*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1881764-Interview---Review-Good-Manners
Rated: ASR · Editorial · Other · #1881764
Once a book is released, what should an author do in interviews and reviews?
         Once a person has a book released, interviews and reviews come calling, or we hope they do. However, we, as authors, have a few obligations when we give information for a review or an interview. I want to discuss just two of them.

A sig given as gift.


Good Manners for Reviews and Interviews


         Your book is out, finally. You're excited and full of expectations. People want to review your book and to interview you. Often you are asked for a summary of your book for interviews and/or reviews. You sit down and write answers to questions for interviews. You write a summary of your book. You're prepared to "face" the world to promote your baby, finally delivered after such a long wait. But, what should you include or not include in an interview or summary?

         First, in a summary, never give away the whole plot. Give a blurb such as found on the back of a book, maybe add a few more details, but not much more. You want people to read your book. Therefore you want to tease them with enough to cause them to want to know more, for them to want to read your book. Only in a synopsis for an agent or a publisher/editor do you want to give the whole condensed story.

         Now about interviews, you always need to include a link or links where your book can be purchased. For example if I were giving information for one of my books, I might write Stolen can be found on the 4RV bookstore site (http://tinyurl.com/4RVStore), from Amazon and Barnes & Noble, and through brick 'n mortar stores.

         Your publisher probably promotes you and your book, so you need to be sure to mention the company in return. Most people, when they see a book promoted and no publisher given, think the book is self-published. If you're not self-published, why would you want people to think you are? If you are self-published, you don't need to mention that unless you want to do so. By giving information, at the least the name of your publisher, you are also thanking the people involved for taking a chance on you and your work.

         It never hurts to give credit to people who helped you reach your goal. Did you have an exceptional editor? Let readers of your interview and/or review know. Did an artist give you an outstanding cover or illustrations or both? Share the information. A bit of recognition makes most people happier.

         None of us have a nearly perfect book without the help of others.


Writing from W.Com


 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor

An Interview with my Grandmother  [E]
A paper I wrote after interviewing my grandmother.
by NAME-ME

http://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/101_reviewing_guidelines
 What makes you stop?  [E]
What makes you stop reading an item? What stops you from rating and reviewing it?
by The Writer

 Invalid Item  []

by A Guest Visitor




Words from Our Readers


         My editorial last month, on the death of soap operas due to poor writing, brought in several comments:

StephBee - House Targaryen
Vivian, you nailed. Soap Operas have recycled the same writers for different shows. They bring nothing fresh to the daytime drama and have only helped in their demise. It pains me to see soaps die, as I have fond memories, but perhaps it's time.

Connor
Good read. I agree about US Soaps. They are dying because the people writing them do not care anymore. Just a job before their belief they will move up to Primetime. Here in Britain, The soaps continue to perform well and give us believable stories. Same with Australia.

bertiebrite hoping for peace
I find that there is really very little good writing on any series on TV. It is truly "a vast wasteland." I can't stand watching most dramas, formulaic writing that steal plots from one another so that you may see the same story on four different shows, inane "cop" shows with the over used rehash of killing and sorrow, and not one good sci-fi or western drama. No variety. I don't like TV, the writing is unbearable to me. I have seen some inovative shows with good writers, but they only last about three weeks then POOF! they're gone.


chicadee
I found this very interesting.I agree I don't know where these people come up with these things.
I watch one soap that is The Young and The Restless,I've been watching that since it started in 1973 or 4.Sometimes I wonder why I keep watching.

worksbyplc
It really is too bad that the writing got so poor. I've said all along that if a show has good writers ANYTHING is possible! That goes for ALL shows.

D.L. Fields
In the early '80's my sister and I got hooked on General Hospital It didn't take long to realize the plots were silly (really, a weather machine?)and didn't address real problems. Glad I gave them up.

Sheep
Hey Viv: Just wanted to give my comment on your story,in today's world the Soap's has they are called are suppose to captivate your mind and make you feel in a fairytale land. Now when the tale begans to catch up with the head, that is where the problem comes in a the fairytale is too real,almost your everyone's life. This is when the writers are cut and the show began to fold, but we do hope that the Bold and the Beautiful will remain on at least alittle while longer. Great piece.
JW

LJPC - the tortoise
Hi Vivian!
I must agree with you about the soaps. When I watched thirty or so years ago, I was riveted. Now the old actors and their vibrant stories have been supplanted by teens and ridiculous plot-lines. Even the older actors seem to be replaying the same old conflicts they were having thirty years ago. But it's not just the soaps. Too much television and movies have gaping plot holes and unrealistic characters now.
~ Laura

Ryan Jentzsch
My mom was a die hard fan of Days of Our Lives. But their inability to end a plot line made it unbearable. At least the acting is somewhat decent, but without story all you have is a dead stinky fish. Thanks for sharing.

Walt J. Rimmer
(Wait a minute, you're talking about B&B. Man, that story sucked.)
I watched off and on soap operas just because my mother did and I would be mean and make fun of the characters every now and then. But for years, mainly since the death of Bill Bell, we've both sat there and had serious discussions about the writing. Honestly, it wasn't that bad until a few years ago. What happened is they wanted to put on talk shows instead of the soap operas, but couldn't justify removing a show so many years in with such high ratings. The writers listened to fan feedback for a long time, but in the past three years, stopped doing what fans asked and started doing the opposite, making characters change like nothing and making stories that were predictable yet made no sense at the same time. They like to hire young kids, do rapid aging and mess with history that has been stable for decades. It's not that soap operas are dying, they are being intentionally killed.

jackflash
Fine newsletter, though I wonder why you didn't punctuate it better.

You have to wonder: with all of the people wanting to write, why is it so hard to come up with good writing?

When I was a young officer pulling alerts in MMIII, soaps were all the rage amoung young men with military downtime. Not old grannies, young men.

What happened?

         This I have to answer directly: My punctuation was correct. As far as why good writing is on the decline: People must 1. learn how to write correctly, 2. learn and use correct grammar, 3. be willing to take criticism and edit and revise, revise, revise, 4. getting published no matter how poor the writing may be is too easy.

blunderbuss
I agree with all that you said and that story line you described is incredibly stupid. It isn't just the story lines though - it's the way people talk to each other; really aggressive, often abusive (to 'friends'). In real life I cannot believe that anyone would be stupid enough to stay 'friends' with another person who abused them in this way.
Apart from that, who are these stories written for? I cannot fathom how the writers are aiming at any 'market' out there at all. So why do they make these programmes? They do have some audience figures, so what are the people who watch them getting out of it?
Any enlightenment on this, would be gratefully received!

Sweethonesty ailed the Soap issue and why it died a sad death. Once the story lines stopped being simple and the problems became overwhelming the shows started a downhill slide. I was a fan for many years and often wished I could have written what they so badly messed up. Thanks Sweethonesty

(arpita92)
Well, I come from India, and of course different shows are aired at our place. However, most of the problems remain same. The condition of soaps are deteriorating. There are flat characters and poor dialogue. The stories are often based on bogus assumption rather than reality. Wish we had better ones that would help us to think and write better.

Shaara
The only soap opera I ever watched was Dark Shadows. I used to run home from 7th grade to catch it. Had a super crush on Barnabus. Guess I'll have to view one of the shows and see if it was the writing that attracted me or the dark, mysterious vampire. LOL

Enjoyed your story.

Shaara

         I watched Dark Shadows and the Edge of Night every day after school from the time I was about the same age.

Thanks for joining me again this issue. See you again in about four weeks.

Vivian


© Copyright 2012 Vivian (vzabel at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1881764-Interview---Review-Good-Manners