*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1825967-Life-Is-An-Adventure
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Drama · #1825967
A Conversation between father and daughter
It was a beautiful day, Samantha noted to herself. Thankfully the sun was shining and hung high in the sky. As she made her way to the park, she decided that she would take this time to put everything going on in her life into perspective.  Lately there was so much drama that it seemed almost unbelievable to her, and sadly she felt as if there was no one to talk to about it. Smiling she made her way down the driveway when she heard someone call out her name. It was her father but that didn't make sense to her, he should have been at work, what was he doing at home? And why was he calling her when they had been fighting? “Samantha, please come here for a second!”

The only thing worse than facing her father right now would be if she was forced to listen to a Kesha song. The very thought caused a headache to form in her temples, she closed her eyes and attempted to will it away. When she reopened her eyes, her father was in front of her. His pudgy face was bright with a smile, he seemed to be in a much better humor than he had been in the prior weeks. “I am not in the mood to fight dad, so please whatever it is, just save it. I have a lot on my mind right now, and just please leave me alone. We can fight about you wanting to control my life another day, I just don't have it in me to argue with you today!”

“You don't understand, Samantha. I have no intention of arguing with you or controlling your life,” He shook his head as he moved closer to his daughter. Sweat dripped from his brow, his pudgy cheeks were red, though it was unclear whether it was the heat or the anger that Sam was certain was within him. “I want to thank you, for at least trying to meet me halfway. I know that you love Ryan, or at least you think you do. I'm not convinced that a 17 year old girl knows what love is, especially when the boy is older than her, but as I said I am not looking to fight,” Samantha gave him an incredulous look, her relationship with Ryan, her boyfriend, had been a point of contention between them for longer than either of them cared to remember. “I want to thank you for going out with that Van boy. The Senator was very happy that you and his son hit it off so well. I know that you didn't go for me but I am still grateful that you are willing to bend a little.”

Taking a deep breath, Sam looked away from her father. On the date that her father was referencing, she had been kissed by Van. The kiss still lingered on her lips and in her mind, it was at once so soft yet filled with a passion that a boy her age shouldn't know. She pushed her blonde hair off of her ear, tempted to twirl it. “Dad I didn't go out with Van for you, or to compromise with you. I went out with him because he asked me to, and I felt like going out to dinner with someone other than you, mom or Jeff. I wanted to make a new friend, and enjoy myself, and I did. That's all, I am still pissed about you trying to marry me off to him, and frankly he's not thrilled with it either.”

Her father took a few deep breaths. Tears filled his eyes as he opened his mouth, never before had Sam seen her dad cry. It unsettled her that the man who had always protected her and been so tough, let the waterworks flow. As the tear made it's way down his face, she found herself moving towards him. Finally she wrapped her arms around the man who had tucked her in so many nights, and checked her closet for monsters when she was scared. She felt him breathing heavy, finally he spoke in a lower voice “Arranging a marriage for you was the last thing I wanted to do. But you have to understand, even if Ryan hadn't volunteered to go over to fight this war, he would have been forced to. Plus not only is our country at war but we are also in a very deep recession, almost a depression. I needed the military contract to make sure that my family, our family could stay in  the lifestyle that we have all become accustomed to. The Senator wanted his son to marry a girl to get him out of the sadness that he was in and well frankly I have never been fond of Ryan.”

“I know you don't like Ryan, Dad. However when he comes back he and I are getting married, and as much as I want you there, I will not tolerate you trying to stop the wedding. Ryan is my soul mate, the only man I will ever love.” Even as the words popped out of her mouth, she wasn't sure if they were the truth. Once again the kiss she shared with Van made it's way to the forefront of her mind, the kiss was something was comfortable and exciting at the same time.

“Honey, don't shut out all of your options. See where life takes you, there is so much you have to experience, why limit yourself to one path? Life is, and should be an adventure. Don't make the same mistakes that your mother and I did, we love each other but there are days when I wish I had followed my passions. Now though I have new goals, new passion, and that is protecting my family. I love you honey,”

Sam studied her father, more confused than ever. “I love you too, Daddy.”

Word Count 1000
© Copyright 2011 Author Ed Anderson (spaz11081 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1825967-Life-Is-An-Adventure