*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1882151-Point-of-View
Rated: E · Short Story · Family · #1882151
Roland was having a miserable day and all in front of his grandson.
“Would I lie?”

“Come dear. It can’t be that bad.”

Roland spied his grandson, Brandon, jumping from the boat, scurrying up the bank, and wrapping a rope around the trunk of a small maple.

“First, I got the pickup stuck about four feet from the end of our driveway. I had to flag down Charlie to pull us out. Next I nearly sunk the boat putting it in the water. I had to slam on the brakes as I misjudged how close I was to the edge of the water. We had to bail it out before we even got in it. Next, while teaching the boy how to cast I caught the hook in a nearby sycamore’s branches. I had to cut the line. And last I flooded the engine and have spent the last hour cleaning out the fuel filter. I reek of gasoline.”

“Now, now. Brandon doesn’t care about all that.”

“I feel like a fool. An old fool. And you know what they say about those.”

Brandon secured the knot and hopped back into the craft. It rocked and made Roland a bit queasy.

“Who ya talking to, grandpa?”

“Grandma.”

“Can I talk to her?”

“Sure.” He handed the cell phone to Brandon.

“Hi grandma. (pause) Yeah. I’m having a great time! The grass was wet and the truck tire got stuck, but Grandpa knew just what to do. He flagged a guy down and they got it pulled out. Then, Grandpa realized the boat was about to go into the water with the ramp really slick and saved it just in time. I even helped get the water out. He showed me how to cast really good, and he even fixed the boat motor! Grandpa knows lots of stuff!”

Roland’s smiled lasted all evening.


299 Words


Flash Story
Limited to 300 Words
Must contain the line: "Would I lie?"
© Copyright 2012 BScholl (the0hawk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1882151-Point-of-View