*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1928290-All-He-Needed---Winner
Rated: E · Other · Arts · #1928290
To stay or to run, that is the question.
Words = machine, bowl, hammer

Word count = 300



Leonardo's eyes swept the room. His scattered mess was an organized confusion. On the far table lay some of his favorite tools: bowls, hammers, paintbrushes, and an abundance of other paraphernalia, but today, he was going to work on his flying machine. After all, he was an engineer.

Luca Pacioli, his friend, and Salai, his pupil, burst into the room.

Salai's chest heaved. "Master, the French're using your Grand Horse for target practice."

"Grab your designs," Luca said, "we must leave."

Leonardo stared at them. They were right. Milan wasn't safe anymore. "Salai, quick, bar the door."

He stuffed tools into a canvas bag and turned to the mathematician. "Luca, grab my notebooks."

"Salai, careful with those paintbrushes!"

Leonardo scanned his workshop one last time. He could not leave his precious sketches. He picked up the one of Jean the Baptist – with the high cheekbones and sensual body of his young paragon.

Salai held an overfilled bag. "Where'll we go?"

"Venice," Leonardo said

"Mantua," Luca said, "until we get money for Venice."

A loud bang sounded on the door. "Open up."

"The French!" Salai hid behind Leonardo.

"The window!" Luca ran for the sill.

Leonardo glanced around his shop, his heart beating. Unfinished paintings lay against the wall. No matter. He had no money and needed a new sponsor. His paintings would have to stay, but he grabbed his study of the human body - a self-portrait - and tucked the Vitruvian Man inside his tunic.

The fist pounded again. Salai had already climbed out, and Luca had his precious notebooks. Another bang. Leonardo shook his head and sprinted for the window.

It did not matter where they went, Mantua, Venice, or even back to Florence. He had his hands and his brain. That was all he needed.



© Copyright 2013 Tadpole1 (tadpole1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1928290-All-He-Needed---Winner