception, Andrew's parents had, generously, presented them with tickets for a nine day trip to Vagas!

Jen stared, absentmindedly, out of the plane window; watching the clouds float by whilst half listening to Andrew chatting away. She knew that he was talking about all the hands of poker he was planning and what they could do with all the money he won - y’know, because he most definitely couldn't lose. She let out a sigh.
“Andrew!” she interrupted him before he could start talking about the imaginary house he could build. “I’ve been thinking…”
"Thinking? When have you had time?" He smiled.
"Funny man!" She sighed again, “While trying not to listen to you and your imaginary riches."
“How clever of you… right, go on, I’ll listen.”
“Very kind, I’m sure!” Jen gave him a cheeky grin, then continued. “I just think we’ve had an awful two years, yet here we are; coming out the otherside laughing. We’re pretty lucky really; you have your job, we have a nice house, great friends and family, maybe babies one day, most of all I’m still here to enjoy this amazing trip.”
“Yep, correct. Your point being?” said Andrew.
Jen laughed, “my point is, we’re lucky enough to even be on this trip, I don’t want to waste it by sitting at a table losing money.... you will lose!” she giggled “having fun with you, after everything, is more important to me than any money.”
Andrew understood entirely, and they spent the rest of their journey, all the way to their hotel, planning their adventures for the next nine days. It would be great!

Andrew woke up early the next morning; jet lag! He looked around him and grinned: not only were they in one of the poshest hotels in Vagas, Bellagio, but upon their arrival they had been upgraded to the Honeymoon Suite. The suite was beautiful, just like Jen, he thought. Jen was fast asleep, and would be for a few more hours since the travelling had taken it’s tole. So, Andrew decided to go for a wander around the hotel.
He tried to take everything in as he walked through the hotel: Vagas is crazy, he thought, glad I'm here nine days, otherwise my eyes/brain would explode! He felt overwhelmed at the size of the place, and how much was going on already: it's only 7am!! So, Andrew decided to start at the beginning: going in search of coffee. He spotted a sign for a cafe, so obediently followed the directions. Whilst he walked through the casino, he saw another big sign shining with the words "win AC/DC tickets". Oh my goodness! He quite liked AC/DC, but he knew that Jen adored them and she'd kill for such an experience.
When he got to the contest stall he sighed; he'd have to write a story about a real life experience. Sheeesh, he never was much of a writer; but thinking of Jen, he knew he had to do it! The contest had already been running for two days, there was only two hours left, so he grabbed a pen and paper and dashed to the cafe, got some coffee and wrote.
It actually wasn't that tough. Andrew wrote about the last two years of his life: Jen's cancer, the love, heartache, stress, getting his wife back from her life-threatening illness, their wedding, and dreams of a family. With every word, he felt physically lighter, as if all the darkness inside him was ebbing away. Once he'd finished, he read it and thought he wouldn't win because it looked like he was going for the 'sympathy vote'. Nevertheless, he returned to the contest stall and submitted his entry: he could come back in one hour for the results.
Jen was in the bathroom when Andrew returned to their room, "hey" he shouted as he sat trying to look calm. She came out, beaming, dressed and seemingly ready for her holiday to start. "Hey you, where have you been?"
"Sorry, I woke early and wanted to let you sleep, so I went for a coffee. Vagas is crazy, the hotel is bigger than our village! How about we look round before heading out?" Andrew said, knowing he wanted to hang around for an hour.
"No worries. I know, I nipped to the shop, um, and swear I was lost for 20 minutes! Lets go then!" said Jen excitedly.

An hour later, Andrew left Jen to go to the 'Ladies' so he could go back to the contest stall to see if he'd won: he had!! And because the judges were so moved, they'd added to the list of prizes:

Tickets to see AC/DC
Upgrade to the Presidential Suite
A voucher for free dining (x2) anywhere in town
Free tickets to any hotel show!


Exstatic, he found Jen, told her to sit down and said he had a present for her. Surprisingly, she said she had one for him too; unable to wait, however, he pushed the list of prizes and his story into her hands and made her read. As Jen read, her grin got bigger. With tears rolling down her cheaks she said:
"WOW! This is going to be the best holiday!...... My present, is a baby! I bought a test earlier and I'm pregnant!"
They hugged, danced and cried together: feeling like the luckiest people in the world!
© Copyright 2011 Fran 💜 💜 💜 (frannywill at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1801694-Lucky-in-Vagas