*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1876851-OBLIVION
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Contest Entry · #1876851
Gabe Perry, a half breed, captured by outlaws, and rescued by a strange creature.
OBLIVION




Gerald Grim, slammed his fist into Sheriff McGwyer's face knocking him unconscious. Perry and Riley released their grip and let McGwyer descend unceremoniously to the ground. Grim's dusty black boot lashed out and kicked the unconscious man out of sheer meanness. A groan escaped but was quickly silenced as Grim dispatched the sheriff with a bullet between his eyes.

"I hate lawmen almost as much as I hate Injuns. Drag his body and throw it into the arroyo where it won't be seen, then lets high-tail it out of here before someone comes looking. Good-bye sheriff, I guess that cell in Cheyenne will just have to stay empty. Garrett go get the horses I want to get back to South Dakota before winter sets in."

The four men road hard for three days avoiding towns and soldiers. "We're running low on supplies Grim we'll never make it with what we have."

"Garrett, you and Riley ride on ahead, see what you can round up. Perry and I will back-track to make sure we aren't being followed. If you come across anyone, well, you know what to do."

"Sure do boss." Garret answered as they rode off.


**********



"Gabe Perry, you come back here this minute."

"Yes mamma."

Gabe knew he was in trouble when his mamma used both his Christian names. At seventeen he was full grown and head of household. He would do anything for her, but sometimes he needed man time. Time to figure out his future.

His mother had been taken captive while in her early teens. Her long blond hair and blue eyes attracted the eyes of many warriors, but it was Wounded Bear who captured her heart. Cara had just turned eighteen when Gabe was born. She was just a little thing barely five foot three weighing only a hundred and fifteen pounds, but Cara's strong spirit made up for her lack of size. She was bound and determined to be a good Sioux wife.

Gabe was five years old when his warrior father died at Little Bighorn. He loved listening to stories of his father, and her life with the Sioux and wished he remembered, but he didn't. After the battle at Little Bighorn, Cara feared for the life of her son, so she took him away. They traveled east, toward the Black Hills, hiding from soldiers and Indian alike. Tired of traveling on foot, with the Black Hills still in the distance, Cara gave into her exhaustion. The plains of Wyoming were vast, with large areas of lush vegetation. This was as good a place to stay as any. They discovered an old abandoned line shack. Cara patched the roof with boards found scattered about, and reshaped bent rusty nails with a large flat rock. She knew how to trap rabbits and how to fashion tools from stone and weave baskets from prairie grass. They could survive here. When she needed supplies she sold rabbit pelts and baskets at a small town, two days west. Winter waited for no one. Her growing son would need clothes.

Gabe grew into a big, strong man, bigger than his father. He could spear fish, hunt wild boar, and trap any number of small animals. He killed only for food, never killing more then needed. Although independent, he was still lonely. He longed for a companion, someone he could talk to other than his mother. Man talk. He had a yearning to travel and see places other than his surroundings, but his mother needed him. He had his mother's blue eyes and his father's long dark hair. His shoulders were broad, arms muscular, and hips narrow.  Tall, just shy of six foot, he towered over his mother. He walked with a natural confidence, straight, and proud. He feared nothing. There was nothing he couldn't do. He'd never had to prove himself. There was no one to prove anything to. They lived isolated from the rest of the world. His mother wanted it that way.

"Where do you think you're going?"

"Just going to check the traps mom."

"And just when do you plan on fixing the chicken coop? We lost another one last night to that sly fox you keep promising to catch."

"I'll fix it when I get back."

"Don't take too long."

As Gabe reset the final trap he heard screams echoing through the valley. Panic rippled through his body, like waves beating against the shore. Dropping his catch he ran the two miles toward home. Unaware of what the danger might be, he silently crept closer toward the house. He saw no one, but could hear voices from within. The air around him was still as death. He knew what death smelled like. He was a hunter. He killed for food, but what he saw sickened him as he peeked through the window. His mother, naked, battered and bloodied, lay sprawled motionless across the bed.

"Garrett, did you have to kill her?"

Holding the side of his blood stained head, the tall, slender Garrett glared at his companion. "Look at what that wildcat did to my ear, she nearly bit it off. Riley. she deserved what she got."

