*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1926260-Vacancy
by NYPen
Rated: E · Article · Opinion · #1926260
Unemployment article
← Hello world!

New outlook →

There’s A Vacancy

Posted on May 18, 2010          by Nypen



        Layoffs, downsizing, fired, pink slipped. The adjectives go on and on. We hear this all the time. People are let go from their jobs all the time. This makes way for newer, underpaid, unappreciated hires. Unfortunately, so many folks out there are desperate for jobs. A lot of people will take whatever comes their way. Some will sit by the sidelines and won’t take the initiative. I have a neighbor, name withheld to protect them,who sits on his patio doing nothing. He was fired from a county job which he held for 28 years. He didn’t go into detail as to the circumstances. I see him everyday, slouched over in his chair, beer cans surrounding him. I ask him how’s he doing? His reply is always the same – Things are not good. He says he’s depressed. I’m sorry, I don’t feel sorry for him.

        He can go out and find a job. He doesn’t want to. He wants to wallow in self-pity. Where is this gonna get him? I know he can change his attitude. I was laid off like the rest of the country. I didn’t just sit around. I went and looked for a job the next day. I went to the unemployment office, not to get benefits,but to find work. Fortunately, I found a job. I was in the right place at the right time.

      There are jobs out there. I understand it may not be the one that you have done in the past. It may be beneath you. When it comes down to it, you just have to do it. There are vacancies. You need to fill that vacancy. Keep on searching.Vacancies will always be part of the American job market. Let not this be a common situation. We can change our mindset. We can’t do it for each other. This has to be an individual change. I know we can’t control the layoffs, firings, pink slips, and downsizings. Pick yourself up and move on. We can beat big business at their game.

      Let’s not sit by the sidelines. Go out and find your place in the job market. Hey, you know what, do something with your talent. Some folks decided to do what their passion is. Maybe today is your day. What do you say?
© Copyright 2013 NYPen (nypen at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1926260-Vacancy