*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1876732-Anomanunka
Rated: E · Short Story · Other · #1876732
An Indian legend
Image for the story


The Legend of Anomanunka ~

In the northern reaches of Vermont, back in the hills, there lived a young Algonquin farmer and his wife, their home well north of the local village.

One morning, in accordance with his duties, the young farmer set off to bring his wares to the people of the village. Upon his return, he found that his home had been raided by the Mohawk to the west. Most upsetting to him was the fact that his wife had disappeared as well.

Unable to stay home without his wife, the young farmer set off to find his wife, so that he might bring her back home.

The farmer walked for a day when he first came upon a Mohawk village. He stayed hidden among the bushes, and watched the village for two days, until he spotted his wife working as a slave for one of the sub-chiefs of the village.

That evening, excited by the sight of his wife, he made his way into the village, attempting to free her. The farmer made his way to the longhouse of the sub chief, but upon crossing the threshold he was captured.

The farmer was striped, beaten, and abused until he was at the breaking point. All the while, he cried out to the heavens, begging for forgiveness. He was then left upon the pole for a week.

Every day at sunset during that week, the farmer’s wife came to him, washing his wounds and sneaking him food when she could. They kept their conversations to a minimum, so as to try to attract as little attention as possible.

On the last day tied to the pole, the high chief of the Mohawk came to the farmer and questioned the young man. The farmer said very little, and often answered the chief with a single word.

Anomanunka.

The chief was impressed with the strength of the farmer, and the solid nature of his will. The chief ordered the farmer taken down from the pole, and had him brought to his quarters within the village.

“You have shown great bravery, confronted with the punishment for your act. What do you have to say for yourself?”

The farmer replied:

“Anomanunka!”

At this, the chief of the Mohawks shook his head, and turned his back upon the man to think. Frustrated, it was not long before he stormed out of the lodge. Moments turned to minutes, and minutes into hours, and it was the end of the day before the great chief returned.

“I must say, young man, that among my people we can not remember anyone outside our nation that has shown the strength you have shown us today. From now on, you shall be known as Anomanunka, after your responses to our questionings.”

And with that, Anomanunka was pressed into service for the chief as his personal slave.

Now Anomanunka was with the chief for many years, and served his master with dignity. Despite numerous chances to escape, he never gave a hint of attempting to flee, and was even responsible for saving the life of the chief on many occasions.

Time passed, and the chief was getting old. One day, he came to Anomanunka and asked if there was anything that he, as the chief, could do for his faithful servant.

Anomanunka sat for a while, and then approached the chef with his request. “I want my wife returned to me.”

The chief was stunned. Anomanunka could have anything, even his own freedom, and yet he asked to be rejoined with his wife.

“Where is this woman you speak of, your wife? If she is with the Mohawk, you can be sure she will be returned to you!”

“Sir, she is a servant in the home of your sub chief, the home I was entering when I was caught. I meant no harm to your man when I snuck in. I only wanted to be with her again.”

The chief sent word to his sub chief to come to his lodge post haste, and to bring the servant girl with him. When they arrived, an exchange was made, and Anomanunka was reunited with his love.

“Once again, Anomanunka, I am impressed by your thought of your fellow man, even before yourself. As my gift to you, I shall set you free, to either return to your people, or to live out the rest of your days here as an elder among my people!”

“Thank you, Sir,” came the reply. “As much as this has become my home, I long to return to the hills of my birth. I ask you simply, as a free man, the ability to travel back and forth, that I may be with both the people of my birth, and the people who shall now be my friends.”

“Granted!” cried the chief. “On one condition. You explain to me the power that has held you through these years.”

Anomanunka picked up a stick, and drew in the dirt before him.

One straight line. “Anom. My duty to others.”

“Anun. My duty to my self” And with this, a second straight line beside the first.

“Ka. Bound by God.”

And with that he drew a third straight line, crossing the first two.

© Copyright 2012 Turtle ~ KanyáthƐko:wa:h (marnts at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1876732-Anomanunka