Gabe's skinning knife seemed to appeared magically in his clutched fist. Rage and hatred empowered him as he leaped through the open window and jammed his knife through his mother's, killer's throat. Turning toward the second stranger, he flung himself across the room. The short, balding man was no match for Gabe, his movements sluggish compared to the lightning agility of this unforeseen attack. Gabe tackled the man to the ground as he tried to escape. The stranger's screams were instantly cut short as Gabe slit the strangers throat.  His heart pounding heavily in his chest, he tried to get up ,but his hands slipped in the man's pooling blood. Blinded by tears he didn't see the man standing over him, until he felt the hammering pain in his head, then...nothing.

The smell of burning meat, and intense heat brought Gabe to a groggy awareness, he tried to sit up and open his eyes, but the dense smoke blinded him. Rough hands yanked him to his feet. Barely able to stand Gabe's legs wobbled beneath him.

"You're awake, good. Open your eyes half-breed. Take a good look."

Gabe's eyes fluttered open. The life he once knew was being extinguished in a blazing inferno. The dense black smoke stung his eyes as he looked toward the fire blazing a just few feet away. He closed his eyes, to shut out the image, but the vision lingered. Like garbage he was tossed to the ground. Gabe curled into a fetal position, and heaved, the pounding in his head nearly driving him back into unconsciousness. The two men saddled their horses, then loaded the stolen supplies on the other two mares. Gabe's bound hands were yanked in front of him. A length of rope was tied to his wrists and attached to the saddle's pommel. 

"Get up half-breed, unless you want to be dragged all the way to South Dakota." The command was followed by a swift kick to Gabe's ribs. Gabe rose as fast as he dared to move, his head still spinning from being hammered by the rifle butt. He could barely see through the pain and smoke, although the pain in his heart was worse. He didn't know who his captor was, or why they didn't just kill him like they did his mother. All he could see was the man's black boots every time they slammed into his side.

They traveled for several days, moving slowly, pulling Gabe behind. Gabe knew he was going to die, he was sure of it. Death walked along side him whispering in his ear. "Don't fail me little man, I need you."  Gabe walked behind the leader's horse or was dragged if he fell. The men only stopped at night, or to relieve themselves. It was only then that Gabe could rest. Gabe thirsted for water but was denied even a sip. He was weak from being severely dehydrated, he knew it was just a matter of hours before he stood before his ancestors, and the Spirit whose voice called to him from the land of the dead.

Gabe prayed to the Spirit to end his torment, knowing he could not last much longer. Better to end it now, he had nothing to live for. The Spirit did not listen. Instead, it sent a  thunderstorm barely lasting 20 minutes. The dry, parched earth quickly absorbed the moisture like a sponge. Gabe cursed the storm for prolonging his agony. He would rather have died, but his body won the battle between life and death as Gabe drank in the life giving nectar. 

"Vengeance shall be ours," whispered the Spirit. Gabe thought he was going mad. The voice in his head didn't seem real, but his pain and thirst was brutal.

"Take me already," thought Gabe.

"Soon," answered the Spirit.

He finally succumbed from exhaustion and fell face down, scraping his hands, elbows and knees as he was dragged across the hardened packed earth. His buckskin breeches had protected him for awhile but they had begun to wear away from all the times he was dragged by the horse. With his hands tied together there wasn't much he could do to defend himself. The dry, cracked riverbed seemed to thirst for his blood. Blood he couldn't afford to lose. His throat, parched from thirst, ached with each swallow. His cracked lips and parched tongue tried to salvage what moisture it could by licking his wounds. A sip of water, that's all he needed. He heard their laughter, and knew they were laughing at him.

He could hear bits of conversation. Something about attacking a big gold shipment that was foiled by a busybody sheriff from Cheyenne. Gabe's choking cough merited another kick to his ribs. Wincing from the pain, he clutched his side to prevent another assault to his already bruised ribs. He'd grown to hate those pointy toed black boots. If he could only have something to eat and drink he could build up enough strength to escape.

