*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1868810-Entrance-Examinations
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Other · Educational · #1868810
This article gives information about entrance exams in India
Entrance examination – Complete information about entrance examinations



As the name suggests, an entrance examination is an examination which is required to be cleared to take admission in a reputable educational institution. Some of the entrance examinations are also set up for pursuing higher education in foreign countries. Mostly, the entrance examinations are made for secondary education, graduation or post graduation. Once a student leaves his/her schooling and it is time to choose a college for him which would decide his/her career, future or say fate ahead. There is a cut throat competition in today’s world when it comes to higher education because there is a rat race for getting admission into a reputable educational institution. Clearing the entrance examination requires a lot of hard work, passion, dedication and intelligence. Only a student who is a perfect blend of intelligence as well as hard work can clear the entrance examination because the difficulty level of the entrance examination is very high. The difficulty level of the prestigious entrance examinations is generally kept very high keeping in mind that only the truly deserving student is able to clear the entrance examination for the most elite and prestigious educational institutions so that the entire nation on the whole progresses by having intellectual citizens who would later be beneficial for the prosperity or the economical growth of the country in one or other way. These educational institutions only want the cream of the nation so extensive preparation is done for clearing the entrance examinations.





Objective question paper for entrance examinations



1. Entrance examinations are generally objective and are conducted on an OMR sheet. A scanner is used which would recognize the marks on the paper and the answers written by the students will be matched with the actual answers in order to calculate the total score of the students.

2. Objective papers are those in which the student has to fill an option out of the multiple options for each question. There are certain questions as well in which there could more than one answer for the same question.

3. Different entrance examinations have different patterns and most of the questions given in the objective question paper are tricky.



Benefits of Objective question papers

• There can be numerous benefits of the objective question paper for the entrance examinations. The biggest advantage of the objective question paper is that the examiners don’t have to check the long answers written by the millions of the students.

• Answers of these millions of students may vary and it is difficult to judge which answer deserves to get more marks. On the other hand, for an objective entrance examination, the computer knows the exact answers so the checking is fair and comparatively a lot easier.

• Moreover, the kind of difficulty an entrance examination requires can be incorporated only by an objective question paper because the student gets a very limited period of time to solve each question which is approximately less than a minute. Only a student who has studied for hours and expanded his/her limits that too regularly for more than a year would be able to solve such questions within this time. On top of it, the options given for the each question are very confusing and similar so it is very likely for the student to mark a wrong answer until and unless he/she is an above average or extra ordinary student.







The online entrance examinations are basically making the use of the technology in order to assess the level of a student for clearing a particular examination.



Benefits of Online Entrance examination

• The online entrance examinations are easier to conduct and are more reliable and efficient because the examination conducted with a machine will always be better than the one conducted manually because human beings tend to make mistakes but a machine will not.

• Moreover, the online entrance examinations saves the physical or manual storage of all the answer sheets as all the answer sheets can be stored on a single server which is a lot more easier to manage and check.

• Another benefit that you get from the online entrance examinations is that you can use audio clips, videos or animations for putting up innovative and creative questions into the examination.

• Though there is a minimal chance of partiality even if the entrance examination is conducted manually but still the online entrance examination cuts down the minimal probability of the impartiality too.



Disadvantages of online entrance examination

• Though every coin is two faced and therefore, online entrance examinations have some disadvantages too. One of the biggest disadvantages of the online entrance examination is that it involves a technical cost which is comparatively higher than the manual entrance examination. Also, the online entrance examinations are not apt for all types of exams.

Following tips are used for controlling cheating in the entrance examinations:

• It is ensured that there is no cheating in the entrance examinations because there are numerous sets of the question paper and it is made sure that no two students having the same set are sitting near.

• The identification of the student is done with the help of photo IDs, voter card, DNA samples is done to ensure that some other person doesn’t give the exam on the student’s behalf .A hall ticket is issued on the name of the student with a registration ID so that a student without the hall ticket is not allowed to give the examination.



