*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1928816-Darkbladers-video-game-list
Rated: 13+ · Other · Other · #1928816
This is the list of some video games I played and my opinions on them
I decided to do this list because I already have a list of anime I watched, so I thought that why won't I do another one for video games? That's not the list of everything I ever played, because it would be waaay too long. The list has a random order, and the games aren't sorted in any way. If the game doesn't have my opinion under it or rate, it doesn't mean I won't add it later.


Mass Effect (Trilogy) 10/10
This is probably my favourite game series of all time. The story is great, characters are memorable, and it's just so awesome. The choices that can change something, really good mix of RPG with shooter and more. I even forgive the very disappointing ending of the third one(It was later fixed in a free Extended Cut DLC, but a bad first impression remained. Why wasn't the ending like this in the first place? I think everyone knows the answer: EA games *Imperial March music from Star Wars plays* Company well known for rushing the games to release them faster, cutting content from games and releasing it as paid DLC and overall treating customers like walking wallets. They already managed to destroy few game franchises because of that, luckily Mass Effect somehow managed to be great even with their evil influence... Which I can't say about Dragon Age 2...). I can't even count how many times I played through the ME and ME 2... These games are just so great. Bioware did a great job on this series. What's more to say? We have a galaxy to save!


Alpha Protocol 7-/10
Another mix of shooter and RPG, but... oh my god, those bugs... An espionage RPG with shooter was a really good idea, but it was either really rushed or made by some beginners team... We have choices that actually have impact on the events, the story is pretty good and characters are OK but... the most enemies AI is almost non-existent(Their usual tactic is "Stand in place like an idiot and shoot, until you die"), although on the other times they can notice you even though you were behind them, and not even close to them... But still their usual tactic makes the game really easy even on the highest difficulty setting(The only problems can be the bosses, but if you have a special skill for the pistol they are rather easy too.). So why I gave it 7-? Because even with those flaws I found myself really enjoying the game, for some reason. If it only was done better it could be a really awesome game...


Far Cry 3 9-/10
A very good game, one of the best FPS of the last year. Huge islands to roam around, beautiful graphics and Vaas(Did I ever tell you the definition of insanity?) are the best points of this game. Some people say it's like Skyrim with guns... I thing that's exaggeration, but it's still really good. Skinning animals actually has some use unlike the recent Assassin's Creed 3 where you could only sell them for money that isn't needed anyway. Here you can upgrade your places for weapons, grenades, ammo or drugs to heal yourself, enhance your senses or do other things...
There's a lot of stuff to do, for example you can look for letters left by japanese soldiers during WW2 and some other things. You can climb on radio towers to uncover things on your map(Assassins Creed much?) and unlock new weapons(You can also upgrade your owned weapons).
It's a very good game, then why "only" 9-? Well... because there aren't any choices during the actual game(Excepting maybe for the tactic to approach enemy camp), there's one choice at the end but I won't spoil it. Also I encountered a few weird glitches sometimes (For example a tree suddenly grew in the middle of the road, and then disappeared... that was strange...), Also once when I was attacking enemy camp an enemy got stuck inside a rock, and I couldn't shoot him... But those are only little things that probably got fixed already.
Also I will repeat what almost everyone said already: Vaas is an awesome villain, he should be the video game bad guy of the year. He reminds me of Heath Ledger's Joker in "The Dark Knight". It's the awesome kind of mad psychopath, that you really like and hate at the same time. But because of that the game's "main" villain comes rather weak... That's right, Vaas isn't the main villain(Even though the cover of the box might suggest that), the main villain is a Tony Montana parody named Hoyt Volker, I won't reveal much about him but he is really weak character compared to Vaas.
Anyway, the game is really good, definitely worth checking out if you like FPS. This is one madness that it's worth diving into!


XCOM:Enemy Unknown 9/10


Saints Row 2 and The Third 8+/10


Scribblenauts Unlimited 7+/10
When you look at the images you think: "It's a game for children, why would I buy it?". But it's not right to resign from this game just because how it looks(Okay, to be honest I actually thought it's only for children too until I saw "Gametime with Smosh" with it on youtube.). In the game you basically need to help people using your magic notebook. When you write something in it, then it appears (Seriously you can write "Giant flying rainbow toilet" it will appear and you will be even able to fly on it...). You can seriously write almost anything and it will appear. The are usually multiple ways to help someone so it only depends on your creativity(For example a surgeon needed a tool to operate... so I gave him a katana... Obviously right? A guy needed a vehicle to ride with his girlfriend... I gave him a "giant flying rideable baby", I bet his girlfriend was really impressed.) This game really can give a lot of fun if you are creative.