Gabe thought he was going mad. The voice in his head didn't seem real, but his pain and thirst was unrelenting. The march through hell continued for days, his only relief an occasional rain storm, or if they crossed a stream. His captors wouldn't let him stop to drink, so he would pretend to lose his balance and fall into the water. He would drink his fill as they dragged him through the stream. Gabe figured if he was ever going to escape he would need his strength to fight these men.

The Black Hills in the distance grew larger with each passing day, the terrain became more fertile, and the streams more frequent. His strength slowly returned with the increase of the precious water, but he knew without food he would never have the strength to overcome the two men. He'd lost so much weight his clothes hung loosely. He needed to get away before they crossed the Black Hills and arrived at Black Boot's camp. Every night he struggled to loosen his bonds, but they were too tight. His wrists bled from the constant struggle.

"Get up half-breed." Black Boots screamed. "You killed two of my men. When we get to the Badlands you'll wish you were never born. However, you might not last that long. I have something special waiting for you back at our base camp."

Unable to speak, Gabe nodded, hunched his shoulders and struggled to stand. His long, black hair, matted with snarls and dirt, hid his expression of hatred from Black Boots. As Gabe positioned his hands and knees to push himself up, Black Boots kicked him again. Pain radiated throughout his side with each gasp of breath. Gabe, collapsed. As darkness began its descent a roaring thunder and blazing inferno exploded around him. He figured the screams he'd heard, were the screams echoing from deep within his soul. Gabe welcomed the darkness as he slid into...oblivion.

When he woke, it was pitch dark. The moon, half-full, winked occasionally through passing clouds. Gabe wondered where Black Boots was. He was afraid to move, the pain he knew would be unbearable. Maybe he could pretended unconsciousness a little longer. He didn't think he could survive another blow to his ribs.

"Do you intend to lay there much longer?"

Gabe's eyes popped open when he heard the Spirit's voice. He could barely see in the dark and wondered why there wasn't a fire.

"So...You wish a fire."

"Whoosh!"

The night turned into day as a blazing fire warmed the chilled night air. The days were still warm for early September, but the chilly night promised winter was not too far away. Magnificent fall colors dotted the landscape, but Gabe had been too ill to notice.

"There, does that satisfy you? Will you get up now?"

Chocking on his words, Gabe hoarsely replied. "Why, so you can kick me again?"

"Ah! He speaks. I could rip your heart out, would you like that instead?"

"Yes. Do it."

"I said, GET UP!"

Gabe tensed his abdomen, and pulled in his arms to protect his ribs. He expected pain. There was. He could barely catch his breath. Gritting his teeth he pushed himself into a sitting position, then hoisted himself up onto a log in front of the fire. Gabe looked around.

"Get out of my head. Show yourself."

"You will see me soon enough."

"Where is Black Boots and his partner?"

"One of them rode away, the other...was delicious."

"Wa...what did you say?"

A low rumbling laugh broke through the silence, vibrating the ground beneath where he sat. Gabe jumped to his feet wrapping his arms tightly around his ribs. It was then he realized his wrists were untied and he began to tremble. It was the first time in many days he could feel his fingers. He didn't know whether to laugh, or cry. He wanted to cry for his mother wishing he could see her again, yet wanted to laugh and rejoice that he was still alive. Gabe made a fist with his hands, then flexed his fingers. Such big, strong, useless hands. What good were they? They couldn't even protect his mother. He should have stayed home and fixed the chicken coop, then she might still be alive.

"Feeling sorry for yourself. Is that what she would want of you?"

Gabe could feel his anger building. His two hands clenched into fists by his side. A fire in the pit of his stomach seemed to ignite and rage out of control.

"How do you know what I'm thinking? Show yourself," Gabe screamed.

"Finally, I was beginning to think I had chosen wrong. Would you like something to eat? I saved you some. It's a favorite of mine, 'though I don't partake very often."

"Yes. Thank you, but water first. Please."

"Sorry. I have no water, but the meal you will eat is very moist."

Gabe sat as he massaged his throat and wondered why the Spirit would't show himself. From out of the darkness came a large hunk of meat. It landed in Gabe's lap.

"Eat! You will need your strength."

