*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1891628-Trip-Down-Memory-Lane
by Amay
Rated: E · Other · Contest Entry · #1891628
Alice finally decides to go to her high school reunion -Coloring the World Entry
The valet opened Alice’s car door. The last time she’d been to this grand hotel was over thirty years ago for her senior prom. My how things have changed. The hotel was so much grander now than back in the day. It had definitely been upgraded to a five star hotel with all the bells and whistles.

Three years ago, she would have never even considered going to her high school reunion. In fact, she’d never attended any of her reunions. They were all too expensive and her husband simply refused to ‘Waste money on frivolous events’.

He’d been gone for two years now and Alice decided it was time to do something for herself. She didn’t come to recapture her glory days, as some would call them. She didn’t even consider her high school days like that. To her those days came later, watching her sons grow into responsible family men was so much more important than her teen years. She came with the hopes of reuniting with some of her old friends that she’d lost touch with over the years.

Alice checked in and received her Alumni Packet. She shook her head as she read the list of events for the next three days as she headed to the elevator. The bell pinged and she walked into the elevator. “So typical: Golf Tournament, Tennis Tournament, Family Picnic on Treasure Island, family of me… maybe this was just too frivolous after all,” she mumbled to herself. “Alumni check in started at 3:45 on ‘The Veranda’.” She glanced at her watch. “Good, I have a few minutes to get settled.” She looked up, her cheeks flushed as she let out an exasperated sigh, “Oh my goodness, Eddie. How long have you been watching me talking to myself?”

Eddie chuckled, “Since you let the door just about shut on my hand.”

“Oh no! I’m so sorry! I was just so…”

“Engrossed?” he finished her sentence, just like he’d done when they were dating. “I saw you come in, and I just had to make sure it was really you.”

She smiled, “How’s Sue?”

The door opened, “Here, let me get your bag. She passed about five years ago, cancer.”

“Oh, Eddie, I’m so sorry. I had no idea.”

“How about you, what have you been up to?”

“Same old thing, finished college, got married, taught for thirty years, two kids, four grandkids, lost my husband a couple of years ago, too. You know, just living life. Here’s my door.”

Eddie stopped, took her key and opened the door.

“Eddie, you haven’t changed a bit.”

He turned and laughed, “I’m bald, fifty pounds heavier, and a whole lot wiser, I hope.” He turned to leave and kissed her gently on the cheek. “I’ll see you on The Veranda?”

“Most definitely.”

She the closed door and sighed. She reminisced about their prom. Their first awkward dance, the lyrics of their song, “Reunited” floated through her mind as she drifted back in time.

Prompt: Reunited
WC 500 of 500 limit
© Copyright 2012 Amay (amay5prm at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1891628-Trip-Down-Memory-Lane