Fun Fact: The narrator of the intro and outro is Jennifer Hale, the same person who did voice acting for Female Commander Shepard in all Mass Effects.


Kamidori Alchemy Meister 8+/10


Kara No Shoujo 0/10
I know many people probably disagree or call me an idiot(If anyone who played it, actually reads this...), but I HATE this game. I can't see a reason why it even exists. I know the authors probably wanted to make a deep, dark, artistic, deadly serious criminal story, but there's my question: Why? Are games meant to make you feel depressed, or like an asshole? (If you actually try to save the future victims of the murderer, you get murdered as well, there's no way to save anyone. The game basically tells you "You actually want to help people? Die!") You also get to see some truly "artistic" imagery: dismembered corpses (and you can even learn what happened just before their deaths from the murderer's point of view... Sorry, but I'm not interested in reading thoughts of a guy cutting high school girl's stomach open and touching her internal organs... Dear creators! It's sort of disgusting for normal people, you know?!), decaying corpses and more corpses!
Oh, and get this, even in the so called "best" ending our main hero(Who is a detective by the way) saves the main heroine but she ends up being crippled for life because of having her arms and legs cut off...(In the "true" ending she is kidnapped by the murderer and her fate is unknown. While in other ending she dies...) What the fuck?! Seriously, are the creators emo necrophiles with dismemberment fetishes?! Because thet's how it looks like! As I said with "Densetsu no Yuusha to Densetsu" I don't mind hardcore gore or depressing moments IF it's well explained, or has good reasons. Well... this game does not!(In my opinion. I know a lot of people think it's a beautiful game and they probably think there's a good reason for all of that. I respect their opinions, even though I can't understand them.)
If there's anything likeable here, those would be the hentai scenes. Why? Because they are well done (Luckily, no necrophilia or dismemberment fetishes here. But I won't give it better rate just for h-scenes...), and most of them leads you to a dead end and you return to the menu with a wonderful option to quit the game and forget about it.


To The Moon 9+/10
I think I already wrote about this game in my notebook, when I finished it, but I will write something again. This is a beautiful game, something that pathetic "Kara no Shoujo" wanted to be and failed miserably(It's a little unfair to compare the two because they are rather different, but screw that, both of them aimed to be beautiful and somehow artistic so in this way they are similiar.). Before a start a litany about it's good sides let's say what is not so good. Well... The graphics could be better(But have to say it's hard to imagine this game in more advanced graphics), and it has basically no replayability. But when you play it the first time it doesn't matter. This game tells us a story of life of dying old man named Johnny, who called a company that can alter dying people memories so that, they will think they had a perfect life and pass away with a smile on their faces. We will see many sad, and moving moments in all stages of Johnny's life. But unlike a certain thing *looks at Kara no Shoujo* it's all well balanced with funny, humorous moments(Mostly thanks to Dr. Neil Watts, one of the two main characters). All of it is made even better by the wonderful music composed mostly by the game's creator Kan "Reives" Gao. I'm not usually into this kind of music, but I really liked it, it really makes the game even better.
I have to admit it's the only game, at which I genuinely felt like crying near the end(Especially at the part where the song "Everything's alright" by Laura Shigihara started playing, it was just incredible.)
They say there will be a sequel, I wonder what it will be about this time?


Persona 3 Portable 8+/10
The game is a mix of RPG, and Visual novel. It's simply the best PSP game in my opinion. You have to live normal High-school life at day, while at night you fight so called Shadows using creatures called Persona. You can fuse them to create new Personas, and make them stronger by the bonds you form with certain people during day. It's really awesome game.
Sadly it has one major problem(To me at least...): English voice acting... It sucks, because it doesn't matter how hard those actors try they will always sound inferior to the original Japanese ones. I must admit the voices are well-matched here, but it still sounds so fake when english speaker uses japanese additions like "-san" or "-chan". Also even thought the voices are well matched they still lack the overall quality of Japanese ones. Just when you hear Japanese voices you can hear they put their hearts into it(Even If you can't understand most of it, like me...), in english ones you just... don't.
But even with those voices the game is still worth buying. It's probably one of the few japanese RPG's I actually played through more than once.