The meat was tasty. Unusual in texture and flavor. Very moist and oozing with grease. When Gabe was finished he asked what it was.

"Don't you mean, WHO it was?"

Gabe's jaw dropped. "What do you mean, WHO?"

"The enemy, your enemy, my enemy."

"Are you going to eat me too?"

"I could, but I need you alive. I have a use for you. I will help heal you, provide for you. You in turn, will recover something very precious to me, and in the process reap vengeance for what you have lost. Do we have a bargain?"

"Yes."

"Good. You may call me Blue. Now get off my tail."


**********



True to his word, Blue directed Gabe to the nearest stream where they made camp. Too weak to travel he collapsed from pain and exhaustion. Once he recovered enough he made preparations for their journey east. With winter fast approaching Gabe knew he needed something warmer than what he had on. He also needed a change of clothes and a water skin. Blue provided him with a large assortment of meat: venison, bear, and buffalo. Gabe skinned what was provided and shared the meat with Blue.

Gabe scraped off all the excess meat with a bone flesher he had made himself out of animal bones, until the hide was soft and smooth. For three days and nights he soaked the rolled hides in the near-by stream. The deer hides he de-haired, so he could make himself new buckskins. He mashed the animal's brains, and simmered them in fat and water. He tanned the hides by rubbing the mixture into the moistened hides until it was mostly absorbed. Afterward he sprinkled the hides with warm water, rolled them up again and let them set overnight. The next morning the excess water was wrung out and the hides stretched. Each hide was again smoothed and scraped until it was soft and pliable. They were now ready to be smoked. Smoking gave each hide a distinctive color from cream to brown, smoking also kept them from stiffening if they ever got wet again. The buffalo hides he used as bedding, the bear hides for warmth, and the deer skins for clothing.

Gabe kept himself busy during the day, but looked forward to the nights. Blue would scout the area during the day, and in the evenings tell him where to find water. It was during this time they bonded in friendship, and planned their strategy. Gabe explained to Blue about guns and the danger they presented, so they decided on a night attack. Gabe had no weapons other than what he could make himself. He made a bone knife and used it to fashion a bow and arrows. Blue said his treasure was hidden in a small cave above the enemy camp. They hadn't found it yet, but it was just a matter of time before they did. It was most important he got it back.

Blue went on ahead to scout the enemy while Gabe broke camp. He tied everything on a litter made of cut poles and skins for Blue to carry over the mountains. They needed to clear the Black Hills before winter set in. They didn't have much time left. Gabe took only what he needed to survive, Blue carried the rest. Blue guided Gabe through the Black Hills, telling him the easiest and fastest route. Gabe wondered why Blue wouldn't show himself. He knew Blue was some kind of creature, but what kind he didn't know?

Once across the Black Hills the land leveled out. Rolling hills and fertile plains stretched as far as the eye could see. Gabe's strength had returned and with it a strong desire for revenge.

After several more days of travel, Gabe could see the Makhosica (Lakota word for Badlands) drawing nearer. Although the sky was clear, a wavy, gray-blue haze seemed to waver above it. Gabe had never seen such desolation. As he traveled through the short grass prairie he studied the badlands ahead and wondered why anyone would want to go there. The sharply eroded buttes, pinnacles and spires cast eerie shadows across the land. The land seemed devoid of life. The striated canyon walls and hoodoos (tall thin spires of variable thickness) towered above the canyons, like totem poles watching over the land of the dead.

A huge shadow circled above him, increasing in size. "Gabe, it's time we met."

"Where are you?"

"Look up."

Gabe squinted his eyes, half blinded by the sun. The shadow grew. The ground swirled around him as sand buffeted his skin. Fear consumed him, and wanted to run and hide.

"Don't be afraid, I will not hurt you. We are bonded in a righteous cause."

As the huge forty-foot long beast landed, the ground trembled and Gabe nearly lost his balance. When the sand and wind settled he uncovered his eyes and stared in wonder. Gabe stood frozen in place as the massive creature lumbered toward him. It was the strangest looking bird he had ever seen. Fiery red eyes peered at him from under a massive brow. Puffs of smoke drifted out of nostrils at the end of a long curved snout. Twelve inch long talons protruded from feet as big as a cow, but it was the beasts color that captured Gabe's attention. Clear, sparkling, opalescent scales covered a sapphire-blue body from its nose to the end of a tapered 15 foot long tail. Gabe's whole body trembled in fear.