Your performance and your possibility of getting the admission in your dream institute depend upon your rank which further depends upon how your competitors have performed. Lesser is your rank, the better is your performance and you stand a better chance to accomplish your goals. There is no fixed threshold for clearing the examination as the examinations are totally rank based.

If a student is found using any kind of unfair means during the entrance examinations, the student is blacklisted and is not allowed to sit for that particular examination again. Further, legal actions are taken against the student as cheating in exams is a crime. Different examinations follow different actions for punishing the students who have been caught using the unfair means during an entrance examination.



Following offenses can be termed under misconduct during entrance examination:

• Possession of any material/book/notes

• Smuggling of answer sheets

• Usage of cellular phones or Bluetooth

• Tearing answer sheet

• Doing signature on the answer sheet

• Writing any invalid content in the answer sheet

• Influencing the examiner

• Discussion with other student

Classification of entrance examination

• Engineering entrance examination

• Medical entrance exams

• Law entrance exams

• Management

• Film and television



IIT-JEE entrance examination



Introduction to IIT entrance examination

IIT’s are a marvel of excellence in education and are given the top most priority by all the aspiring engineering students. The IITs have been recognized and regarded as the “Institutes of national importance” by the government of India. The IIT-JEE stands for Indian institute of technology – joint entrance examination and is a gateway to the world of IITs. The IIT-JEE exam is not only one of the toughest exams in India but in entire world

year Number of students appeared Number Of Seats available

2008 3.25 lac 6992

2009 4 lac 8295

2010 4.7 lac 9509

2011 4.85 lac 9618

2012 5.2 lac 10,000







So, as you can see from the table and the graphs, the numbers of students appearing for the IIT-JEE examination are increasing every year. Besides this, the numbers of seats available have also increased tremendously because of the opening up of eight new IITs.

Following new IITs have opened up since 2008:

• IIT Bhubaneswar

• IIT Gandhinagar

• IIT Hyderabad

• IIT Patna

• IIT Rajasthan

• IIT Ropar

• IIT Indore

• IIT Mandi



Eligibility for the IIT JEE exam

• The student who belongs to the general category must have the age less than 25 years. Although if the student belongs to the SC,ST and PD categories then he/she is offered age relaxation up to the age of 30 years.

• The student must have completed his/her +2 or an examination which is equivalent to that with a minimum aggregate percentage of 60% in the board examination. However, if the student is disabled or belongs to OBC, then he/she is eligible for the examination with a minimum percentage of 55%.

• Since 2007a new rule has been set up for the eligibility criteria according to which a student can give the IIT-JEE exam twice if he/she doesn’t get satisfactory results during the first time. This is done to give another chance to the deserving candidates whose luck didn’t favor the first time.

• A student who has once got selected for the IIT and have paid the accepting fee can’t appear for it again.

Benefits of studying in IIT





All ambitious future engineers dream of getting into IITs because:

1 In order to get a platform where they can get the best theoretical, experimental and research based education from the experts of technology

2 In order to have a bright future ahead with great job opportunities in the most elite companies such as Microsoft, Google, IBM, Oracle, SAP, Nintendo, Intel and many more.

3 The IITians are regarded as the top performers in terms of technology and it gives you a stature and position in the society.

4 The Educational courses provided by the IITS are simply remarkable and unbeatable because it offers tremendous international research based education programs.

5 The man power created by the IITs is extremely beneficial for the society on technological terms. The faculty or the alumni of the IITs have achieved pinnacle in terms of technology not only in India but across the world.

6 The infrastructure offered by the IITs is growth oriented and progressive and the environment of the IITs is disciplinary. The IITs not only give a boost to the professional lives but also to the social lives of the students and inculcate in them passion, dedication, capability of doing hard work and think intellectually.

7 The IITs have a great infrastructure in terms of the classrooms, well equipped laboratories, remarkable library and phenomenal computer network. The students are taught using the combination of the modern as well as traditional teaching methods. The best part about the IIT is that all the students over there are intellectual, ambitious and have a purpose in life which will help you stay on the right track and accomplish a pinnacle in the field of engineering.