Witcher 7+/10


Witcher 2 9+/10


Sengoku Rance 8+/10


Sengoku Basara 7+/10


Dynasty Warriors 6 Empires 8/10


Way of the Samurai 3 6+/10


Heavy Rain 9/10


Love Plus 7-/10
Gets boring rather quickly(After a month, maybe two), I seriously don't understand that japanese guy who got married to this game...


Red Dead Redemption 9+/10


GTA IV 9-/10


GTA San Andreas 9-/10


Fallout 3 8+/10


Borderlands 2 (Awesome game but I won't rate it because Steam suddenly deleted it from my account for some reason and I couldn't finish it... assholes)


Football Manager 2013 (Oh my god, this game has so many options! I'm not rating because I'm still not sure how to play it: I barely win with teams a lot weaker than mine...)



Omerta City of Gangsters 6+/10
Okay game, but get's quite repetitive quickly...


Assassin's Creed 8/10


Assassin's Creed 2(Brotherhood and Revelations too, because it's all Ezio's story) 9/10


Assassin's Creed 3 7/10


Postal 2 7+/10


Postal 3
2/10
I never seen so buggy and stupid(I can't find other word for it...) game. It sucks. That's all I can say


Catherine 8-/10
Awesome game from the creators of Persona. You play as Vincent, a 32-year old guy who's girlfriend Katherine is pressing him into marriage that he isn't ready for. One day while drinking at the bar he meets Catherine, a mysterious pretty girl who is clearly interested in him... Next morning Vincent wakes up on his bed and is shocked and surprised to see naked Catherine(Of course the nudity is censored...) lying next to him... since then he also starts having strange nightmares every night... Gameplay is mostly a puzzle-platformer which definitely isn't my favourite kind of game, but for some reason I kind of liked it here. There are also sections where you are in the bar "The Stray Sheep" and you can talk to people or reply messages from Catherine and Katherine. The english voice acting didn't bother as much as I thought it would, it was really decent here(But it would still be awesome if they included japanese voices in the game...).

Until the end of May the game is available for free on PSN if you have Playstation Plus account, it's a great occasion to check it out.


Samurai Warriors 2: Empires 7+/10


Jade Empire 8+/10


Dragon Age:Origins
9+/10


Dragon Age 2
7/10
The worst of Bioware games I played(That doesn't mean it's bad, but rather disappointing)... It's not their fault though. I blame the Empi... I mean EA,*Imperial March music from Star Wars plays*. More about their practices in my Mass Effect trilogy opinion...


Fahrenheit(Known as Indigo Prophecy in some countries) 9/10


Civilization V 8+/10


Binary Domain 5+/10


Rune Factory: Oceans
7/10
Nice mix of games like Harvest Moon and some RPG elements. But it can get annoying sometimes(I can't beat that damn Fire Crab at the second shrine... I tried so many times, and finally just decided to give up...). Also I hate the fact they didn't gave the option to choose japanese voice acting(Don't tell me they couldn't. A Blu-Ray disc could easily fit both dubbings). I hate english voices in games like this, they just sound so... fake. I mean when a 30 year old japanese woman plays a young girl she really can sound cute like she should, but when an english speaking woman does it... it's just awkward and fake. Also you can often hear that english actors aren't trying very hard to display emotions or anything...


Sakura Wars 5:So Long My Love 9/10
Awesome mix of turn-based tactical game and Visual Novel. We take the role of Shinjiro Taiga, young japanese military academy graduate, who comes to New York in order to join the "New York Combat Revue" a group of mech-using people who fight the evil powers wanting to take over the world.
EVERY japanese game released anywhere should take this one as example how to make everyone happy. When it was first released on PS2 you basically were getting two copies of this game in one box: One disc contained the game completely translated, including crappy english dubbing, the second one was the same thing but with original Japanese voice acting! That was really awesome of the publisher to do something like this for the gamers(Why nobody else does it?! Today you don't even need two discs because Blu-Rays usually have enough capacity for the additional voice acting. Yet the developers still very often just cut the Japanese voices replacing them with crappy english ones. There are a few exceptions like Agarest: Generations of War or Way of The Samurai 3, but it's not enough!).
Anyway the game is really awesome, I played it on the PS2 emulator with a PS3 pad connected to PC and it worked quite smoothly slowing down only during some cutscenes when too many characters were on the screen(Another good thing is that on emulator you can use the cheats, which can speed up subsequent playthroughts. I don't know If I would want to try unlocking Ratchet's ending without them...)


