*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1873529-Technology-in-the-classroom
Rated: E · Essay · Other · #1873529
Essay #2 in my first semester of college.
         Children these days have it far too easy in the classroom. Whereas we grew up toting around fifty pound of school supplies back and forth five days a week, this generation can get away with digital notebooks, textbooks and even palm-sized calculators in cellular phones. The best tools we had were giant calculators and mechanical pencils. While this advance in technology is very welcome in the classroom environment, it presents just as many faults as it does perks, for student and teacher alike.

         For teachers, the modern advances in technology allow for easier education. One example is the reduction in paperwork handouts. The students can now complete homework and other assignments on their computers and email them directly to their instructors. Another good example is the use of computers and projectors to create an alternate method of education: through visual aids children these days read less and watch television more. The use of projectors in the classroom allows teachers to teach more on the student's level. This can be beneficial to the student, but it can also aid towards stunting the child's ability to learn, espectially if the technology was in their hands as opposed to their instructors.

         Children and especially teenagers are young and capable of keeping up with technological advances. They know how to use the latest in computers, cell phones and music players. While this may seem like a good thing to prepare them for the ever-changing job market, what is it really doing to our children? They sit in classrooms not paying attention to their teachers, but instead listening to their MP3 players and updating their social networking page with details on how boring said teacher is. They aren't even spelling half of their words correctly, instead using computer lingo and terms such as 'lol' (laughing out loud) or 'Y u no teach gud?' This creation of their own virtual language does, however, present the possibility that this virtual media isn't completely dumbing down students. Technology does allow students to learn easier, as well.

         The advances in technology leading up to the invention of computers and the internet have opened of new resources from which students can acquire knowledge. Schools are able to post online courses where students can study and do schoolwork right in the comfort of their own homes. Various websites, such as Wikipedia.org or Dictionary.com, allow students to research faster than ever before. Even something as simple as a word processor cuts writing time by a huge fraction. Technology is even helping younger children learn through electronic toys such as the Leapfrog.

         So, in conclusion, technological advances may seem to distract people in the classroom today, but the benefits of such tools for outweigh the flaws. It comes down to how these resources are handled by the individual. Perhaps one day students will be able to avoid hand cramps by being able to type their essays in class?
© Copyright 2012 Tabletop Pony (megafrenzy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1873529-Technology-in-the-classroom