*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1812179-Silent-Too-Long
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Contest Entry · #1812179
A woman finds a way to be heard
Shanna staggered to her feet and shakily examined herself in the bathroom mirror. The left eye was already swollen and turning various shades of purple. Her bottom lip was split – blood trickled down her chin. Faint finger marks were visible on her throat. There was a dark smudge on her cheek which would become an obvious bruise in just a few hours.

Heavy hammering on the door interrupted her inspection. It seemed Alex was back for round two.

“Shanna,” he hollered. “You get back out here – now!”

“I’m not coming out.”

The door shuddered from Alex’s kick but the lock held. Another kick and Shanna heard wood splinter.

“If you want me, you’ll have to come get me.” Shanna knew this would enrage Alex but she was past caring. It was time to stand up for herself.

Another loud thud and the door nearly gave way. It wouldn’t hold much longer. Shanna looked at herself in the mirror again. She hardly recognized the battered woman staring back at her but took pride in the determination reflected in her eyes. Shanna reached into a drawer and withdrew a revolver just as the door burst open.

She fired two shots into Alex’s chest. He fell and did not move. She waited a minute or two to make sure he was really dead, stepped over Alex, walked to the phone and called 911.

“Please send somebody. I … I just shot my husband,” she stuttered out; then placed the phone on the bed and waited for the authorities.

The first policeman to arrive found Shanna still holding the gun. He gingerly removed it from her hand. “You have the right to remain silent.”

Shanna was still laughing hysterically as they hauled her away. Little did they know she had been silent too long.
© Copyright 2011 Maggie McCullough (fiare at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1812179-Silent-Too-Long