Devil May Cry 4
8/10


DmC:Devil May Cry (I'm not rating it... to be perfectly honest, game is okay as it is, but... I really hate what they did to all characters in this one. Therefore I won't rate it.)
The new Dante is nothing more than just an punkish idiotic asshole(Yeah, he is not emo as many people though, but I don't know If that wouldn't be better...), who also has some very "intelligent" dialogues exchanges, here's my favorite: Enemy:"Fuck you!" Dante:"Fuck you!" Enemy:"Fuck youuuuuuuuuu!". I must say I laughed when I heard one of the developers call it an "Almost Shakespearian acting" somewhere on youtube... Imagine how "Romeo and Juliet" or "Macbeth" must be according to these guys...
As I wrote before the game isn't bad by itself, it's a typical well-done slasher. It just has no reason to be called Devil May Cry...


Hitman:Codename 47 7+/10


Hitman 2:Silent Assassin 9-/10


Hitman Contracts 8+/10


Hitman Blood Money 9/10


Hitman Absolution 7+/10


Fate/Extra 8+/10
Another PSP RPG, a little similiar to Persona 3 Portable in terms of walking around dungeons, finding items there and fighting(Though the fighting system is different, it's kind of like rock-paper-scissors here, with some additions like skills and using items). You can choose one of three kinds of servants: Saber(Not the same one from anime and visual novel, but she looks almost exactly the same.), Archer(Probably the same guy as in VN and anime. I don't know Because I didn't choose him) or Caster(Not the one from VN or anime. This one is a cute magic-using kitsune. She seems more fun than Saber, so she was my first choice.) Also the game has the original Japanese voice acting, which is awesome.
The game is set up in alternate world to the one from VN or anime(I actually played the VN but it was a while ago, and I couldn't remember much...) so knowing them isn't necessarry(Of course with their knowledge you can instantly recognize some familiar characters like:Rin Tosaka, Shinji Matou, Sakura Matou, Taiga Fujimura or Kotomine.). The game receives same rate as Persona 3, because even though it has Japanese voices it can also be very annoying sometimes(You can't save while in dungeon, so If you grind and get few levels and then accidentally die you have to repeat from the moment you entered... It happened to me twice...). Also I'm getting bored of endings like this...(I won't spoil, but I feel that endings like this or similiar are really popular lately.)


Inuyasha:The secret of the cursed mask 8-/10
A PS2 RPG and the only source of my information about Inuyasha's world(I never watched anime, or read the manga. I only eventually read the wiki.). Pretty good game, but VERY annoying if you don't use a walkthrough found on the internet. You will be getting lost in forests or other locations all the time trying to find a way to your destination, and the enemies will be attacking you almost all the time. Also the combat seems really slow(At least on the emulator), and the game doesn't look very good even for the PS2 standards(Excepting the artwork, the artwork is great, but everything 3D not so much...). Also there's no UNDUB version to find on the internet, so I was forced to play with crappy english voices.
Then... why did I rated it so high? Because it was fun to play overall, and it introduced me to some awesome characters. Also the game lets you gain friendship points with the main characters, by spending time with them while resting in towns(Kind of like in a dating sim, you get pictures for every scene. No hentai ones of course, because it's a PS2 game, so the most you will see is Kagome or Sango taking a bath and getting angry at you for peeping...)


Spec Ops: The line 7+/10
Surprisingly good shooter. Most important in this game is an interesting story with an awesome ending unexpected from a game of this genre(I accidentally spoiled myself a major detail about it, but still I really liked discovering the story). The game features moral choices throughout it although they are... disapppointing. They are really hard choices and that's a good thing, but the truth is they have almost no effect on the story... Also the game seemed rather short to me(About 5-6 hours). But despite those flaws it's still a good game. And remember... It's not always good to want to be a hero.


Minna Daisuki Kozukuri Banchou 8+/10


Kenka Bancho: Badass Rumble 8/10

Fire Emblem: Awakening 9-/10
I was really unsure about this game at first. Mostly because I never played any Fire Emblem game before, however my reluctance soon disappeared. Game is very well done tactical RPG, I really enjoyed playing it from beginning to end, and I already plan to replay it few more times. It managed to avoid linearity, problem of many tactical RPG games. There you have many side missions(Often adding new characters to your army), possibility to change class of already leveled characters or increasing supports between characters which eventually might lead to them marrying. Story of the game is good, and characters are also mostly unique and interesting. Overall it's one of the best games for 3DS(And there aren't many aside from Pokemon, and Rune Factory... which was not released in Europe... congrats Nintendo that region lock surely is a genius idea...). Anyway, if you have 3DS this game is definitely worth your attention.

