*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1900442-Cold-Shoulder
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Horror/Scary · #1900442
Marianne liked to play 'hard to get'. Finally, I got her. Halloween Horror Contest Oct.'12
Note: This story was an entry for the October 2012 Halloween Horror Contest . To view the contest rules, click on Contest Rules:

******************************************************************************



Cold Shoulder

Indelible Ink


My first real kiss - I mean a kiss that really meant something to me, anyway - occurred when I was in seventh grade. I was in love with Marianne from the day I first met her. It's no exaggeration to say that from that day forward, my only goal - one which I swore I would achieve at virtually any cost - was to kiss my beloved Marianne. Immediately, I thought of her as my 'girlfriend' - even though she wasn't aware of it. Not at first, anyway. I was super shy. She was ADD - or something similar; I get confused by all of those 'attention' disorders - and I could never get the girl to hold still for fifteen lousy seconds so I could plant one on her lips. Yeah, it was frustrating.

She moved into the neighborhood maybe a year earlier - she was a grade ahead of me. She didn't go outside her home much - but not because she was shy like me. She was simply impossible to catch up to on the rare occasions I saw her. I think maybe she was manic depressive, because she was either running around like crazy or not to be found. Fortunately for me, after she had moved into town, she was in a 7th grade math class of mine which she needed to take since a few of her classes from out of state - Nebraska, I think it was - didn't meet all of our state's requirements. Crazy, huh? But I looked at it as a sign - as in 'proof positive' - that we were meant to be together. Anyway, I was obsessed with her from Day One. No joke, I was literally in love from that very first day. Maybe it's because she was a year older than me - really starting to 'develop' - if you know what I mean. In the class we attended together, fortunately, we didn't have assigned seats, and I bribed a girl who sat next to Marianne to switch seats with me. Well, actually I threatened her - scared her with some pretty detailed scenarios of what would happen if she didn't switch. There was no way I wasn't going to sit next to Marianne, so I simply did what I had to do. I would have done anything to have her in all my classes, but - trust me - having to settle for just one with her was still heaven on earth.

I think she liked me; she smiled at me a lot, but still, she was always running off, and I was getting frustrated. No, I mean really, really, frustrated. Yeah, yeah, I know we were pretty young, and I know many people would probably look at us at our age and think 'puppy love', but I was always convinced it was far more than silly kid stuff. And if I could ever get Marianne to just hold still for a stinking second, I'd have the opportunity to convince her. Then she'd see how I felt about her - about us.

My best opportunity to kiss the girl of my dreams finally came at a neighborhood gathering - a wake, actually. I knew she'd be there - everyone in the whole neighborhood was there. Part of my problem, understand, was - along with being so shy - was that to kiss Marianne like I wanted to, I had to get her alone for a few minutes to - you know - 'prepare her'. As with anybody as popular as Marianne, it was difficult to get all the 'stars to align' - so to speak. And, sure, it was a rather somber event, too, but I figured it was now or never. And it wasn't going to be 'never'.

Finally, the opportunity presented itself. I finally saw her by herself; she never saw me coming. I had to just do it or it wasn't going to happen. I went right up to her and closed my eyes about half-way. She didn't resist, and I could see her eyes were completely closed. That means, like, all systems 'go', right? I pressed my lips against hers - it was complete magic! She was chilly, but they keep these places cool like that - for obvious reasons. No matter, it was so special, I never wanted to leave the love of my life.  Not ever. My hand caressed her face, and slowly worked its way down the turtleneck to the soft mound of Marianne's right breast. It wasn't something I'd planned, by the way, it just happened. I was in total heaven. I wanted us to stay just like that...forever.

But, of course, that was impossible. Marianne's mother - the nosy bitch - caught us. Saw what was going on between the two of us and screamed an un-Godly scream - totally inappropriate - and that was the end of that. As I was being whisked away I looked back long enough to catch a final glimpse of Marianne, as they were closing the casket. That was just before Marianne's dad and older brother began punching and kicking the crap out of me. I loved her, for God's sake, and that's how you react to love? Needless to say, that was the first - and last - kiss for Marianne.

About a week earlier, I had become so frustrated in my quest to get Marianne alone - without success - I began dreaming up these hair-brained scenarios which might allow me to do so. As luck would have it, it all worked out in the end. Well, I ended up having to be much firmer with her than I ever anticipated, but I was having a hard time getting her to even stop and talk to me. Ultimately, I had to leave her with no choice but to listen.

Also, kudos to the funeral home people; they did a great job with the turtleneck sweater - it hid the strangulation marks on Marianne's beautiful neck. She looked awesome. I wanted to take a photo with my cell but ended up not having time to take it. Bummer.

It took some time to get over the loss of my girlfriend. Eventually I did, when I entered high school and another girl moved in from out of state. I got sucked in with Cindy, too, almost as bad as with my Marianne. I'm pretty picky, but when I find the right one, ain't nobody going to stop me.

Funny thing, too: Cindy was strangled pretty much just like Marianne. I didn't stick around for her funeral, though. Too many people with stupid questions. Starting to point fingers.

But, hell, that was almost ten years ago - old news, right? Besides, I like Wisconsin much more than I liked Pennsylvania, and I even think I may have met someone with potential here. An immigrant, from Canada of all places. Her name's Terecina - but I call her Terry, for short. Just like Marianne and Cindy, she's always on the go. But I'm confident I'll get my shot with her.

In fact, I guarantee it.


******************************************************************************



Words: 1193







© Copyright 2012 Indelible Ink (indelibleink at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1900442-Cold-Shoulder