"Are you afraid little man?"

"Yes."

"You should be. I am quite terrifying."

"Then why do you need me?"

"Because you are brave and strong, but most important you are small. We attack tonight. There are more men than I have claws on all my feet. I will kill most of them. You will get what I want from the cave. Kill anyone who tries to stop you. The cave is near the top of the butte where I will drop you off, then you will climb down to the cave. You will bring extra food and water, enough for the night. Tomorrow, after you are rested, you will climb down following another narrow trail. I will scout for any enemy that might still be alive. I will let you know where they are. Be careful of my treasure."

Gabe stared at the sheer cliff wall, memorizing every detail leading to the cave's entrance. The steep slope, and layers of loose, dry soil and slick clay, could be a problem. Getting to the cave would be easy enough, but carrying the treasure out, would not.

"What do you mean you will drop me off?"

Blue just pulled back his lips and bared his long, sharp teeth.

The ride to the top of the butte terrified Gabe, he kept his eyes closed for most of the trip, and a death grip on one of Blue's talons. Although he could not see the ground, he knew it was a long way down. Gabe felt Blue's grip loosen.

"Jump."

Gabe let go, landed hard and tumbled. After making sure nothing was broken, he walked to the edge and looked down. There were four campfires at the base of the butte. He could see several buildings off into the shadows. A wagon loaded with supplies was next to one of the buildings. He could smell bacon and beans simmering. Hunger pangs began anew. A fight broke out between two of the men, their voices drifting upward. "Black Boots," he thought. "You're mine. Do you hear that Blue? He's mine."

"I hear you little man. He's yours."

The climb down was steep, the rocks loosened under his feet. Gabe froze, his heart pounded, as he heard Black Boots shout. "Someone's up on the butte." Gabe crouched down as a bullet ricocheted ten feet below him, another hit above and to his right showering him with rocks and sand. After a few minutes of silence, Gabe continued toward the small cave guided by Blue's keen eyes. Gabe squeezed through the narrow entrance.

"I'm in."

"Good, now it's my turn."

Gabe, had a clear view of the destruction below. Shouts, screams, and gunfire echoed throughout the canyon. Blue, was death on wings. It was hard to keep track of where he was from second to second. His speed and acrobatics made him almost invisible in the black of night. You can't shoot what you can't see. The thunderous, fiery hailstorm below consumed men and buildings alike, even the earth seemed to melt in Blue's wake. Just as quickly as the raging terror started, the silence that followed was unnerving.

"Sleep well little man. I will let you know when you can leave the cave."

The cave was black as pitch. Gabe unfurled his bedroll and lay down to sleep, only he couldn't sleep, something was trying to bite his foot. As he jumped up, he hit his head on the cave's ceiling.

"She will not hurt you," a soft feminine voice whispered."

Rubbing his head, Gabe's eyes scanned the dark cave. A tall slender shadow approached. Gabe reached for his knife.

"You won't need that. We have no weapons."

"Who are you?" Gabe asked.

"I am called Winona (first born daughter) of the Lakota Sioux chief, I am the keeper of the egg. Do you have any food? We are very hungry and thirsty."

"I do have some food and will gladly share. I am Gabe of the Oglala Sioux. How have you survived without food or water?"

"While the white men slept, I would sneak down and take what I needed. My people could not help me once the white men came, for fear of revealing me. Now you have come to take us away. Thank you."

"Us?"

Winona smiled. "Ruby tried to see if you were good to eat."

"Why did you not try to sneak away?"

"The egg was too big for me to carry down the hill. Blue would be angry if I broke the egg."

"I will carry the egg down."

"No, it is too late, the egg has already broken open, but you can carry Ruby. Ruby, come meet Gabe. You cannot eat him."



"Well, well, well. What have we here? The half-breed and a squaw." At the sound of Black Boots voice, Ruby scuttled back into the shadows.