Persona 4 Golden 9++/10(Game itself) 4+/10(Dubbing)

Great adventure with awesome story, interesting characters, fun gameplay and... disappointing english dubbing. But let's do it from the start!
Just like it's predecessor, the game is a mix of RPG and visual novel. We are a highschooler who arrives to small town of Inaba, where we discover our mysterious power to call beings called personas. At the same time the peaceful town becomes afraid of strange murder cases. Only our hero and his friends can solve the mystery and stop the murderer...
The Social Link system comes back in even better and more engaging version. Finally our bonds with team members have actual influence on their performance in battle(They give new special moves, or let them shield you from damage sometimes, and when maxed out evolve their personas in more powerful forms). The game generally has two types of gameplay, the real world and TV world one. In real world we try to max out Social Links each of which represents one of arcanas Personas are assigned to. More powerful social link=More power for your new persona of the corresponding arcana whenever you fuse it at mysterious Velvet Room. The TV world part is a more typical jRPG where we go to dungeons and using personas we fight creatures called shadows that reside in them. Fighting system is typical turn-based combat, but it's well done and flows well.

As I wrote at the beginning, story is good and engaging, characters are memorable as we meet them better through their Social Links... however the game suffers because of the english dubbing. Don't get me wrong! It's not terrible. However I fail to notice why people consider it "very good", even with it's numerous problems:
1. Many actors are clearly too old for high schoolers. Yukiko sounds to be in her late thirties... Most of others doesn't sound anywhere close to high school either.
2.Some of them don't even try to act.Look at scene with drunken Dojima, actor clearly didn't give a crap that his character is so drunk that he can't stand, and for most of the time kept reading his lines normally just doing awkward pauses from time to time whenever "..." appeared in the script. Oh, and all actors sound awkward when reading Japanese honorifics... But it's not their fault, it's fault of dubbing's existence.
2,5. Rise's voice... just it. Her actress can't decide If she wants her speech to be overly cute or stereotypical american highschool girl. It results in a voice that makes you want to strangle her on the spot... thank god for option to turn off voices.
3.Terribly translated song in one of the anime cutscenes.DON'T LET NON-JAPANESE GIRLS TRY SINGING J-POP... IT WILL RAPE YOUR EARS! Especially with Rise's voice actress...
4. Taking some freedoms in translating because "it would sound weird when spoken". I bet we owe the "wonderful" megawords like "Ihateyouyoustupidjerkgodieinhell" spoken by tsunderish Marie to our dear translators who thought "baka baka baka baka!"("Idiot idiot idiot idiot") would sound stupid when spoken... well, probably it would, but those megawords make it sound even worse, at least to me. I'm sure they took much more freedoms like that(I known that in Persona 3 they were changing honorifics each character was using for others for the same reason of not sounding too well when spoken... So we can safely assume it also happens there.)
5. Most importantly, related to previous one... IF YOU THINK IT SOUNDS WEIRD IN DUB, WHY DUB THE GAME AT ALL?! I mean most people playing jRPGs prefer original Japanese dubbings. People who dislike Japan won't buy the game anyway because of it's numerous references to it! YOU PUBLISHERS THINK YOU WILL APPEAL TO THE BIGGER AMOUNTS OF PEOPLE WHILE IN REALITY YOU ONLY ANNOY PEOPLE WHO WANTED TO BUY YOUR GAME ANYWAY! Dubbings in games like that are waste of money and effort... Better go for cheaper but better translation of subtitles, not only it makes game more climatic but also satisfies all sides!
6. Dear publishers, you really have to give us crappy english dub... AT LEAST HAVE DECENCY TO GIVE PLAYERS CHOICE BETWEEN ORIGINAL JAPANESE AND CRAPPY ENGLISH!

Whew... Now that I finished my rant, I can say what's actually wasn't too bad in the dub. So... Troy Baker as Kanji actually sounded and acted pretty good("I'm ready to be born, dammit!" XD). Yosuke's voice actor actually sounds like a high schooler, and sometimes you can even hear emotions in his voice. While she sounds too old Yukiko's voice actress wasn't too bad either(Except for all obviously fake laughing which happens often to Yukiko). Naoto voice while also being clearly too old(And being a victim of translation, because here we don't know why she sounds like a guy to people... In Japanese she was probably using manly "boku" to refer to herself which could lead to people think her speech is manly.) was generally acting well too.

