*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1909695-Religion-of-the-Rheia
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Other · Religious · #1909695
A short conversation establishing the basics of an alien religion and culture
Yu looked at the Rheian who sat across the table from her. Like almost all the species of the galaxy she was humanoid but typical of most officers in the Rheian'ala, the enormous fleet matched only in power by the Allonae Alliance, she was shorter than Yu at only five and a half feet. The leathery dark red skin and blackened forehead however, hinted at the fact that the alien was more than capable of tearing her apart if she so chose. The military orientated culture of the Rheian had little place for those not demonstrating excellence of physical fitness in its dealings with other cultures and so even the fact that Marnata was a diplomat ensured she was classed as a soldier first. Yu had long ago begun to accept the differences in culture between galactic races but their present conversation was new to her.

'The majority of human faiths see God as merciful in its execution.'

Marnata shrugged. 'Perhaps your God is.'

'Are you saying your view of God could be wrong?'

'No, that is not possible. But as our God is one way so yours may be another. Rula is not maker of the universe, only the Rheian.'

'How do you account for the creation of the universe then?'

'I believe you refer to it as the "Big Bang,"' shot back Marnata with the hint of a smile. Before Yu could interject she continued. 'The universe is beyond our understanding in its complexities. Rula is merely a part of that universe and created the Rheia.'

'But there's no evidence of Rula, is there?'

'We are here. Life for us may have started in the swamp like humans but it was Rula who caused the atoms and molecules to form as they did. We have known this since we were born.'

'But if all you've got is stories being passed down without scientific evidence then how can you know Rula exists?'

'How do you know your God exists?'

Yu didn't hesitate at the question. Like most UESCA science officers, she placed no stock in religious dogma. 'I don't believe.'

For her part Marnata wrinkled her nose in what Yu recognised as Rheia confusion. 'You are,' she paused looking for the word. 'You are lek'e. You do not believe in any God?'

'Atheist,' answered Yu. 'Most humans don't. There are still millions that subscribe to religion but there are thousands of variants and many more views of God. Some religions include many Gods.'

Marnata wrinkled her nose again. 'Clearly the universe knew your people would need considerable herding to grant you so many Gods. But as for your question, we do not need any more evidence than we have. We exist and the story of our creation is known to all Rheia. This story is passed down through the ages.'

'We have a term on Earth that applies. "Chinese whispers." Even with the best of intentions a tale that is told from one to another and so on will eventually become distorted and eventually the truth is lost.'

Marnata considered the point before responding with a hefty glug of the thick liquid in front of her. 'We are not Chinese. We do not lie.'

Yu ignored the opportunity to take offence, knowing it wasn't intended. Honesty was a crucial part of Rheia culture and arguing it was moot. After supping her own drink she returned to her original query. 'And Rula is a bad God.'

'"Bad" is insufficient. He is Rula. But he could be called a tyrant, yes. He made us in spite and set hardships against us from the start.'

'Why would any parent do that?'

'There are some that argue it is His plan to force us to better ourselves in order to continue our existence.' She offered the comment with the Rheia equivalent of a dismissive tone. 'Such believers are jur'e.'

Yu recognised the word as a potent insult. Jur'e were how the Rheia referred to those of their own that forsook the common view of religion, Rheia culture and scorned the military as a result. It was also used as a generic insult for anyone who was disliked by a Rheian.

Marnata continued. 'It is wrong to see him as a parent in the human sense though. Your families are built on the protection and upbringing of your youngers like ours, yes?'

Yu nodded assent reminding herself that 'love' was as alien to Rheia as 'jur'e' was to her.

'We do this to ensure survival. Any child lost is a travesty and a curse upon us because they have not had the chance to better the Universe through their actions. Their rhal'n, their "soul" is returned to the use of Rula who sets it against our survival. If they live long enough to better the world through virtuosity then their rhal'n is returned to the universe and makes it better for those that follow. Rula is no parent in that sense. He wishes our deaths so his own power will grow and he may twist the universe to his own delusion.'

Yu held back a bemused grin. The idea of a monotheistic faith where God was against his own creation was typically Rheian in its use of adversity. Given such a core belief, it was no surprise they'd built their lives on conflict. 'So what counts as virtuous behaviour then?'

Marnata shrugged again. 'The same things as humans would say. Glory in a noble cause is the best use of life.'

'Specifically...' Yu pressed the point.

'A life spent in military service to the Rheia, of course. Were you Rheia, your position as part of the UESCA fleet would be honourable.'

Yu shook her head. 'I'm a scientist and UESCA isn't a military body. It's there to administer our space trade.'

Marnata chuckled. 'And yet they control the largest military force your people have ever known.'

'That's for self-defence. Just in case...' Yu tailed off. Her thoughts had been immediate. The UESCA fleet was armed in case an alien race such as the Rheia invaded.

'In case your existence is threatened by others. The Rheian'ala is the same.

Yu couldn't hide her incredulity. 'The Rheian'ala attacks peaceful colonies. You attacked the Syndar colonies on the Vora belt only four years ago!' The Vora incident had been a Galactic clusterf**k for diplomatic relations and though Yu liked some individuals such as Marnata, it had caused her like most members of other species to view the Rheian'ala with distrust.

For her part, Marnata seemed as shocked by the opposition to the attack as her commanders had been when the diplomatic response began at the time. 'How are we supposed to defend our existence from Rula if we remain dormant? Staying still via inaction is a crime against the Universe itself. Our invasion of Vora helped all beings who will follow. Those Syndar that died in battle returned to the Universe and improved it. Non-combatants who did not fight were allowed to live and leave if they chose. We would not risk our future by sending lesser rhal'n to Rula for his pleasure.'

Yu had to admit that was true. Rheian culture was strongly opposed to the death of non-combatants but their unshaken view that the invasion was beneficial to all members of the galaxy because of their religious beliefs was troubling.

'But if Rula only created the Rheia then what business does he have taking the souls of Syndar?'

Marnata sighed as if the question was pointless. 'Humans need to eat. You cannot create food out of nothing; it must be grown or bred. Assume then, that Earth ran out of food. Would you starve rather than find food on other worlds that did not belong to you? Rala is the same. He will take what he can. If they exist, your Gods will have to stop him.'

Yu sat in silence for a longer time than usual as she contemplated the discussion before asking the obvious questions.

'So as an officer in UESCA my rhal'n would return to the universe and make it more perfect?'

Marnata nodded. 'Assuming your service has been virtuous, of course.'

'So what's to stop you killing me in the name of betterment?'

Marnata flashed a sharp grin. 'Nothing.'
© Copyright 2012 Chris Murray (cdmurray at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1909695-Religion-of-the-Rheia