Black Boots stood in the cave's entrance with a pistol pointed at them both.

Gabe spun and ducked, kicking out his right foot, knocking Black Boots to the ground. He then quickly jumped up and kicked Black Boots in the ribs.

"That was for my mother, and this one is for me." As Gabe's foot lashed out a second time, Black Boots stood, grabbed Gabe's foot and tried to flip him. Gabe back flipped and landed upright on both feet. Black Boots reached frantically for his gun, but wasn't quick enough. Winona stepped on his hand as Gabe wrenched the gun free and used it to knock him out.

"Winona, are you alright?"

"Yes. You were very brave."

Gabe could feel the heat rush to his face, and was glad it was dark.

"Blue, why did you not warn me about Black Boots?"

"You said he was yours."

"So I did. See you in the morning Blue."

After tying up Black Boots, Gabe and Winona prepared to share a meal. As they ate, Grim regained consciousness. He lay perfectly still waiting for the right opportunity to get even with the half-breed and the squaw. He had plans for them both. Grim watched as the two sat around the small fire eating their meal. The squaw was young, no more than sixteen. He liked them young. She was good looking for a squaw, slight of build yet already blossoming into womanhood. He was already picturing her screams as he forced himself upon her. He liked it when they screamed and fought. She looked like a fighter, but first he had to dispatch the breed. Maybe I'll let the breed live long enough to watch what happens between a man and a woman. Wouldn't that be fun.

The breed was big and strong Grim thought, but not skilled enough to take him on. Grim had years to hone his skills. They didn't call him Grim for kissing ass. They called him Grim for kicking ass. The breed got lucky. If that squaw hadn't interfered things would have ended differently. Slowly Grim reached down inside his boot and pulled out a small concealed knife. After cutting his bonds Grim waited, and watched.

Hidden in the shadows Ruby watched the strange new threat. She could read his thoughts, but couldn't understand much of the words, yet she could feel the hatred behind them directed at her friends. Hopefully, I will be allowed to eat this one, she thought.

Grim waited until the early rays of sun cast just enough light into the cave for him to see where the breed lay. He needed to take out the half-breed while he still slept. The breed is quick, but I am more experienced.

Gabe was the first to wake, and walked toward the cave opening. Grim remained quiet as he watched the Breed get closer. He waited until Gabe stepped outside. In a split second he leaped up and pushed Gabe off the cliff. As Gabe fell toward the rushing ground he could hear Winona's scream. Gabe scrambled for purchase, reaching out for anything he could grab onto. Resigned to his fate Gabe relaxed as he fell. When he finally hit bottom, he was shocked to find the ground was soft.

"Am I dead? Why ain't I dead?"

"Because you landed on me idiot. That hurt, next time you decide to jump off a cliff and kill yourself, a little warning would be nice."

"I did not jump off the cliff, I was pushed. I need to get back up there Winona and Ruby are in danger."

"Why didn't you say so? Stay on my back, i'll drop you off just above the cave. You can then climb down unnoticed from there just like yesterday. Hold on tight."

Gabe didn't enjoy flying, he preferred keeping both feet on the ground, but it is urgent he get back up to the cave. Climbing up the cliff would take too long, he would also be vulnerable if Black Boots looked down over the edge of the cliff. He had to protect Winona and Ruby, Black Boots is too dangerous to keep alive. He didn't want what Black Boots did to his mother, be forced upon Winona. Gabe closed his eyes and held a death grip on a spike protruding from Blue's back while Blue circled around the cliff, avoiding the entrance to the cave. As Gabe slid down off Blue's back, he searched for anything he might be able to use as a weapon, but the plateau had been swept clean from centuries of gale force winds.

As he descended the same treacherous path he followed the night before, it amazed him that he hadn't fallen to his death in the dark. The path he followed did not exist, how was Blue able to guide his descent while flying overhead in the blackness of night? Gabe was able to hear voices as he got closer to the cave's entrance. Although he was still to far away to understand the words, his heart filled with joy because that meant Winona was still alive.

