*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1929371-A-Lesson-from-My-Son
Rated: E · Monologue · Inspirational · #1929371
Our children can teach us faith, and we are never too old to learn.
I have struggled with really grasping the full implications of Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desire of your heart."  I understand what delight is.  It means to make happy, to give joy.  My problem was how to do that for myself.  The verse say delight yourself.  That means I am responsible for the happiness or joy!  That is too much, right?

Well, recently I think I have finally understood what that verse means...from my son!

My son lost his job.  That certainly takes away a lot of happiness and joy.  Then although he and his wife had the joy of discovering a new baby is on the way, his wife became very ill, bedridden, unable to work.  That left my son to be "all things to all people" in his home.  He became feeder, bath-giver, and playmate to his 3 year old son.  He became nurse and caregiver for his ill wife.  He had household chores, bills to pay, errands to run, and, oh yeah, l job to find!

Now, I think anyone would cut him a little slack if he gave in for a while to self-pity.  Yet, during that time I spent time with him at least once a week and read his daily blogs.  Every single time we talked he told me how he had encouraged his wife to see how God had been faithful to them.  He had spent time praying with his son.  He sought counsel from his pastor and asked others to pray for them.  His daily blogs absolutely glorified God and how we grow from the experiences he puts us through.  He spoke of his trust in God's plan and how his hope was in God alone. 

Although I saw my son tired and weary, I never saw him despondent.  He remained hopeful and positive for his wife. 

I think this is Psalm 37 in action. NO one seemed to be focused on delighting my son.  Instead, he delighted himself by declaring his faith, voicing his trust in God's provision, and choosing to look forward to God's answers.  I could see how that brought a measure of joy into his life.  Now after months of unemployment, God has given him a job...one he really wants!  His wife is doing better and is able to be back at work.  These were the desires of his heart.  I truly believe my son learned to find joy and peace in God when it could be found no where else.  I believe God is now giving him the desires of his heart.  HOW GOOD GOD IS!!!!
© Copyright 2013 B.J. Reeder (bjreeder at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item.php/item_id/1929371-A-Lesson-from-My-Son