*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1928314-Blood-Brothers
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Dark · #1928314
Stevie warned Lance not to look, and swore he'd be sorry if he did. April '13


******************************************************************************



Blood Brothers

Indelible Ink



"Stevie...I'm starving to death, and this blindfold is so tight my eyes feel like they're on fire. I beg you - loosen it up - at least a little."

It was close to twenty years since Lance had last spoken to Stevie Harrison. Back then, Lance was seven years old; Stevie was eight. Lance lived a couple of doors up the road from Stevie, and they had been best friends from the day they'd met. 'Blood brothers', in fact, as they had even gone so far as to pledge everlasting loyalty to each other. After using Stevie's Cub Scout knife and trading small cuts above the inside of the others right hand, they then pressed their weeping wrists tightly together so that they'd swap some crimson DNA.

About a year later, when Lance went over to Stevie's house to play, he heard what sounded like a puppy weakly whimpering in a field behind Stevie's back yard. When he went to investigate, Lance was instantly sickened by what he saw: A collie pup, which looked like the same animal owned by a little girl down the street, covered in blood and barely able to move - let alone yelp. Stevie knelt over the tortured puppy with a sharp kitchen knife, and what shocked Lance more than anything else was that Stevie was laughing in response to every whimper which the distressed animal emitted.

Lance attempted to keep his reaction to Stevie's deed - now churning violently in his stomach - from shooting up and out of his esophagus. "Stevie...What are you doing?" Lance shrieked.

Caught off-guard, Stevie fumbled about for a moment, trying to shield the bloody animal from Lance's view, then stammered, "It..It was hit by a car; I need to put it out of its misery."

Aware that Lance was stunned by the sight of all that was happening, Stevie pretended to stroke the neck of the animal and shouted to his friend, "Look away, Lance - you don't want to see this. Look away now, or you'll be sorry..."

Lance turned and did so - briefly - but looked back in time to see the smile return to Stevie's face while he took his time slitting the throat of the soon-to-be at-peace canine. 



*    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *



Though Lance was not sure how he did it, Stevie had managed to break into Lance's countryside home, and overpowered Lance as he was sleeping. Now lying in his own excrement, with hands bound tightly to the headboard's frame and his vision obscured by an excruciatingly tight blindfold, Lance heard the sound of footsteps approaching. At first he objected to the warm spoon pressed against his lips, but soon offered no resistance to a thick, gristle-laden mush that entered his mouth.

"How does that taste, my friend? Maybe you'd like to go tattle to my father...again?"

Lance turned from the peppering of spittle which sprayed through the toothless gaps of his former pal's mouth. He knew Stevie was referring to the fact that Lance had run home that day and told his parents what had happened to Lucy's puppy, and how Stevie in turn received such a ferocious beating from his alcoholic father, he couldn't stand up straight for weeks.

"You betrayed our trust, Lance old boy," Stevie whispered quietly as he finished feeding him, "and remember, I warned you not to look at the dog, yet you did anyway. I couldn't allow further betrayal to happen, so I removed your eyeballs while you were passed out. There wasn't much in the fridge to eat, so I sauteed your eyes for your lunch..."

Lance's urge to throw up was overwhelming, and he screamed and thrashed about with the realization of what he'd just consumed. He twisted his hands violently in an attempt to free his wrists from that which bound him, and soon his warm blood cascaded down both arms.

"Well, old buddy, you saved me a step. Being blood brothers and all, the next step was to purge your body of my blood  - I guess I should have mentioned that under the cloth binding is thin piano wire, and that struggling might lead to this." Stevie shrugged. "The problem is, we have to replace the blood coming out of your body with something else." Stevie hooked up an inverted bottle of a clear fluid next to the bed and plunged the attached IV needle into Lance's vein. "Figured I'd save the mortician some trouble, although this might hurt a little since it's formaldehyde."

Had Lance still been capable of sight, he would have recognized the smile on Stevie's face.

******************************************************************************



Words: 782









© Copyright 2013 Indelible Ink (indelibleink at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1928314-Blood-Brothers