*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1896502-LESSON-3---WRITING-ASSIGNMENT
Rated: E · Other · Travel · #1896502
LESSON #3 - WRITING ASSIGNMENT
These are the mountains we visited while on vaction. We had a memorable time there.


Visiting Moab, Utah, in 1997 was an adventure. Venturing up into the LaSalle Mountains nearby became memorable for me. These magnificent mountains are the tallest in the state and are covered with thick forests of aspen and fir trees.

On my first night camping out in all this surrounding beauty, I saw and heard wildlife up close and personal. These are the advantages when going off-road. However, it does have its dangers, which I became aware of when venturing into territory no one frequents.

After breakfast, I took pictures of my husband and two sons driving their four-wheelers down this steep path that led into the valley below. It was all so beautiful that I continued snapping pictures of the scenery. As I scanned and zoomed in on certain objects I wanted to see closer, I became involved in checking out the terrain in this manner when… Jeepers creepers, a large black bear appeared in my lens, looking way too close for comfort. Let me say that I almost lost my footing! While trying to keep my balance, my arms flew every which way, sending my camera out of my hands and rolling down the hillside.

What a sight I must have looked to the Mother Bear! She hadn’t moved nor looked threatening, but she was keeping an eye on me. I moved back a little on more stable ground and just watched her two little cubs chase each other in and out of the river. Oh, how I wanted to film them; but didn’t dare move towards my camera, Mother Bear would take that as threatening and come barreling up this hill after me.

Thankfully, she was below while I was on top of the mountain. I was sad when Mother Bear decided to move her family further down the riverbank. With her back turned, I slid down to retrieve my camera, checked to see if it was okay, and once more looked through the lens. I did get a picture of them walking away

Our family camped out for a week in the same spot. I spotted an elk, and a mule deer, heard the coyotes howling at night, and came across a fox scurrying in the woods. I busied myself taking pictures as my daughter, Gail, and I walked the many available trails. Marvin is a gold prospector, so, he panned or dredged for gold while our sons helped with moving the heavy equipment. They had protection with them, at all times, in case any black bears, bobcats, or cougars were lurking about.

448 words
© Copyright 2012 Jeannie (sjs55049 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1896502-LESSON-3---WRITING-ASSIGNMENT