The procedure of the IIT-JEE examination

STEP 1: The first step is to fill the application form of the IIT-JEE before the deadline. The fee of the application form of IIT is rupees 200 for the female candidates and rupees 1800 for the male candidates who belong to general or OBC category. The male candidates who belong to the SC/ST/PD category have a relaxation of 800 rupees and they have to pay only 100 rupees for the IIT exam.

STEP2: You can get the information about the application procedure, examination centers, dates of examination, syllabus of the IIT examination and the courses offered by the IITs from this application brochure.

STEP 3: After getting the detailed information, you need to check the status of your application form after 15 days of the submission of the application form on IIT-JEE websites or by using the interactive voice response system.



STEP 4: you will have to then give the IIT-JEE examination on the examination center designated to you.

STEP 5: After the examination, you will have to wait until the results are declared and the merit list is formed. If you have your name in the merit list then first of all, it’s a time for a big celebration, then you’ll have to plan further that which college and which field will be the most suitable for your future.

STEP 6: You’ll have to go for the IIT-JEE counseling and then finally you will be able to give wings to your dream of getting admission into IITs.



IIT-JEE Examination pattern

You will have to finish the IIT- JEE examination in two parts. Both the parts will have three sections which are physics, chemistry and mathematics. The first half is conducted from 9:00 AM to 12 Noon and the second half will be from 2:00 PM to 5:00 PM. The order and the pattern of the questions cannot be predetermined and it can vary.

Following type of questions can be asked to you in IIT-JEE examination:

• You can be asked straight objective questions in which you will have to mark out of all the options

• Another category is of multiple correct question answers in which there might be more than one correct answer. Marks will be awarded only if all the answers are marked and each wrong answer will deduct one mark.

• No options are provided to you for the integer type questions as they involve calculations having numerical answers which might be one digit or two digits. However, there is no negative marking for these questions. The marks of each integer type question are around six to eight marks.

• In linked comprehension type questions, you will be provided a passage and three multiple choice questions will be asked to you on the basis of that comprehension. In order to solve these questions, the student has to comprehend the passage properly and use his/her own knowledge regarding the information given in the passage. These questions need a lot of practice because only a student who has spent thousands of hours studying can comprehend the passage quickly and mark all the questions correct. One or two marks will be deducted if the marked answer is wrong.

• The reasoning type questions are designed in order to check the analytical skills and the logical thinking of the aspiring candidate. In these questions, a set of statements are provided to the students and he/she has to verify the validity of the statements and check if one statement is following the other.

• In matrix type questions, two columns are provided either each of them containing four subdivisions or one column containing four subdivisions and other containing more than four subdivision

Toughness level of IIT





How to prepare for IIT-JEE examination?

You need to have a faith on yourself that you can achieve your goal and you won’t be discouraged by distractions that come in your way. You should have a positive spirit within you and have a goal I mind and believe that studying in IIT doesn’t mean that you won’t have a personal life. You should follow the “work hard party harder rule”. You should have patience, regularity and consistency within you. Moreover, you must know how to make maximum utilization of your time. You should prepare a well planned time table and you should study the right study material. You should study according to the examination pattern and the syllabus. You can take help of a good coaching center.



AIEEE EXAMINATION



Introduction to AIEEE

AIEEE stands for All India Engineering Entrance Examination and is conducted by the central board of secondary education (CBSE) and ministry of human resource development according to the rules given by the government of India in order to get admission in colleges for pursuing engineering and architecture in several reputable engineering colleges of India such as National institute of technology, deemed universities, Indian institute of information technology, state engineering educational institutions, central engineering institutes and other union territory educational institutes. Over 5 Indian institute of information technology colleges and 30 National institute of technology colleges come under the AIEEE examination.

In general, the AIEEE exam is held on the last Sunday of April and the results are declared either in the last week of the May or the first week of June.

The seats of these colleges are filled with the help of counseling which takes place at the centralized level. Only those students are eligible for the counseling of the AIEEE examination who are in the merit list of the AIEEE examination.

The candidates are ranked on the basis of where they stand when compared to all the students who appeared for the AIEEE known as “All India rank (AIR)” or on the basis of the student’s performance when compared to the other students in his/her state also known as state rank (SR).