The opening to the cave was small, barely five hands tall. There was a shelf that protruded past the cave entrance about one and a half of a grown man's foot length, which helped hide the entrance from below. He knew that once inside the cave, it opened up and there were only a few areas where he could stand without bumping his head. At nearly six foot tall, he knew he stood several inches above Black Boots. Except, without a father figure to teach him the fighting skills needed to defend himself he was still at a disadvantage. He needed to be smarter the next time he fought Black Boots and be careful not to hit his head while battling the evil man. The skills he had as a family provider would not aide him in a battle. Standing beside the cave opening he tried to listen to what was being spoken He needed to know Black Boot's plan.

"Where is my gun squaw?" Hand it over, and maybe I won't kill you. Since Winona didn't speak the white man's tongue, she just kept shaking her head, and making sure she kept the campfire between them, but the fire was getting low. It would soon be useless as a barrier between them. She was afraid for herself and Ruby. With Gabe dead, the baby dragon was vulnerable. This white man was evil and wouldn't hesitate to kill her.
There was very few branches left to keep the fire going, and too far away for her reach. Once she left the safety of the fire she became easy prey. Before the white man came here, her tribe would keep replenishing her supplies including firewood. Once the white men came, and set up camp, she could no longer make a fire, and the nights were getting colder.

Gabe realized, if Black Boots didn't have his gun, his chances to defeat his enemy became more favorable. But Black Boots still had a knife and
Gabe was weaponless. If Winona could lure him to the cave opening he could surprise Black Boots and toss him over the edge of the cliff. He had to let Winona know he was still alive and what he planned to do.

"Blue."

"Yes little man, What is it you need from me?"

"I have thought of a plan to save Winona and Ruby. Could you please contact them and explain it to them?"

"I understand, I have been listening to your thoughts and think it might be
the only possible solution. I will remain at the bottom of the cliff just in case one of you should fall."

Winona's eyes opened wide when Blue explained Gabe's plan and a huge smile spread across her face.

"Why are you suddenly smiling? Are you beginning to understand the plans I have for you and me? I will have you trembling beneath me little one. Oh, I can hardly wait for the pleasure I will get from your pain. I am very good at causing pain.''

"I understand Blue where is Gabe?"

"He is standing to the right side of the entrance. You will flee the cave and go to your left, then flatten your self against the surface of the cliff Gabe will do the rest. Do not let that man touch you. If you should fall, you will be still be safe, just like Gabe was. Ruby will cause a distraction long enough so you run away."

"Thank you Blue, I will do as you command."

"I have faith in you Blue the Mighty Thunderbird, and in Gabe the fearless, and you in too my precious Ruby.."

As soon as the screech sounded in the back of the cave, and the white man moved toward it, Winona sprinted toward the entrance opening and did as she was told.

Seeing Winona escaping infuriated Black Boots. He watched as she turned left and knew it was a dead end. He took his time approaching with confidence, which was his undoing. Not knowing that Gabe stood to the right of the entrance he turned left to face Winona who kept a smile on her face. When he raised his hand to slap that smile away, Gabe grabbed his enemies wrist, spun Black Boots around punched him in the jaw and pushed him over the edge.

*********************


In the morning Winona strapped Ruby to Gabe's back, and led the way down the narrow trail. Gabe's back and shoulders ached, Ruby was not light. When they reached the bottom Blue was waiting. When Winona unstrapped Ruby, Gabe finally got to see Blue's treasure. The baby dragon, a miniature red version of Blue, stretched its wings and waddled over toward Blue. Blue caressed his daughter with his huge wing.

"Blue, where is your mate?" Gabe asked.

"She is no longer, she was killed by these men. The Lakota found her body and hid her egg. They have protected it for six of your moon cycles. The temperature in the cave was just right to hatch the egg. The Lakota warriors were away fighting the white soldiers when these men came here. Winona was left alone. The tribe had to abandon their camp or be slaughtered. I needed to find help. You did well little man."

Winona and Gabe stayed until Ruby was strong enough to fly away with Blue.

In time, their two hearts beat as one. When they found Winona's tribe, they asked her chief if they could wed. Now a little papoose named Blue Silver Wings roams the Lakota plains.




6063
© Copyright 2012 super sleuth (babchia7 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1876851-OBLIVION