*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1870473-Nothings-Better-Than-a-Home-Cooked-Meal
Rated: E · Editorial · Food/Cooking · #1870473
The friendly people and beautiful landscapes are enough to capture anyone’s enthusiasm
I’m not Panamanian, but just being with my fiance in his home country was enough to make me feel homesick upon our return. The friendly people and beautiful landscapes are enough to capture anyone’s enthusiasm, however his family is what really stole my heart away. His two nephews sat side by side, eating their aunt’s freshly made “arroz con guandu” in their grandmother’s backyard. I remember that day clearly, even years later: a large fire burning with the smell of roasting cashews, the cast iron pot filled to the brim with rice and peas (guandu – fresh from the neighborhood) and a house filled with a loving family.

So, in celebration of Panama’s Independence Day today, I’d like to share a recipe that is close to the hearts of my new family:

Arroz con Guandú Panameño

(Rice and Peas Panamanian Style)

1 lb fresh “guandú” peas (substitute dried if fresh is unavailable – soak overnight)

1 lb medium grain white rice

2 tblsp vegetable oil

Salt to taste

Put the peas to cook in a pot with enough water just to cover the peas. Boil until all water has evaporated. Put the heat on high, add the oil and rice. Stirring constantly, fry the peas and rice in the oil until the rice is a bit whiter than it started. Do not let the rice burn.

Add water to cover one inch above the rice level. Add salt to taste and stir. Bring to a rolling boil, cover the pot and lower the heat to medium-low. Let the rice simmer until all liquid has evaporated.

The rice is done once it is fluffy, but not sticky. If the rice is still hard, add a little more water, cover the pot and put the temperature on medium-high. It is normal to have a thick, almost burnt layer of rice on the bottom of the pot. In many latin homes this is considered the best part of the rice.

Serves 4-6 as a side dish.
© Copyright 2012 Ashley Morgan (ashleyjmorgan at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1870473-Nothings-Better-Than-a-Home-Cooked-Meal