Eligibility to appear for the AIEEE examination

• All the students who have cleared their secondary education, ie, +2 with an aggregate percentage of 50% in physics, chemistry and mathematics are eligible for appearing in AIEEE examination.

• If the student has done any other course which is equivalent to +12 is also eligible for the AIEEE examination but that course should include mathematics as one of the subjects. These equivalent examinations can include the FOLLOWING:

• If the student has appeared for a two year pre-university examination which is conducted by the central or the state board, then he/she can be eligible for the AIEEE

• If the student has cleared the final exam conducted by joint services wing of the national service academy which has duration of two years, then he/she is allowed to appear for the AIEEE examination.

• Clearing the H.S.C. Vocational Examination can make a student eligible for the AIEEE examination.

• Senior Secondary School Examination conducted by the National Open School with a minimum of five subjects is another examination which makes a student eligible for the AIEEE examination.







Age Limit for appearing in the AIEEE examination

• If the student belongs to the general category then the maximum age limit for giving the AIEEE examination is 25 years.

• If the student belongs to the SC,ST category or is physically handicapped then there is a relaxation of the age limit up to 30 years of age.



The application form of the AIEEE examination



There are two ways of accessing and filling out the AIEEE examination which as listed as below:

• The first way is to fill the online application form which is available on the official website of AIEEE or submitted with the help of prescribed application form.

• The information bulleting which contains the application form of the AIEEE can be retrieved through a post from Joint Secretary (AIEEE), Central Board of Secondary Education, 17, Rouse Avenue, Institutional Area, (Near Bal Bhawan), New Delhi – 110002. You can even receive it personally through the regional offices of CBSE. The cost of the booklet for general categories is INR 300 and for SC/ST candidates INR 150. If the student wishes to receive via snail mail the he/she will have to pay INR 350 if he/she belongs to general category and INR 200 if he/she belongs to the SC/ST/PH

Year Number of candidates registered Number of candidates appeared

2011 1114541 1053807

2010 1118148 1065100

2009 1010061 962119

2008 862853 792752

2007 641276 599096

2006 523811 490193

2005 436048 397178

2004 417723 393266



you can see in the table, the total number of students appearing for the AIEEE examination is increasing with each passing year which is good for the progress of the nation because this indicates that more and more students are aspiring to be in reputable engineering colleges through the AIEEE examination. Though it also indicates that the competition is getting tougher with each passing year and the difficult level of the examination is also increased.





year Number of examination Number of cities where

centers in each city AIEEE examination is conducted

2011 1685 86

2010 1623 86

2009 1460 85

2008 1298 75

2007 1047 79

2006 912 ?

2005 763 87

2004 765 102



The above table clearly shows that the number of examination centers have increased won an average of 250 per year. Thus, the numbers of aspiring candidates have increased and the popularity of the AIEEE examination has risen with each passing year.



Paper used for different courses provided by the AIEEE

Course Papers

B.E/B.Tech Paper-1

B.ARCH/B.PLANNING Paper-2



As described in the table, the AIEEE examination has two parts which are paper 1 and paper 2. A student can appear for the paper 1 if he/she wants to take up the B.Tech course and the paper 2 if he/she wishes to take up B.arch. A student can even go for both the papers. The paper 1 is for B.E/B.TECH courses and the paper 2 is for B.arch courses.

The paper 1 is divided into three parts which are Mathematics, Physics and chemistry with all the subjects being given equal weight-age. The AIEEE entrance examination is made up of multiple choice question answers with all the questions having one answer correct. The AIEEE examination is conducted using the OMR sheets in which one has to fill in the bubble under the correct option which is scanned with a help of a scanner. The AIEEE examination has negative marking as 1/4th of marks are deducted for each incorrect answer. The duration of the AIEEE examination is approximately 3 hours.

The paper 2 consists of three parts which are Mathematics, Drawing, and Aptitude. The first two sections are multiple choice questions with only one correct answer. The third section has drawing based questions



How to prepare for AIEEE examination?