Oh well... even with that dub, it's still really awesome game. If you have PS Vita, this game is a must have! If you have PS2, you can always get the older version of the game. The additional things in Vita version are new events(Including ski trip with your party), new Social links + Arcanas(Jester and Aeon), new character who works as a skill card shop(Marie), and new difficulties(Including "Very Easy" on which you have unlimited continues in case you die in battle). Overall, if you have occasion, get this game! It's definitely worth it!

Papers, Please 8/10
Papers, Please is an indie game in which we take the role of border inspector of communist country of Arstotzka. Our job is to check people's documents as they try to pass the border. Also you need to earn money in order to keep your family healthy and fed. It might sound boring at first, but the game quickly proves to be really interesting, despite the way it sounds. During your job you will often need to make difficult choices:Should you let through your friend's beloved woman as he asked you to, even thought she doesn't have necessary documents(Thus you will receive a penalty)? Should you help a mysterious group of revolutionists called Ezic? Despite how it might seem at first, some of your choices might affect the future of the whole country(Game also has 20 endings, few of which are just variations of others, but most are different). Also as the game moves on, the government will keep forcing more and more documents to the people, which you will need to check. Also we get nice satire on many aspects of communist countries: Before your checkpoint there's always a big, seemingly endless line of people waiting for their turn, which was a common sight in front of shops or government offices in that system. We also can see also typical for that system paranoia, not only towards foreigners but even for their own people(Example: At certain point of the game we get directive to confiscate all passports of Arstotzkan citizens...You obviously don't need to do that, but it will result in big penalties for your pay at end of the day.). The only things I disliked are that it's sometimes really annoying trying to find discrepancies in documents(But I guess that's actually similiar to real job at the border...), and how annoying it is to sometimes
Overall the game is fun in my opinion, it also shows very well that paranoic, oppresive communistic atmosphere, definitely worth that 9.99$ on GOG.com I spent on it.

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon 8/10
Even thought it's named Far Cry 3, the game has nothing to do with insanity and drugs filled adventures of Jason Brody. The game takes place in "distant future" of year 2007. We are a mark IV cyber-commando named Rex "Power" Colt, on a mission to eliminate an evil cyber commando who has gone rogue and is in possesion of dangerous rockets. We can quickly notice that the game is a sort of tribute/parody to american action movies and animations from 80's, everything from the looks of the world, the story and music reminds us of those(Just listen to the main theme and try to tell me that it doesn't make you think of those things.). The game is filled with humor, for example the description of the bow goes more or less like this: "Do you think it's a medieval weapon? But look! It has blue neons on it! So IT IS futuristic!", or there's a side mission where you need to kill four turtles that started living in the sewers beneath one of the garrisons you liberated(There are also pizza boxes scattered in them... Sounds familiar?).
Normal gameplay is similiar to normal Far Cry 3, you walk or ride around, kill people and animals(And big blood dragons that shoot powerful lazers on you!), liberate garrisons, level up to get new skills and such, but everything is so awesomely over the top and as I mentioned full of humour(Even tips on loading screens are like: "Collect ammo, you need it to shoot people!" or "If you need money, search the corpses! There's nothing morally wrong about that!")
The only downside of the game is it's length... It took me about 6 hours to finish it WITH doing most of the side missions and liberating all garrisons, but I guess the game isn't so cheap for no reason(I bought the Uplay version for about 2.50 euro...). Overall very good game and lots of fun, If you like FPS games that doesn't take themselves too seriously, you must get it!

