*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1908741-Newtown-Elementary-School-Shooting-12-14
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1908741
Musings on the tragedy at Newton Elementary School
Newtown Elementary School Shooting 12-14-2012


What's on my mind?  All of the unnecessary pain and suffering inflicted by us on each other in this world.  Yesterday's catastrophe, the murdering of TWENTY-SEVEN (27) people caused almost anyone who heard of it pain and suffering.  If they had children, Mr. President Obama said it all "parents across the country will hug their children tighter and tell them that they love them tonight,...  WE should be doing that every night and every day.  CHILDREN should grow up SURROUNDED by LOVE, TAUGHT and SHOWN how to LOVE.  Even children with problems, coming from broken homes, living on or in the streets can be surrounded by love, taught and shown how to love! 

I came from a broken home.  My children came from a broken home, but I surrounded them with love (family and friends -- in and outside of the church).  I taught them that love should not hurt (even though it might sometime do just that), and when it does seek help -- get out -- start over, but don't hurt someone else to get even.  I showed them how to love every day.  I took in their friends and treated like they were mine.  I took in entire families, and did my best to make them feel at home.  I made meals and purchased food for my neighbors and most often had my children deliver it. 

Single parents sometimes get a bad rap!  "Oh he came from a broken home, his parents were separate." Or, "His or her mother raised her."  Some of the greatest success stories in the world are children coming out of broken homes and/or raised by "just" their mothers.  These STRONG women instill love and show their love and teach their children how to love.  So, it isn't the broken family or the single mother that is responsible for this nation's ills and tragedies.  LOOK DEEPER.

Prayer left school.  Discipline left home, got chased out of schools, and was replaced by armed guards/police.  Church became the enemy and parents stopped going and taking their children.  Detention centers, jails and other juvenile facilities became the disciplinarians for our children, and in at least one case the death of one of our children -- George Junius Stinney Jr. (October 21, 1929 – June 16, 1944) was executed in South Carolina at age 14.  Parenting became everyone else's responsibility, and no one's responsibility when anyone could have been responsible, and someone should have taken the responsibility!

Not saying that the Bible will save our children, but I KNOW from past experience and history, that when it was a guiding factor in AMERICA, we all felt safer, respected the rights of others, and NEVER had a SINGLE KILLING in school!  (I am not talking about racism, bombings, and the likes, but ordinary every day school the place we send our children and grandchildren and nieces and nephews, and cousins.)  At school you were safe.  Sister might have gotten a little zealous with her discipline or the assistant principal might have swung the paddle a little harder, if you happened to be Black or of another persuasion, but manners were in; pants were up; back talk was rare; unwanted pregnancies were down; parents respected the teachers and the schools; learning was going ON; and children were allowed to be children.  Not a one of us wanted our teachers to have to call our parents and give a bad REPORT!

In closing, let me again repeat the words of our President, Mr. Obama,  "And we’re going to have to come together and take meaningful action to prevent more tragedies like this, regardless of the politics."  AND imply that there is a remedy, and even be bold enough to suggest that we all know what it is, but we are so hell bent on being  "POLITICALLY CORRECT" that we can't see the forest for the trees.  We really have given up on raising our children!  We are letting them raise themselves, and that is unacceptable! 

NOT SUGGESTING ABUSE, BUT strongly favor discipline, accountability, and support from the village that we know look the other way when children act inappropriately for fear of what the children might say/do or what their parents are going to say or do to you, rather than how much support you will get for doing the right thing!

I say TAKE THE RISK, our children are worth it!
© Copyright 2012 G. B. Williams (mgmiles01 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1908741-Newtown-Elementary-School-Shooting-12-14