• You should prepare the fundamentals of each subject and each concept should be very clear to you such that you can solve any question.

• You should take the help of various books, e-books and other study material and study them thoroughly to get fully prepared for the AIEEE

• You should have proper knowledge of the syllabus

• You must review the previous question papers.

• You should take help of a professional teacher or coaching centre which would guide you best for preparation of AIEEE

• You should make use of well planned strategies and tricks to crack AIEEE.



GRE ENTRANCE EXAM



The GRE stands for graduate record examinations and it is used by many graduate schools across the world for their graduate programs. The GRE exam is a standardized exam which is used for thousands of business programs worldwide especially in countries like U.S.A or any other English speaking country. Besides that, the individuals who have a combined verbal and quantitative score of 1460 were recognized by the triple nine society till May 1994. From 1994 to 2011, the GRE candidates who bagged a combined verbal, quantitative and analytical score of 2180 are qualified for the membership of triple nine society.

The GRE exam has been created by Educational Testing service which is the most popular and prestigious private/nonprofit organization for testing and assessment around the globe.

The GRE exam assesses the following skills:

• Verbal section

• verbal reasoning

• quantitative reasoning

• analytical writing

• critical thinking skills

Today, the GRE scores have become the determining factor for getting admission in most of the prestigious graduate schools all over the world.

Structure of the GRE examination







The GRE examination is mostly computer based .As you can see in the figure above, the GRE examination is divided in six sections. The verbal reasoning, analytical writing and the quantitative reasoning can be conducted in any order but the analytical writing section is always held first.

The duration of the GRE examination is three hours forty five minutes. One minute break is allotted to the candidates after each section and ten minutes break is given to them after the third section has been completed.

The research section is not mandatory and it is always held as a last section. The questions which are asked on the basis of the research are not added to the marks of the GRE exam and they are basically for the assessment of the logical and critical thinking of the GRE candidates.

• Analytical writing – The analytical writing section is further branched into two parts. In one part, the candidates are required to present their views or opinions on an issue and this is basically for checking the written communication of the aspiring candidates. In the second section of the analytical writing, the students will have to discuss an argument which helps to judge the analytical skills of the candidates

• Quantitative sections – In the quantitative sections of the GRE, the numerical ability and the data interpretation ability of the students is tested.

The type of questions in this category can be further classified into four different categories:

o Single choice objective questions –this includes questions which have only one correct answer

o Multiple choice objective questions – In these questions, the mathematical problem presented to the candidate can have more than one correct answer. No credit will be given to the students, if all the correct options are not marked in the objective type questions.

o Numeric entry – In these questions the students will have to solve the numerical problem and type the answer of the numerical in the box given in the question

o Quantitative comparison – In this section the students will have to decide the answer which will rightly match the relationship between the quantity in column A to the quantity in column B.



All these four categories of questions are mixed in the quantitative section of the GRE examination. The various topics of mathematics that are covered under the quantitative aptitude are arithmetic, algebra, geometry, or data analysis.

If you are taking the computer based GRE test then you are allowed to use the on-screen calculator for the numerical problems. However if you are giving the paper based exam then you can use your own calculator.

The data analysis part involves interpretation of the graphical data in which multiple number of graphs will be provided for the same data as an option and you will have to mark the right graph.

• Verbal section: The verbal section of the GRE examination involves the reading and the comprehension of the information which tests one’s ability to understand English. The verbal section is also divided into three groups which are

o Reading Comprehension

o Completion

o Equivalence

• Reading comprehension: In this section, a passage of around 350 words will be given and some questions will be given based on that. The questions might include questions like author’s main point, which statement strengthens or weakens the argument and facts given in the passage.

• Text completion: As the name suggests, this sections contains a short passage with a few blanks given in it to be identified by the student. The students will get the credit points only if the logically correct answer is filled by the candidate.

• Sentence equivalence: In this section a large statement will be given with a large blank in it which is to be logically filled by the student using the contextual clues.

























© Copyright 2012 Amita Sood (amitaa29 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1868810-Entrance-Examinations