The Last Of Us 8+/10
Please don't kill me yet! I will explain why the rate is so "low", while everyone are praising this game as If it was the holy grail of gaming itself.
First of all I really like Joel and Ellie, they are awesome characters, I really cared about them, and wondered what will happen to them. The story is very good overall(Although the beginning seems rather weak compared to the second half of it.). I especially like the ending, it's morally ambiguous but perfectly understandable when you think about the history of one of the main characters. I won't go into details because it would be shame to spoil it to someone(I have to admit I spoiled a part of it to myself after I got angry at the game, but I will write about it later...). In this matter game would deserve a 9 or even 10/10 but sadly there's also gameplay itself...
And it's not bad, but... for a game that's supposed to make me interested in the drama of the story, feel sad or happy when the characters do so... The frustration after losing repeatedly at the same place was making it very hard for me sometimes.
First of all: enemies constantly appearing behind your back(Mostly the human ones). I know that it's more that they just sneaked behind me, but it was so damn annoying when I'm shooting three guys(Who usually have sniper precision even with pistols...) in front of me and then fourth guy appearing out of nowhere makes an additional hole in my ass with his shotgun. Maybe it's genius AI but it was really damn annoying. I know I could try to lower the difficulty... but I'm too proud to change the difficulty after beginning the game on one(Unless it's a change to harder one).
Second: Clickers and their one-hit kills. The person who came up with making clickers(A kind of the "zombies") so fast, so durable and doing one hit kills, must be a hardcore sadist taking pleasure in seeing gamers die repeatedly... The fact that they can't see you(They are blinded by the progressing infection) doesn't change much because they can perfectly locate you by just listening(And sometimes they hear you even when you sneak!). And they are like the second most common type of infected!
Also the puzzles in the game are repetitive as hell and they got annoying quickly(Swim to the piece of wood on water or find it and throw it into the water, let Ellie jump on it, take her where you can't get.... voila! the door is opened. Eventually take a ladder, and place it somewhere else to get where you need to go...)
Those things got me so annoyed at certain point that I didn't wanted to play anymore and just watched the ending on youtube(Althought without the epilogue, only the last level itself)... Oh my god, I regretted that later as I managed to come up with right tactics to make things much less annoying later and eventually finished the game... I only had problems on the last levels when you need to fight multiple soldiers equipped with "Helmets of Unfair Face Protectiveness +1"(Seriously those are just helmets without any face protection at all, and yet they survive even thought you clearly shot them in their unprotected face! WTF?!) and assault rifles. But it's understandable since those are last levels, therefore they are supposed to be more challenging than others.
Overall I think it's a very good game, althought not as perfect as many people make it to be.
Oh, and graphics were outstanding(Especially characters), it's amazing what Naughty Dog studio can do with it on PS3. Althought there were some things with visibly lower resolution textures(Like the TVs they just looked strange compared to the rest).

Idolmaster 2 (JAP) 8-/10
I finally gave in to my own curiosity about this franchise that I decided to get myself a game without having any real knowledge about Japanese language, and I regret nothing. It's too bad that I can't understand the scenes though, but I guess you can't have everything... Game is relatively easy to play as long as you use online guides, especially Idolmaster 2 strategy site in english. Idea is simple you pick a unit of three idol girls and produce them to win Idol Academy Award within 55 weeks. First of the girls you pick becomes the leader and you will be getting more of her scenes than the others. The choice of songs was disappointing for me thought... none of my favourites is available from the start you need to buy them as DLC(1800 or 1200 yen each depending on the song... WTF?! For this price I could buy some real artist's CD with much more songs!), which also forces you to create account on japanese PSN in order to be able to buy them at all(But you don't need it to play the game itself of course)... It's a bit annoying but I got somehow used to few of the available songs(But seriously why they needed to put shitty "Ai liek Hamburger" song instead of... anything else? It doesn't really sound like a real song, more like some fast food's commercial, it's simply the worst of available ones...). But let's go back to the gameplay. You need to pick costumes and amulets that will strenghten your idols statistics or(in case of amulets) will give you some perks during performances. Aside from that you take your idols to lessons which are three simple minigames in which the better score you get, the more the stats of your unit will increase. When you are performing there's another minigame where you need to press the buttons for different stats appeals(Vocal, dance and visual. You can press whichever you want, but each use decreases the score multiplier for this appeal) to the rhytm of the song.
It was quite fun to play it and rest from constant slaughtering hordes of enemies in other games. And it's always nice to see a unit I chose singing whichever song I chose. Also it was nice to see Chihaya not being such an emo like in the anime. She's serious, cool and very focused on singing, a bit bad with technology and social contacts, but NOT a damn constantly depressed emo that you think is about to take a razor and cut herself on nearest occasion!
If the DLC songs weren't so damn expensive, and I could understand what they are talking about maybe I would give the game a 9/10, but those flaws are too much(Besides it would be bad If I rated it higher than Last of Us...).
© Copyright 2013 Darkblader (darkblade7557 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1928816-Darkbladers-video-game-list